Pugsley Has Bruising/blood Pooling On Her Abdomen - What Is This?

BooMooandDoo and TINMANPDX, thank you both for your generous offers - you're making me cry all over again, but in a good way!

I took Sheldon in to have him screened and there was good news and bad. He has a small heart murmur (which I understand is common in grey's as they have an "athlete's" heart and it sounds different) but he is a match for Pugsley! So, they were able to take a pint from him on this emergent basis but he is not able to be a donor for the future unless he is cleared by a cardiologist first. With the tremendous outlay for our Pugsley, another $400+ to have Sheldon checked out by a cardiologist so that he can be a blood donor in the future isn't in the cards at the moment. I am frustrated that we can't enroll him in the program, but right now my focus is on Pugsley.

Pugsley is receiving Sheldon's blood as we speak and we're going in again to see her this evening. I am hoping she will rally!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytexplorer

Blessings to you, Pugsley and Sheldon.....

My Ester had thrombocytopenia last year. She was put on prednisone for a long time. She lost a lot of weight, but, she (and I ) survived.

She is pictured on the left side of my avatar.

It was a very scary time. I empathize with you, and hope that P will be back to her usual happy silly self very soon.

Best,

PatDownSouth

Pugsley is stable right now. Her RBC was at 29% after the transfusion last night and it was still holding at 29% when they checked it this morning (Yay, Sheldon!).

Her appetite is still shaky but that's to be expected. She has more platelets this morning (he didn’t have a count but there were more than there have been previously) and her stool is much less red, mostly brown at this point, which says the intestinal bleeding might be on its way to resolving. We're going to head in for a visit later this afternoon.

I am SO hoping she can beat this thing!!!

So scary! Come on, Pugsley! We're all rooting for you! :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Great news, Pugsley is well enough to come home!

We just picked her up from ACCES and she has a follow-up appt. on Tuesday. She’ll be on cyclosporine, prednisone and Pepcid (while she’s on prednisone) and cerenia as needed for nausea. They anticipate that she’ll be on meds for at least 4 – 6 months and possibly for life.

We’re going to keep a close eye on her and make sure that she’s calm (no playing), eating and there’s no blood coming from anywhere.

She’s a skinny girl right now but we should be able to get her back up to normal soon. I am just so happy that she's rallied so far and I hope she continues to heal now that she's at home!

I'm so pleased you're getting to bring your girl home. I've been watching this thread and holding my breath. I lost my Jacey to immune-mediated thrombocytopenia last year.

It's nice to see a dog beating this thing...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That *is* great news! Hope it's all good from here on out!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending prayers! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Great news that she's coming home!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest OurLacyandJax

Hooray!!! Well done Pugsley, and the vets! Let's get to eat some good food now..Continue the recovery!

Also - if it was not said anywhere earlier - please give the Pepcid about 30min-1hour before her other meals/Prednisone. The dosage I went with my girl of about 60Lbs was 20mg every 12 hours, and that helped her solidly!