Large Weight Loss For Treasure

robinw

Hello,

We just returned from Treasure's senior wellness visit. She will be 12 in April. All blood work came out normal, but she has lost almost 10 pounds during the past year. Her diet is unchanged and her appetite remains very healthy. She is now being treated for a UTI, which didn't appear in her urine, but we're treating the symptoms (frequent urination, etc). She is also scheduled for a dental in two weeks. She is fed Go Natural!

Can anybody recommend ways to put some weight on her? Should I just I increase her food, even though she has been eating the same amount for years? Or is there something I can feed her, some kind of treat or add iLife that is healthy but not all fat? I will not feed her raw; it completely grosses me out.

Thanks

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Robin, so sorry to hear that Treasure has lost weight. This is what worked for me when I needed to put weight on Brandi. I started doing three meals a day like a lunch if your time schedule permits this. Also added pasta to the regular food, also add cooked oatmeal, cooked sweet potatoe (great source and minus the starch like a white potato). Good luck!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

My 12 year old, Plummer looks like she is losing weight also. I guess a senior thing!! But I am adding protein to his food which is Iam's natural. This morning I added a hard boiled egg and sometimes I will add chicken. I feed him whenever he shows interest in being hungrey. He is not on a feeding schedule. I also read that someone was including Ensure in meals. Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest OPointyDog

Did you discuss the possibility of Cushings disease? Our grey-GSD mix had that, and one of the first real clear symptoms was more frequent urination. She also gradually lost a lot of muscle mass and thus lost weight, even though her appetite was very good.

What about mixing in some higher-calorie treats (peanut butter kong?) or add-ins with her food?

Hope you find some answers!

Sam did that when he was 10--suddenly dropped a bunch of weight for no apparent reason. I increased his regular kibble from 3 cups a day to 4--and I let him have his regular treats more frequently, but I didn't try adding more fat or anything like that to his diet for fear of upsetting his temperamental digestive system. He put the weight back on, and it's stayed there for two years. He's still getting 4 cups, while his younger sister gets 3 or 3.5 cups.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear that Treasure is losing weight. If her teeth aren't terrible, I would recommned not doing the dental. At her age and given that she is losing weight, putting her under might exaperatate things. Of course this is not the case in all dogs, but two months after Bailey's dental, she was dx with bone cancer. I regret so much putting her under as anesthetic really takes it's toll on the oldies. Bailey was also 12.

Did Treasure's vet have any ideas? 10 pounds is a lot. In a human, we would probably call that situation "failure to thrive." Nutmeg is three months younger than Treasure (2001 must have been a very good year) and has also lost a little weight, although not as much as Treasure. I've added a 1/4 cup extra kibble each meal, for a total of about 175 calories more a day. I'm also giving her a teensy bit more treats. She has gradually gained back a few pounds. I prefered trying more calories of the same nutritional balance before adding something new, and luckily it has worked so far.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I have been making a "slop" of chicken, rice and veggies to add to Wink's kibble. I make a big pot that lasts me for more than a week. I end up giving her less kibble and more of the "slop". I also may add buttermilk and brown sugar or ensure. She also gets the biggest share of our supper left overs whatever they may be. Wink has always had a cast iron stomach so no worries there. :heart Treasure

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

How about giving her coconut oil? I am giving it to my two hounds- one is 7 and one is 11 1/2. Has a lot of good healing properties in it. My Luka has always been a skinny hound- everyone thinks he is right off the track- and since I have added it he is eating more and actually looks better.

Start off slow and increase gradually. Mine get a tablespoon a day in the evening.

Also, what about Fresh Factors and Longivity from Springtime Natural Supplements. Check out their web site.

Good luck with Treasure, I always enjoy reading about her and seeing her pretty face in photos.

Does she LOOK thin, or do you think some of the loss is muscle mass (which can be normal as they age)?

I would feed her more of what she normally eats. That way you don't risk an upset due to excess fat etc.

I would also do the dental if she needs one.

Scritchies to beautiful girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am sorry to hear she has lost so much weight. When my old girl started losing weight, I started giving her 1/2 of a bottle of Ensure each night. She loved it! It really helped her to gain some. I also give them chicken and cottage cheese in their supper bowls. Good Luck!

Ace has lost a little too, in her case it's been loss of muscle as she's aged.

I'd just give her more of her kibble-no risk of upsetting her system, and you also won't be creating a picky dog by using add-ins. I'd give hard-boiled eggs as treats away from meal times as long as her system is okay with them.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I wonder if, in conjunction with other suggestions, it would help to add a probiotic. I give Rickie Fortiflora, which claims to help with nutrient absorption. In his case it was just because of his age, not to resolve a particular problem, and I figured it couldn't hurt. You may already be doing something like this if she's going on antibiotics.

The same thing happened with Arrow a few weeks back, his blood work was good with the exception of his liver which is now back to normal. He was feeling good and eating great so I just added more kibble to his meals and gave him an extra treat here and there and he has gained all the weight he had lost back.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks, all. She looks good to me, but I see her every day. My sister, who hadn't seen her for a year, noticed that she looked thin at Christmas. I will up her food then.

Thanks again.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Robin, rather than judging her weight by her ribs--which can look better or worse, depending on which way she's lying, whether she's inhaling or ex-haling, or (I swear) whether she's sucking it in to get an extra treat--try to keep an eye on her hipbones, which will be nicely visible when you walk her. I don't mind seeing hipbones on my two, I just don't want jutting pointy mountain peaks, especially on my old man.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I hope the extra food does the trick. :beatheart Treasure. :beatheart

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm in agreement with Batmom--more of the same if she'll eat it. Glad that's what you're going to try. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)