Good Thoughts For Joe Please - Updated

Guest budsmom

Good thoughts from your neighbor to the south. Lots of white light and prayers, too. Joe is a special guy and I hope you can find a treatment that helps.

Sending good thoughts for your boy, hoping its nothing serious.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

No advice, just good thoughts for Joe and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

An update for everyone -

His bloodwork came back completely normal with nothing changed from 6 months ago.

Took him to my regular vet and she found his back to be very painful which in this case is good news, as it could explain the rear end weakness (better than jumping to the conclusion that something MORE is going on) and we're guessing that he wasn't showing any pain responses on Wednesday because there was a bad thunderstorm and his adrenalin was pumping big time (he's a huge thunderphobe)

He hasn't been on any pain medication other than the herbs ("body sore" and "hind quarter weakness") so we're adding pain medication into his pain.

The scale at the clinic does indicate he's at his lowest weight ever (which is down about 1.5 pounds, not the 2.5 pounds we thought before) so we're doing an ultrasound on Monday just to rule out something else going on. I'm trying to keep very hopeful that it's arthritis in his back and hips (again, he's been struggling with the one leg for 1.5 years now, so some of this isn't sudden onset like osteo) but we'll see how things pan out.

Ultrasound and second opinion on gait/etc is at 3:00 on Monday. Continued good thoughts that they find NOTHING wrong internally would be much appreciated. I'm very happy to be able to feel a bit hopeful again, but am hoping I'm not just chasing unicorns....

Thanks for listening!

Edited by Wendie

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Aw, hope the meds help your boy and hope the ultrasound isn't too traumatic. Let us know how the appointment goes, OK? And give him some scritchies (and maybe a little ice cream?) for me meanwhile.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

WHAT A FREAKING DAY!!!

Joe's ultrasound came back perfect. They scanned basically everything inside of him and it's all perfectly healthy, tumor or strange spot free. Even his kidneys are perfectly symmetrical.

Despite being part of the plan, the vet did not do the x-rays we had planned on. He felt after studying his gait and learning about his 1.5 year history with the odd gait and weakness in the left leg that this is most definitely lumbar stenosis and with his history of bleeding issues, the sudden decline with the right leg is due to a blood clot moving somewhere on the spine. Just like my acupuncture vet said - if this was bone cancer or a spinal tumor, there is no way that it would be going on for the past 6 months without having a sharp decline or without significant limping (and lameness) on zero pain meds. While I would have really preferred that he had done the x-rays just for my peace of mind, he had already reversed Joe's mild sedation when he came back to tell me the good news about the ultrasound. He honestly felt he would have been putting Joe through something unnecessarily stressful and taking my money greedily had he done x-rays, so yeah, I guess I'll have to live with that. That and it goes back to if it is some sort of bone cancer, there isn't anything we would do than we're doing now, managing pain.

Unfortunately the story doesn't end there. I drove home on such a high of the good news of a SUPER CLEAN ultrasound, was about 12 minutes into my 15 minute drive home when I realized I had forgotten Joe's file at the clinic. Turned around and got it, drove back home. So our total time from leaving the clinic to getting home was probably about 25 minutes. Went to get Joe out of the car and he was completely unconscious. Totally unresponsive. To say my heart completely stopped is an understatement.

I rushed to my regular vet who is just 4 minutes down the road and thankfully, she was still there after hours. Joe woke up a little bit when we got him out of the car (carrying him into the clinic using his blanket as a stretcher) but had low respiration and was pretty unresponsive overall.

We got him hooked up to an IV and finally got ahold of the vet who sedated him (which of course, had closed for the night by then) to find out what the hell he'd given him for sedation. It wasn't anything greyhound unsafe or any weird dosages, so why he was flat out from it AFTER he'd been just fine to walk out to the car is very very weird. My vet was able to give him some additional drugs to counteract the drugs he had been given at the other clinic and he perked up for a while and then fell back into his unconscious state. A second dose of another anti-sedation drug and after about half an hour, he was back on his feet again.

To make a long story shorter, after a REALLY REALLY REALLY scary afternoon all around, Joe is home now, he has zero signs of any internal cancer, and since he hasn't fallen back into his sedation in the last several hours, we should be out of the woods.

We now just need to do more research on LS treatment and pain medications. Thank you all sooooo much for your good thoughts!!

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Guest OPointyDog

Holy cow! What a roller coaster!! Here's hoping for smooth sailing from here on out! And great news on the ultrasound!

What a horribly scary thing! But, I'm glad all has checked out well and that he is back home with you. Scritchies to your sweetest boy and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.