Good Thoughts For Joe Please - Updated

Updated Post #37

Back in September 2011, Joe injured his rear left paw in the yard, nearly severed his toe. He had it stitched up (and it was questionable if it could be saved) and the toe was saved, but it kind of healed at a funny angle, and ever since then, he's had issues with that foot, either occasionally stepping on it weird or occasional limping.

That winter, we didn't allow him to run in the yard at all (he has a LONG history of lots and lots of foot cuts on ice and snow) and that spring, we weren't too shocked to see that he wasn't necessarily in the best shape anymore as far as stamina. He'd run a few laps in the yard and being pretty shaky and worn out. We chalked this out to him being out of shape after 5 months of short leash walks (we live in Wisconsin where winters SUCK and Joe isn't a fan of walks)

All last summer, we tried off and on to help him get back into shape but due to him having poor recall, he would often overdo it and thus, we ended up taking him for short leash walks and let him run less and less. His overall stamina seemed to decrease due to the lack of exercise to the point where it became rare that we let him run in the yard at all, despite his frequent attempts to run like the wind while being on a leash *smirk*

Fast forward to this winter. By December 2012, that left foot seemed to bother him more and more and he would occasionally have that leg give out a little on him. I took him to the vet and they definitely found back pain and hip pain. We started him on a very low dose of gabapectin and he was very responsive to that. In January, we started acupuncture and totally took him off the pain meds.

He responded GREAT to acupuncture and we were to the point where we were five weeks between appointments and for 90% of that time, we wouldn't be noticing any weakness or stiffness in his gait (he never really limps, it's always just been a stiff straight legged walk) The vet felt very confident that it wasn't cancer because it was responding so well to acupuncture and it wasn't getting worse at any point - he was no longer on pain meds, not deteriorating in any way. By March, he was going for 1-2 mile walks with his Dad, which is something he had never had the energy to do even as a young guy.

Then in May, he ran wild in the yard, WAAY too many laps and overdid it. (He unfortunately has zero recall) Came in and his legs could barely support him. From that point on, it was like we were back at square one and I have been kicking myself for letting him off leash as he was doing so well. So we went back to accupuncture, started seeing some improvement again, feeling like it would take awhile, but things were heading in the right direction. Then two weeks ago, suddenly his right leg started acting the same way his left had originally. Shakiness, stiff, once or twice a week would give out a little while walking. It was like his muscles had wasted overnight. No real limping and no holding it up and this boy is a MAJOR drama queen and limps and screams when he so much as gets some poop on his foot, just a weird gait and weakness.

Went to acupuncture two days later, saw a tiny improvement after that, but he seems very weak in the hind end. Even short potty breaks seem to tire him out. Appetite is great, he's happy, roaching, playing with toys, etc. Went back for another appointment today and he's lost two pounds in the two weeks despite not eating lessened amounts. For the first time ever, she couldn't find any painful areas in his back, which made her think something other than back pain was causing all these problems (we were really leaning towards arthritis/LS/etc due to his constant back pain) Between the weight loss, weakness, and lack of back pain, the vet instantly recommended we run labs and I'll get results back tomorrow.

I had FINALLY convinced myself that this wasn't cancer because hey, the weirdness has been going on for well over a year! Acupuncture was making a huge difference for five months! But now suddenly for the other leg to weaken and the sudden weight loss, I'm scared to death.

If anyone has any thoughts other than the ones screaming in my head (cancer cancer cancer cancer) I would love to hear them.

Or, any and all good thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated. Joe's 9th Gotcha Day is 28 days away. He is my heart and soul and idea of life without him absolutely guts me. I know you guys understand. I feel like this is such a crapshoot - it's either cancer or his back end is failing him and we can't really seem to fix that either. He's only 11. He's my baby....

Edited by Wendie

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Maybe an x-ray of those legs and back if nothing useful turns up on the bloodwork?

All best thoughts for handsome Joe :wub: :wub: :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry Joe is not doing well. I know only too well how scary those symptoms can be. I hope you can find and treat the problem.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Maybe an x-ray of those legs and back if nothing useful turns up on the bloodwork?

All best thoughts for handsome Joe :wub: :wub: :wub: .

I've been avoiding xrays for a long time for two reasons. One is that Joe would be absolutely traumatized by them. He's scared to death of the vet and being man-handled and I'm fairly sure they would end up needing to sedate him to get him through it in one piece, which I hate to do at this point.

The other reason is I don't know how well I'll be able to function if I get 100% confirmation that it is cancer. I realize how stupid that sounds, but yeah.... Up until now, I've been able to feel like there was hope and I was doing something that was helping him. Up until the 11th, this really seemed like LS or severe arthritis (especially due to it's duration and lack of noticeable limping or need for pain medications) I'm obsessive crazy about him and I really don't think I will sleep again until he passes away if I actually visually see cancer on x-rays. So yeah, while it's not rational, I've been avoiding them for my mental health....

Edited by Wendie

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

{{{{{{{{{{Wendie}}}}}}}}}}

If he does need to go to the vet, it might be worth asking about some meds he can take beforehand to calm him a bit. That might also be enough to get him through any imaging procedures without traumatizing him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awwww E. Holding you all tightly in my prayers.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

sending good thoughts for Joe

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

While the weight loss is worrisome, in regards to the limping and standing, have you tried any alternate forms of therapy? Ryder has responded incredibly well to chiropractic adjustments for a recurring limp, as well as to supplements that promote strong joints. Our older Kasey has been doing better since being put on the supplements as well.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I think I'd be reluctant to have the chiropractor treat Joe without x-rays first.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

While the weight loss is worrisome, in regards to the limping and standing, have you tried any alternate forms of therapy? Ryder has responded incredibly well to chiropractic adjustments for a recurring limp, as well as to supplements that promote strong joints. Our older Kasey has been doing better since being put on the supplements as well.

Sending good thoughts your way.

He's been on glucloasmine supplements for about a year and on Fresh Factors for several years.

Right now he is receiving bimonthly acupuncture treatments and he is on herbs for body soreness and herbs that are suppose to help with hind end weakness.

We also tried a round of pred to see if that would help with any possible inflammation and have done a trial of doxy to rule out lyme and anaplasmosis, both of which are common here.

My acupuncture vet was going to call with the bloodwork results at either noon or three depending on when she got into the office... it's beginning to look like 3:00 at this rate :sigh:

It's also possible that the weight loss isn't that significant. When we weighed him on the usual "out front" scale which is where I usually weigh him, he was 57.5 pounds, which is horrifying because he's usually 60-61. When we weighed him on a more accurate in room scale, he was 59.6. So it's POSSIBLE he's lost less than a pound (I think he was 60.3 two weeks ago) BUT that would only be the case if the front scale was off kilter, which they said is possible. I don't want to be too hopeful about something like that though.

Fletcher got acupuncture and was on Chinese herbs for pain and hindquarter weakness, probably the same ones Joe has been on. I found the combined treatment helped him a lot, but as time went on, he did get more wobbly, just a natural progression because of age. I hope the blood work is good, and his limp turns out to be just more arthritis. Sounds like the weight loss might not be significant either.

Sending good thoughts for Joe and for you. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown