Spent The Night In Emergency..

Guest Nekos_Mommy

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of your boy. I hope he is doing okay.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Nekos_Mommy

The update so far is that he has been having many heavy, fast panting sessions when he wakes up (the house is cool, its not heat). I am concerned there is a little pain, but he still is acting playful and excited to go on walks. I found a new bruise on his groin yesterday :(. He has an appointment for 10 AM wednesday morning for the bone marrow biopsy (they took forever to get back to me) and I am going to shuttle a blood sample over to good samaritan hospital that same morning. Unfortunately I wont know more until then!

The update so far is that he has been having many heavy, fast panting sessions when he wakes up (the house is cool, its not heat). I am concerned there is a little pain, but he still is acting playful and excited to go on walks. I found a new bruise on his groin yesterday :(. He has an appointment for 10 AM wednesday morning for the bone marrow biopsy (they took forever to get back to me) and I am going to shuttle a blood sample over to good samaritan hospital that same morning. Unfortunately I wont know more until then!

Just throwing a thought out to the wind here. Many, many years ago I had a health issue which caused a great deal of blood loss, but slowly over a pretty long period of time (I was fixed up with transfusions and surgery), but because it was a gradual thing, I never tied it to the fact that I was easily winded whenever I got up to walk anywhere, even if it was across the room. Part of what was happening was as my red blood cells were decreasing with the loss, so was my oxygen carrying ability causing my lungs and heart to suffocate due to lack of oxygen.....thus always short of breath. I was told after I was all fixed up that I could have suffered a heart attack due to the lack of oxygen my body needed to function. I was beyond anemic, and instead of red blood cell rich blood, I was mostly water.

Just a crazy thought......but do you think that would be the same kind of thing going on with Neko? Could he be panting due to shortness of oxygen rather than pain?

Guest FawnFan

Nekos Mom - first, I have to commend you on being one of the most patient people I've encountered. Next, I'm so very sorry you and Neko are going through this situation. The pictures on the first page break my heart.

Next, I'm just seeing this whole thread and I would have lost my patience ummmm... three weeks ago?!! Let's just say I'm amazed at what you're going through... and you're in the business.

I really hope and pray they are able to figure out what is causing your precious, adorable looking boy all these problems.

Just a thought... have you been in contact with any of his siblings and their owners? Maybe one of them have already been through this and could help move this process along for you?

Will be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping he gets a diagnosis soon and can recover quickly.

-Jean

:hope:goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I was just browsing around on FB and came across this link which was posted on a holistic pet page. It mentions oxygen deprivation with low red blood cell count. This supports my post earlier about how I felt when I was low on red blood cells, so it seems it is the same for dogs as well as people.

I was hoping the article had more information overall, but has some useful information. I might be inclined to ask the vet if it's safe to continue walks until you can find out some more information on his condition. I would be afraid of the affects on Nekos body with lower oxygen supply during a walk.

I so hope the vets can get to the bottom of what is causing the bleeding. It's so frustrating not knowing.....sure wish our pups could talk to us!

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/01/21/anemia-symptoms.aspx

Guest Nekos_Mommy

I'm not sure how to contact his siblings, athough if tomorrow's bone marrow biopsy does not provide results I think I will!

His panting absolutely could be due to shortness of breath/lightheadedness, I have no idea if it is due to his anemia or because of pain. I am hoping that the bone marrow tomorrow is the final piece of the puzzle and we can figure out what he has so we can get him started on steroids or pain meds or something... crossing my fingers for something manageable..

thank you everyone for your kind words.. I know many people get frustrated when something is wrong with their animal and you're not getting any answers, but from working in this field and working intimately with many doctors you begin to learn that there is no magic wand to diagnose an animal. there are many cases that dont present as "classic" cases that take months to diagnose- if they even get a diagnosis... Sometimes you dont know until the necropsy when its too late. (morbid, i know). The doctors are doing a fantastic job of trying to get this figured out and have everyone imaginable involved. It helps that I work at the hospital so the doctors are being very open and honest about everything. they want to figure it out as much as I do! Now that good Samaritan is on board we can do the biopsy and the coagulopathy tests and hopefully get to the bottom of it!

On another note, my birthday is next week and my boyfriend got me a really sweet present :) its very shiny and pretty in person

sam0777f.jpg

I'm not sure how to contact his siblings, athough if tomorrow's bone marrow biopsy does not provide results I think I will!

His panting absolutely could be due to shortness of breath/lightheadedness, I have no idea if it is due to his anemia or because of pain. I am hoping that the bone marrow tomorrow is the final piece of the puzzle and we can figure out what he has so we can get him started on steroids or pain meds or something... crossing my fingers for something manageable..

I

thank you everyone for your kind words.. I know many people get frustrated when something is wrong with their animal and you're not getting any answers, but from working in this field and working intimately with many doctors you begin to learn that there is no magic wand to diagnose an animal. there are many cases that dont present as "classic" cases that take months to diagnose- if they even get a diagnosis... Sometimes you dont know until the necropsy when its too late. (morbid, i know). The doctors are doing a fantastic job of trying to get this figured out and have everyone imaginable involved. It helps that I work at the hospital so the doctors are being very open and honest about everything. they want to figure it out as much as I do! Now that good Samaritan is on board we can do the biopsy and the coagulopathy tests and hopefully get to the bottom of it!

On another note, my birthday is next week and my boyfriend got me a really sweet present :) its very shiny and pretty in person

sam0777f.jpg

Here is one of his sibs adopted thru SEGA. Type in the name Monroe to bring up Glo's Monroe. Not sure why the information disappears when the link is clicked, but it will take you to the search page of SEGA

http://www.greyhoundadoption.org/adopt/searchadopted.cfm

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

I know the SEGA member who has adopted Glo's Monroe. I just sent Neko's mom a contact link to use if she thinks it would be helpful.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Love the tags! Very nice!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Nekos_Mommy

no its from "the silver boutique" on etsy, a woman named joan jensen makes them.

I sent a message to GLo's Monroe's mother, hopefully she'll get back to me. Thanks for finding her!

Edited by Nekos_Mommy

Hoping for some good news here too. btw I adopted Glo's Destroyer, but not related.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Keeping your boy in my prayers. Beautiful necklace!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee