Spent New Years Day At The E-Vet! Update #115 :(

It's Cody's turn to be sick... Over the past week or so he's been showing some signs of arthritis with a slowness to stand and reluctance to jump on my bed, but once he is up he walks around ok, so I made an appt to see our vet this Thursday. When I came home from work Monday I noticed what looks to be his lymph nodes swollen on his neck, called the vet to see if she could see him sooner and couldn't (was headed into emerg surgery and are closed NYD and today). She didn't seem all that concerned as he was still eating and in generally good spirits.

Well yesterday morning things were going ok until he decided to throw up around 10am. Lots of water and maybe a handfull of kibble from breakfast. Ok, not waiting until Thurs so off to the e-vet we go.

They ran blood work and everything showed normal and no sign of any TBDs either. They discovered one tooth that is questionable and might account for his swollen glands and are thinking the hind end weakness isn't related. The doc didn't want to go crazy with tests & x-rays just yet until we follow up with our regular vet on Thursday. So we were sent home with some rimadyl for his pain and clindamycin for infection.

He's resting comfortably and doesn't seem to be in any distress. We did have a little vomit at 4:30am, a little water and one piece of kibble and he really didn't want to eat much of his breakfast. I suspect it's the rimadyl upsetting his stomach and called the e-vet and they weren't too concerned since he's not constantly vomiting and is resting ok. He's been on it several times before but don't remember if it caused him a slight upset back then.

So anyway it hasn't been a fun start to the new year - just want my Cody to be better so any good thoughts for him you could spare.

Edited by snowjay

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the dog has an upset stomach anyway then couldn't you ask the vet to prescribe some Sucralfate to help keep it from being further irritated by the Rimadyl.?

With TBDs ruled out you can ask your regular vet to run some 'standard' tests to make sure Cody's systems are all working OK.

Hope Cody is a lot better soon.

Aw, sorry you guys had to go to the e-vet :( :( :( .

FWIW, what we do for most drugs is:

1. Give pepcid (10mg famotidine is the generic, usually called "acid controller" or some such).

2. Wait 30-40 minutes.

3. Offer meal or substantial snack (nice if they eat something but not required).

4. Give other meds such as antibiotics, Rimadyl, prednisone.

Hope your boy is back to himself soonest!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug

Do you have to use rimadyl? Maybe your reg vet can give tramadol instead. Not a fan of rimadyl after Lucky's liver get messed up on it.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Many well wishes for Cody.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Aw, sorry you guys had to go to the e-vet :( :( :( .

FWIW, what we do for most drugs is:

1. Give pepcid (10mg famotidine is the generic, usually called "acid controller" or some such).

2. Wait 30-40 minutes.

3. Offer meal or substantial snack (nice if they eat something but not required).

4. Give other meds such as antibiotics, Rimadyl, prednisone.

Hope your boy is back to himself soonest!

I asked the nurse today if I should give him some pepcid and she said to hold off on that for now. :dunno

:grouphug

Do you have to use rimadyl? Maybe your reg vet can give tramadol instead. Not a fan of rimadyl after Lucky's liver get messed up on it.

This isn't long term, just 3-4 days. AFAIK, tramadol would just mask pain but not reduce any inflammation since it's an opioid not an NSAID.

I'm going to see how he feels and eats tonight before I give him another dose. We see our regular vet tomorrow morning.

Aw, good wishes for sweet Cody. Hope he's back to 100% very soon!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I got him to eat dinner tonight. I don't think he liked the venison canned food this morning, because he turned his nose up at it again tonight. But he did eat a little kibble and a half can of some chicken w/ veggies food, plus some cheese and white bread I gave him in the middle of the afternoon.

Still not his usual appetite though.

Sending healing energy for Cody.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Get well soon, Cody.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown