Which Is Better -- Male Or Female?

Intact dogs have a tendency to mark more... so I'm not certain whether or not your neighbor's dogs are neutered. Marking is something dogs do to leave their scent, usually due to territory or dominance. My foster marked when we first got him, but he had not been neutered yet. After the neuter surgery, and when his hormone levels evened out, he stopped altogether. Don't get me wrong, certained neutered dogs mark too... but I've otherwise never had a problem. And I have three boys! I actually prefer boys because (as a whole) I think they're a little bit less high-strung, more affectionate, more silly. I agree with everyone else's advice though- don't let things like size, color, or gender be a huge factor in your decision. FInd the one you fall in love with, and go with it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful and candid. I am so glad I asked; not only have my eyes been opened, but my mind has, too. I really like the sound of "letting a hound pick us". In my heart of hearts, a velcro dog is at the top of my wish list for desirable traits. Fostering sounds like a great way to find our forever companion. We have a 20 year old cat, and since she had to put up with a bullying brother most of her life, she deserves some peace and quiet during her final years. Until she crosses the bridge, we'll just have to wait for our racer.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest FreeholdHound

My big boy Harry ( 89 lbs ) had a few accidents the 1st 2wks we had him but nothing I would define as marking. He was only off the track a little less than 2 months and had never been in a house before. I took a week off of work and he was easily trained to go outside. The accidents he had were due to human stupidity. We let him out of his gated "safe room" too soon. He is a giant love sponge who can not get enough ear scratches & belly rubs. I've had several family dogs and never imagines a dog could be so well behaved and lovable.

I have 5 males and 3 females. Three of my males are neutered and two are intact. I do not have marking issues in my home. When they first come in they try but I get them to knock it off super fast and they learn not to do it inside. They do mark outside but that's ok.

Guest team_tonio

I also knew a grey was the right fit for me - for years i wanted to adopt one but like you I also had a senior citizen kitty who deserved to live as worryfree as possible in her final years. About 2-3 months after letting her go I filled out the adoption form for a greyhound. I had a real honest conversation with the group about how our dog would fit into our family and what we were looking for... with none of the requirements having to do with color, size or sex. We fell in love when we met our boy... I definitely suggest visiting some houndies - you'll know when it's right. Best of luck!

And for the record he has never gone in the house! Our first few visits to PetSmart ... wellllll that's another story. :blush

The only incorrigible marker I've had was a little female. My boys have been clean as whistles. The worst I've had is a couple of accidents right when they first got home and didn't yet know the rules.

I have found boys to be big love sponges and girls to be a little more aloof. Both are great. It comes down to personal preference and the individual hound.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Thank you to the OP for asking this question! It's one I've had but I've never heard a lot of complaining on this forum about males marking in the house. When I adopted Olivia my husband's requirement for a girl was due to a worry about the males marking, partially in response to his male cat who had a tendency to mark and a neighbor's male cat who regularly marks our front door (arrgh!).

This is good info to know because someday I hope to get a sibling for my girl!

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

my female has marked inside the house . shes a huge marker overall and i realized when i gave the cats a treat she was marking in that specific spot. so now i give the cats treats in their bowls and shes been good.

Guest PiagetsMom

I was always afraid of the male marking issues, too, but I've never had a problem with my male, Mirage. My bridge girl, Piaget, was my marker. I'd say, don't let that be the determining factor in your choice between male or female - obviously that's not always true. Actually, I'd advise you to have an open mind when you visit pups and not necessarily be looking for a boy or girl - you might be surprised who you bring home! :)

Edited by PiagetsMom

My boys have always been great. I took Rocky everywhere, hotels, friend's houses, etc. and he never peed inside anywhere. Wingnut has been here since Jan. and has never marked or peed in the house. Jeramie marked twice the first 2 days, but since he was neutered he's been mark free.

We dog sit and foster and I'll tell you we've had WAY more girls come into the house and mark than boys. And they always march right over and pee on a dog bed (or two).

I never had male dogs growing up because my mom always thought boys peed in the house. After I got Rocky, my mom ended up with 2 boys as her next two dogs :)

And, if they do want to mark it's much easier to slap a bellyband on a boy for a day or two than it is to put pants on a girl.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Incidentally, I have only ever had 1 dog mark in a hotel room and it was one of my girls. I am on the road with altered and intact show/performance hounds a decent bit and the boys have never marked a hotel room. It really depends on the dogs and how well you enforce the rules. Yes, intact males tend to mark more but I know plenty of intact and neutered boys (mine and many others we have stayed with/shared hotels, etc. with) that do not mark inside. :)

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Only marking dog I ever had was a crazy greyhound female named Loca.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Two big boy Greys have lived here for three and four years... Never even one mess.

Side note: Before we adopted our first Greyhound, someone recommended I read the Cynthia Brannigan book, "Adopting a Retired Racing Greyhound." I read it cover-to-cover, and learned so much about them. I think it made us both better Greyhound parents, too. I recommend it for everyone who is contemplating adopting a Greyhound. (GreyTalk is invaluable, too! Glad you are here!)

Best wishes with your future adoption(s). Be prepared to fall head-over-heels in love!!!

:gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

My big boy is an enthusiastic marker on walks, but was also very quick and even eager to pick up on housetraining and indeed all house rules. I remember when I commented on this to the manager of the greyhound rescue she said something along the lines of "ah, the boys - the boys just want to please - it's the girls who are more likely to wonder 'what's in it for me?'!" They are all individual characters of course though so just go into the adoption process with an open mind, and the right dog will surely pick you!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

We have had dogs my entire 51 years, and of all of them, only two were female. Our males NEVER marked (and they were NOT neutered).

If you get a male greyhound, it will be neutered, and with only one dog, the inclination to mark is greatly reduced. You TRAIN a dog not to mark in the house by stopping him before he does it. Once it becomes a habit like your neighbor's dogs, it is rather hard to stop. But she's wrong--it is NOT the norm.

And female animals of most species also mark--they just do it in a different position!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I prefer girls over boys but it has nothing to do with marking, but rather that I prefer the more "laid back" (some call it stand-offish) attitude the girls seem to have. Any dog can be a marker but my experience is greys really want to please so if you take the time to work with the dog right from the first you will have a well behaved dog. I second what everyone else has said; let the dog pick you. They are never wrong!

Congratulations and welcome!

june

I have 5 males and 3 females. Three of my males are neutered and two are intact. I do not have marking issues in my home. When they first come in they try but I get them to knock it off super fast and they learn not to do it inside. They do mark outside but that's ok.

My two boys are also intact. Never a mistake in the house by either.

I have a male and a female - our boy has never had an accident or marked in the house. He also almost always eliminates in the same corner of the back yard. He does; however, like to mark trees and bushes while we are on walks. Until recently, it never occurred to me to train him not to do that, but someone from our adoption group told me you can.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest TBSFlame

I have/had/fostered/babysat male greys and have never had a problem with marking. I do have to really watch one of my female greys when I take her somewhere. I would never have a boy dog because I thought it might mark but after having male greys I find that is just not true.

Summit would rather have his bladder explode than pee in the house. On walks he is the BIGGEST marker. But he'll hold it in the house for 12 hours (found this out one day when we had a torrential downpour and he wouldn't go out in the rain... he chose to hold it until the next morning).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest GalgoMom

I went into the rescue *convinced* I wanted a female - preferably fawn. I came home with a brindle and white boy - and he is THE BEST :beatheart

I think the best advice I could give is to tell the adoption coordinator what type of dog you are looking for personality-wise, and let them suggest who might fit best in your family, regardless of Gender, Age, Color or Size.

You might be surprised!

From now on, any time I need the low down on anything greyhound, I will come here, FIRST.

So far, it sounds like the recipe for the perfect hound is a spoonful of knowledge, a sprinkling of fate and a big cuppa magic.

Thanks a whole bunch, everybody!

:beatheart :beatheart :beatheart:gh_bow:beatheart :beatheart :beatheart

Edited by deboosh

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

I went into the rescue *convinced* I wanted a female - preferably fawn. I came home with a brindle and white boy - and he is THE BEST :beatheart

I think the best advice I could give is to tell the adoption coordinator what type of dog you are looking for personality-wise, and let them suggest who might fit best in your family, regardless of Gender, Age, Color or Size.

You might be surprised!

I went to the adoption kennel and told the director I was looking for a petite, young female. I ended up with two 90ish pound 5 yr old boys, and couldn't be happier!

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)