Which Is Better -- Male Or Female?

Guest Angelique

I'm with everyone on this topic, male dogs do not usually mark indoors, unless provoked. I have fostered many males, in a "female" dominated household and only had a few exceptions to the rule. Don't disregard a grey on gender. I love the boys :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fluteplayer67

We have had our male grey a few months now and he has never marked inside. We have new carpet so we read through all the greys up for adoption and really tried to find one that had no issues beforehand with marking. I don't have experience with female greys but our Jett is just 2 years old and has the sweetest laid back temperament. He is a cuddle bug too. I think just going in open minded is the best thing.

We've fostered many dogs and the only time one marked was after a small spat between him and our boy. It was obviously a response to the fight and never happened again.

I have 2 boys. When I went to pick my second, Sailor, up from the farm he was marking everything. We stopped briefly at a kennel and he marked everything there as well. I was worried about bringing him home. The first 2 days he marked twice. He realized very quickly that it made mom unhappy and he hasn't marked inside since. He has had accidents, but they weren't marking accidents. (He has since marked in 1 other house, but the resident dogs also mark/pee in the house, so I don't really blame him.)

You've already received lots of advice on marking. Regarding gender, I have the most fabulous monster boy. He is a star among dogs and even among Greyhounds. But the single most fabulous personality I have ever encountered in an animal is his playmate, a sweet, cuddly, happy, joyful, payful, goofy female brindle. Her wonderful owners are blessed by her presence. Forget about gender and look for personality.

Here they are together: he is 90 lbs and she is 64 lbs

005zuo.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

You've already received lots of advice on marking. Regarding gender, I have the most fabulous monster boy. He is a star among dogs and even among Greyhounds. But the single most fabulous personality I have ever encountered in an animal is his playmate, a sweet, cuddly, happy, joyful, payful, goofy female brindle. Her wonderful owners are blessed by her presence. Forget about gender and look for personality.

Here they are together: he is 90 lbs and she is 64 lbs

005zuo.jpg

We will definitely have our grey choose us, rather than the other way around. What a beautiful pair you have! I would be a very proud mom, too.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Sorry if I wasn't clear but the female belongs to a freind of mine. I adore her but the best I get is a sleepover now and then. Today I met her for a walk and she tried to jump into my arms when she saw me. :colgate

In the middle of a walk I have seen her throw herself at the feet of a stranger in the roach position to get a tummy rub. She is one of a kind.

Here she is again looking pretty:

sgirlfriend.jpg

And trying to share a bed with my boy - getting a close as she dares. She loves him deeply but I can't tell if my boy even notices:

003tbq.jpg

Edited by KickReturn

Ahh, men. Your boy is probably just playing hard to get with her, but I think your friends had better watch out that you don't dognap their little girl, lol! (Now, I'm kidding when I say that, so please don't anyone take it seriously).

She sounds like the bar can't be raised any higher for want of a social butterfly like her. Lucky you, to have this little girlie in your life ~~ truly, she's as cute as a bug in a rug. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

:cheers

P.S. Just curious, what are their names?

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds to me like your neighbor is the problem - not the dogs.

:nod

We've had our baby Nero for about a year and half and the only time he's ever had a problem (more or less an accident) is when we moved into our first house and didn't have a doggy door (stupid of us to lack behind on getting one) but after that, he's been fantastic about going outside. I'm sure if you just train them they'll actually prefer peeing outside anyways.

Hope this helps and good luck~ :goodluck

my grey only peed in the house once and that was my fault, he tried to go outside and pushed him back in as I wanted to move the car so it wasn't really his fault. If he needs to go during the night when I am asleep he walks back and forth till I hear him and let him out.

I don't know about greys but I have found when I have had male and female combo with dogs the female always has to be the boss.

Any dog who is not housetrained will pee in the house...my guess is your neighbour's dogs just haven't been properly trained. My female dogs have all marked MORE than my male greyhound on walks, none have gone in the house. Some people will have different experiences, but I have found from all the animals I have owned (cats, rabbits, dogs, rodents, etc.) the males have always been a little more laid back and "go with the flow" type of characters. So...on the whole I prefer males, but that doesn't mean I would necessarily get a male. I think it is a matter of picking out an individual dog (boy or girl) who you bond with, sometimes that is not always who or what you expect!

Guest lanielovesgreys

I didn't love when my boys would accidentally pee on the backs of their front paws. But Vivie will pee and get her back feet sometimes. I think what you're looking for is a hound with good aim.

I have had a female and two males in the past few years. I don't think it matters who will mark or not in the house, if they understand the rules. My female peed the first day she came home, in the house, and as soon as she learned that outside was the place, she never had an accident inside again - only once. My next boy, same thing, once in the house, corrected him and showed him 'outside' and he never had an accident inside again.

Both of those precious babies are now at the bridge and our newest guy had the same learning curve. He came in the house, peed on a dresser, was told 'no-no', showed the outside and he never had another 'accident' in the house.

I don't think it matters whether male or female. Once they understand house rules, they are more than happy to follow them, I think.

As to marking - my guy does 'mark' when we go on walks. He reads all the 'p-mail' left by other dogs and leaves his own messages. I don't stop him, if I am not in a hurry. It is one of the highlights of his day! He also hits his front paws at times, but, it doesn't bother me. He is ok, I am ok with it :-) .

Edited by greyhoundlady

Guest HoundWorks

I have a boy and a girl and I agree one isn't better than the other. I've heard people say that boys are more affectionate and like to cuddle more than girls, but both our hounds love to cuddle right up next to us. I do agree with an earlier post that the only annoying thing about our boy is that he tends to pee on this front feet... he apparently isn't very coordinated nor does he care to move his foot out of the way once he starts going. But we just laugh at this now and have a system for cleaning him up.