Pugsley Has Bruising/blood Pooling On Her Abdomen - What Is This?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will echo the suggestion for starting doxy now rather than waiting. If they are checking for TBDs then they may already have her on it. Depends on the vets though. Best to bring the subject of ASAP if you haven't already.

Good thoughts going out to Pugsley. Who could not love a sweet, girly Grey with such a cute name!

Any update on Pugsley this morning?

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pugsley is stable this morning, doing pretty well and hanging in there.

She is on steroids & antibiotics, and also an antacid to keep her tummy settled from the steroids. Her chest x-rays look fine; there is possible lymph node enlargement but they are not worried about it right now. No cancer was found on the ultrasound. Her bladder & spleen are enlarged and show signs of internal bleeding.

Her red blood cell count has gone from 56% when they first drew blood to 39% yesterday afternoon, but they gave her a whole blood transfusion last night. They are a little worried because they are seeing bleeding in so many places, but the vet is hoping that the fresh platelets will help. This morning she started regurgitating a bloody liquid and there is still some active bleeding. According to the vet the regurgitation is to be expected since it can take the meds several days to really begin showing results. We should be able to go see her this afternoon.

Since the first photos in this post were of the not-so-great side of Pugsley and the signs of thrombocypenia, here's one of my favorites of her which truly captures her sweet nature:

07-07-10PugsleywPoseys6.jpg

Thanks for the update. Hang in there and we'll all keep sending good thoughts for Pugsley.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Sending lots of warm healing thoughts for Pugley

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I've been following along hoping for good updates. Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but I would strongly recommend a consult with OSU, and specifically discussing whether Amicar is appropriate here. Hope things continue to move positively!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest OurLacyandJax

Sending good thoughts to Pugsley!

Please try and give the antacid (pepcid?) about an hour before food and pred/antibiotics. That should help a lot more.

I've been following along hoping for good updates. Not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but I would strongly recommend a consult with OSU, and specifically discussing whether Amicar is appropriate here. Hope things continue to move positively!

I agree - has anyone consulted with OSU in this matter?

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

How would I consult with OSU?

I agree - has anyone consulted with OSU in this matter?

I went to see Pugsley to bring her favorite stuffed giraffe and visit with her for a while this afternoon, Here's the update from the vet:

Transfusion of whole blood last night bumped Pugsley up to 43% RBC, but unfortunately she's now back down in the mid-30s.

Her appetite seems to have diminished significantly. She ate a little bit of food but not much today. According to the vet, this is to be expected as the problem is still in her system, and the meds have not had chance to work yet. She is still having explosive bloody liquid instead of diarrhea. She is also pretty thirsty, this is normal for her, and also it could be a result of the meds she is on. I also gave the vet the OSU consult link and she is going to check it out.

Right now, it is largely a waiting game.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Yes, please, please provide her with fresh water all the time. It is the Prednisone. And she will go a lot because of the over stimulation of her kidneys.

Praying for your sweetheart. Hope Pugsley comes out of this!

Someone already mentioned Amicar (a trade name for Aminocaproic Acid) but I didn't see it on your list of medications. Please share this information with your vet. Aminocaproic Acid dosage is noted under section titled "Treatment and Prognosis": https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/bonecancer/index.cfm

Here is Greyhound Health and Wellness Program's link about Greyhound bleeders too: https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/greyhoundbleeders/index.cfm

Edited by 3greytjoys