Jimmie Needs Good Thoughts

Today was horrible - Jimmie had a big seizure I saw him fall and (recklessly) stayed with him and kept him from hurting himself on furniture etc. Once he started coming out of it I backed off and let him alone, knowing that he would be incoherent to some degree. When he awoke, he was terrified and didn't know me and so I retreated and just watched him for a bit until he seemed calmer.

I called the vet and reported the incident and she asked me to bring him right in.

Jimmie was fine at the vet and she is testing for erlichia, valley fever, etc, etc. She started him on 65 mg of pheno twice a day for two days, an injection of baytril and one of dexamethasone for any brain swelling. He was very calm and quite himself except for being exhausted from the seizure. Jimmie never got to race school due to his broken leg as a very young pup, but of course, he has had exposure to all the standard stuff.

I now realize that he had a mini seizure last night and I discounted it, and another 2 days prior. Just a little frothing, disorientation, anxiety though and it passed very quickly. I should have accepted what was happening, but I chocked it up to me being hyper sensitive.

My previous boy Chip, Jimmies predecessor had seizures and died at 4 from liver failure due to the pheno. This, is not my first rodeo although I sure wanted it to be my only one.

Jimmie's seizure was outside at the back door in the exact location that my most beloved girl stroked out in my arms 3 years ago.

Please ... I know you can do it gt.... I love this boy so much and he does not deserve this. I'm suffocating with fear ... please send him your healing thoughts.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best wishes for you and Jimmie.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:goodluck Sending the very best wishes for Jimmie. And a hug for you. :grouphug Keep us posted on your mostest, handsomest boy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Those big seizures can be very scary. Since you've been through this before I'm going to wish you the best of luck. Hopefully he won't have the same problem with the pheno you other boy did. My Saint had those horrible seizures also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good thoughts for Jimmie. Please get better for you Mom!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

That must've been scary! Both you and Jimmie are in my thoughts.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

You might consider going to a neurologist. Some neuros are great but, others not so much. They will be able to discuss many of the options for medicines available today. Pheno is an old standby that works but, it is one of the earliest treatments and it can damage the liver. My Lucy is on Zonisamide which (so far) has not really any side effects. It doesn't work in all dogs and in some cases it stops working after a grace period of a year or so ...

The neurologist will be able to discuss all the options with you and they are usually better suited to dealing with seizures dogs than a regular vet. A regular vet is great if the dog only seizes a few times a year but, if you ever need to start combining medicines, you want a neurologist or, you want your vet consulting with a neurologist. The consultation fee is likely to be about 200+ and some neurologists require an MRI and spinal tap (2K+ in costs) but, not all do .. shop around and find one that doesn't.

There is an epilepsy mailing list that is great for providing all sorts of information - you might want to join. Their website is at http://EPIL-K9@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM <EPIL-K9@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM> and should describe how to get the emails.

If you dog has experienced more than 1 seizure in 24 hours, then you need to get a cluster-buster. What I use is rectal valium for Lucy. The intent is that after an initial seizure happens, to keep any more from happening. Otherwise, you can end up at the ER each time. It takes time and much information but, you deal with most of the seizures at home. It's only if a seizure is not stopping that it becomes a life-threatening situation and you have to get to the ER immediately.

Guest zombrie

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you and Jimmie are going through this. Jimmie is one of my GT favorites. Please keep us updated

Edited by zombrie

You might consider going to a neurologist. Some neuros are great but, others not so much. They will be able to discuss many of the options for medicines available today. Pheno is an old standby that works but, it is one of the earliest treatments and it can damage the liver. My Lucy is on Zonisamide which (so far) has not really any side effects. It doesn't work in all dogs and in some cases it stops working after a grace period of a year or so ...

The neurologist will be able to discuss all the options with you and they are usually better suited to dealing with seizures dogs than a regular vet. A regular vet is great if the dog only seizes a few times a year but, if you ever need to start combining medicines, you want a neurologist or, you want your vet consulting with a neurologist. The consultation fee is likely to be about 200+ and some neurologists require an MRI and spinal tap (2K+ in costs) but, not all do .. shop around and find one that doesn't.

There is an epilepsy mailing list that is great for providing all sorts of information - you might want to join. Their website is at http://EPIL-K9@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM <EPIL-K9@APPLE.EASE.LSOFT.COM> and should describe how to get the emails.

If you dog has experienced more than 1 seizure in 24 hours, then you need to get a cluster-buster. What I use is rectal valium for Lucy. The intent is that after an initial seizure happens, to keep any more from happening. Otherwise, you can end up at the ER each time. It takes time and much information but, you deal with most of the seizures at home. It's only if a seizure is not stopping that it becomes a life-threatening situation and you have to get to the ER immediately.

Thank you for this - we do not have a neurologist up here but my vet has conferred with the a neuro group in PHX (1.5 hrs drive) for my last two dogs and she mentioned them today as a possible place to turn. An MRI is just out of my price range tho.

Good point on the valium - I will get a small bit to keep on hand just in case. I briefly thought of it today but...not sure where the thought ended up though.

Thank you for the epi group info too.

My best to you and your girl Lucy.

I meant to add that Jimmie is 3.

Edited by HoundHeavenAZ

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

I'm confused as to why the vet started your boy on pheno already without a history of seizures??? Hoping this is just a transient problem for you.

Please start to mark the episodes on a calendar-time, length of seizure etc.. but, hopefully, there will be no more!

Edited by tbhounds

I'm confused as to why the vet started your boy on pheno already without a history of seizures??? Hoping this is just a transient problem for you.

Please start to mark the episodes on a calendar-time, length of seizure etc.. but, hopefully, there will be no more!

I think because of the two "mini" ones in the last couple of days. She wanted to see if she could prevent any others?? Just for two days to see if it works while we wait for all the labs to come back. Hopefully we'll have some clues from them.

Yep, I'm keeping a log.

Thanks.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie