Jimmie Needs Good Thoughts

my thoughts are with you and Jimmie

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimmie and I had a good night. We snuggled and he roached and then took most of the bed :)

This morning - out for a p & p (all normal). Back in for a nap - but when he woke he was having what I now call a "mini" seizure. Some frothing, head down, anxious, so I calmly asked him outside and he followed. He's my velcro baby so that was easy. I gave him his am pheno and now he's resting fine.

I called the vet to get some valium to have on hand in case he clusters.

He just came in to check up on me :)

Thank you all for caring for him too.

j

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Poor guy, hope you get some answers or can at least get him on a dose of medication that will control his seizures.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good thoughts for Jimmie and you. I hope you are able to get his seizures under control with the meds.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you all, it means so much to have someone that understands what this nightmare is like to just listen to me rant.

Went to get the valium and they tried to give me a syringe and I opted out for tablets. Couldn't imagine trying to administer it rectally as a 70# hound was seizing without puncturing an intestine .

I have to teach tonight so I'm taking him with me instead of leaving them home together. He's snoring sooooo peacefully now :beatheart

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

You can also have valium compounded into suppositories in case of clusters also, very easy to use.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:goodluck

I hope you get answers, and no more seizures.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Went to get the valium and they tried to give me a syringe and I opted out for tablets. Couldn't imagine trying to administer it rectally as a 70# hound was seizing without puncturing an intestine .

From what all the neurologists say, oral Valium isn't effective at treating or preventing seizures. It's needs to be given rectally (or intravenously when in the hospital) in order for enough to be absorbed into the brain. If the dog is actively seizing, it's safer (both for you and the dog) to administer something rectally than orally.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

We've had very good luck with things compounded by Roadrunner Pharmacy, and they're in Arizona and very quick to deliver. They even next-day deliver the first order for free if need be, or at least they used to.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

From what all the neurologists say, oral Valium isn't effective at treating or preventing seizures. It's needs to be given rectally (or intravenously when in the hospital) in order for enough to be absorbed into the brain. If the dog is actively seizing, it's safer (both for you and the dog) to administer something rectally than orally.

I'm sorry, I was unclear. Yes, it is to be given rectally. That's why I didn't want to trust myself with a syringe - I could see myself causing more damage with it than with a tablet. Thank you for the clarity that I am lacking the last couple of days.

We've had very good luck with things compounded by Roadrunner Pharmacy, and they're in Arizona and very quick to deliver. They even next-day deliver the first order for free if need be, or at least they used to.

Thanks for the tip. I used one in PHX with my last boy, they were also very quick and helpful. Can't remember the name at the moment, will have to check records if the need arises.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

I'm sorry, I was unclear. Yes, it is to be given rectally. That's why I didn't want to trust myself with a syringe - I could see myself causing more damage with it than with a tablet. Thank you for the clarity that I am lacking the last couple of days.

Thanks for the tip. I used one in PHX with my last boy, they were also very quick and helpful. Can't remember the name at the moment, will have to check records if the need arises.

Probably Diamondback Drugs, at least that's the one I use, they are in Scottsdale I think. I've always been very happy with them. I can give you their number if you can't find your records. I hope Jimmie is doing better!

You might consider going to a neurologist. Some neuros are great but, others not so much. They will be able to discuss many of the options for medicines available today. Pheno is an old standby that works but, it is one of the earliest treatments and it can damage the liver. My Lucy is on Zonisamide which (so far) has not really any side effects. It doesn't work in all dogs and in some cases it stops working after a grace period of a year or so ...

:nod Henry has been on Zoni since December and has been seizure-free. Seizures are definitely scary! It's good that your vet is testing for TBDs. Make sure they also run a full thyroid panel. And definitely consider doing a consult with a veterinary neurologist... I feel like many regular vets over-prescribe Pheno when there are a lot of options out there. If you decide to keep him on Pheno, consider a liver support supplement like Denamarin or milk thistle. Good thoughts for your boy.

Guest desertlady

Oh NO! I was so saddened to read about Jimmies seizure! All my prayers are going to Jimmie, and you, today (and all the time). After all you went through with Chip and seizures I figured you'd not have to go there again.

Sending buckets of prayers for Jimmie and lots of hugs of comfort to you. Scary, scary stuff, but lots of good advice here from those with vast experience. Please advocate for Jimmie when it comes to meds. Our guys are not a one-size-fits-all breed. Hoping for good news and effective meds that get those seizures under control.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Oh NO! I was so saddened to read about Jimmies seizure! All my prayers are going to Jimmie, and you, today (and all the time). After all you went through with Chip and seizures I figured you'd not have to go there again.

Thanks. One day at a time ... hug your hounds while you can. No one will ever love you better :)

Sending buckets of prayers for Jimmie and lots of hugs of comfort to you. Scary, scary stuff, but lots of good advice here from those with vast experience. Please advocate for Jimmie when it comes to meds. Our guys are not a one-size-fits-all breed. Hoping for good news and effective meds that get those seizures under control.

I'm so thankful for the advice and counsel here. I WILL be my dogs advocate and I WILL be asking for more advice. And I WILL be trying to win the lottery.

I'm hoping to get some labs back today so get ready GT as I'll need your help to make sense of them and to know if we're doing things right.

Today is going to be a greyt day no matter what ... my hounds told me how much they love me :kiss2:love2 And boy do I love them.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

I'm so sorry Jimmie is having seizures. Our Rainey developed them at age 10 and it turned out to be something related to her brain, like athropying or perhaps a tumor. While not "good", the fact that he is only 3 means is most likely "regular" epilepsy and your chances of getting it under control are a lot better than if he was older (almost always due to brain tumor, etc. when older).

applying an ice pack to the top middle area of the back REALLY helped Rainey, and another hound in our group that just started having them is now swearing by it too. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/icepack.htm

sending you both many hugs :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry that Jimmie is having seizures. They are the wost! A few years ago my Zephyr had encephalitis and ended up having seizures. I live in northern AZ and we went to the Veterinary Neurology Center that is in Phoenix. That's probably the one your vet referred you to. They did a wonderful job and saved him. Just thought I would let you know in case you decide to go there.

After he came I home I did have to use the liquid valium a few times with the syringe. It was a little hard to get in the bum because he was shaking so much, but I did and it worked. I bet the suppository would be easier, but I know one reason the liquid valium in the bum works so well is it gets into the system so fast. I wonder if it could do that in a suppository?

Zephyr takes Keppra and hasn't had any problems with the liver. It's supposed to be better for that. I did use Denamarin when he was on other treatment for the encephalitis and pheno for the seizures and I think it helped.

Sending good thoughts to you and Jimmie.

Edited by hikinghounds

Phone update from the vet on Thursday - no red flags in the lab reports. I'll try to get a print out today so I can see the values.

We're backing down the pheno 1/2 a tab each morning and night for 1 week, then we'll try weaning.

NO incidents since Wednesday am. -- fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your support and input and patience.

Jody

Jody, Leah & Jimmie

Just now saw this. Lots of good thoughts for Jimmie! Hope he's feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life