Rogan Having His Toe Amputated Tomorrow - Update Post 24 :-(

Guest LindsaySF

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seeing the most recent pics now. I swear I read a question somewhere (Facebook three-toed group? Otherwise it would be here) about an adjoining toe flattening after an amp, though as I recall no one had any answers. (If you could track down that poster, s/he might be useful to consult with.) I'd see what the vet says. Sure understand why you feel worried. Beth's remaining large toe definitely changed after her amp -- the knuckle got a lot larger.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Those purple Paws rubber booties will hold moisture in. I don't think they'd be good for all-day wear.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Lady_Catherine

Poor Rogan! I've been watching this story unfold, and I am hoping that it all resolves ASAP with everyone happy and healthy!

Those purple Paws rubber booties will hold moisture in. I don't think they'd be good for all-day wear.

The idea was only ever for going outside, for which they work fabulously to cover injuries. (But Lindsay, your description completely makes sense about why they wouldn't work given where Rogan's surgical site is.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Rogan's feet will significantly change shape in the coming months. I don't think you can adequately evaluate the position of that toe at least until the wound site is healed and he's walking more correctly. Dude's toe amp was one of the inside ones, and I found I had to keep the nails on that foot shorter because of how the shape changed.

The seizure activity could be from just about anything at this point. He's suffered so much physical trauma, plus picking up on your stress, pain meds, even antibiotics could bring one on. Hopefully this was a one-off and he'll never have another one. Have you backed off his pain meds at all? Tramadol *can* have a weird effect on some hounds.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wow, I am just reading all of this now. I am so sorry this happened to you and glad that you are investigating your options. As others have said, it would have been one thing if they had immediately admitted their mistake and asked what you wanted to do about the bad toe, apologized, offered compensation. To lie, then never contact you again is appalling. Disgusting. Sickening. Lots of nastier words I can't type. :angry: To be quite honest, I hope in addition to reporting htem, you sue the pants off of them. Hopefully you've documented everything (including taking photos and video of him struggling during his recovery :() - that sort of thing can be quite convincing.

Mostly I hope Rogan is finally healing up well and feeling better.

Oh, re: seizures, when I was researching osteo stuff for Neyla, I did read that both Tramadol and Gabapentin can lower seizure threshold, but tons of people use them together all of the time (and at higher dosages for cases like osteo) and I've never heard of it happening. Still, it's worth considering if he has another one.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan is doing okay. He joined in a group roo today, for the first time since his surgery. :)

We've backed off the Tramadol from 3 times a day to 2 times a day. He didn't have any more seizure activity besides that one short focal seizure. Hopefully it was just a one off and won't happen again.

His check-up on Friday went well. The vet said the incisions look good, but they need more healing. The sutures are dissolvable, so we'll just keep an eye on things. I am to email him photos this week so he can decide if we need to go in again in-person or not. The incisions were bleeding a little on the way home, but not since. Once they scab better I am to use a warm water bath to clean the feet up, but it's too soon for that now. He also looked at the more splayed toes and said he's not worried because he doesn't feel any laxity when he moves them around, but we'll keep an eye on things. I am more worried for Rogan in particular because he loves to run in the yard daily, and I'd like him to be able to continue with LGRA at some point. :(

No word from my former vet, and Rogan's old x-rays have yet to arrive at the new vet. I'm getting really pissed off, and one step away from marching my ass down there and making a huge scene until I have those x-rays in my damn hands. I also ordered more heartworm meds online last week and my old vet has yet to authorize the friggin prescription. They need to get their heads out of their asses and wake the hell up. :angryfire

~Lindsay~

I'm happy to hear he's feeling well enough to roo. :) and I say march on down there and give them h e double hockey pucks, the dirty rat bas*****. You might even feel a tiny bit better afterwards.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I'm happy to hear he's feeling well enough to roo. :) and I say march on down there and give them h e double hockey pucks, the dirty rat bas*****. You might even feel a tiny bit better afterwards.

:nod

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oooh yeah! And throw in copies of ALL your dogs records.

OR you could have your attorney send them a nicely worded legal letter requesting copies of every single record they have on file for your account. THAT will probably get their attention faster.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest MnMDogs

Oooh yeah! And throw in copies of ALL your dogs records.

OR you could have your attorney send them a nicely worded legal letter requesting copies of every single record they have on file for your account. THAT will probably get their attention faster.

I'm on board with this suggestion...

Guest patterpaws

I'm livid reading about what your previous did to Rogan, how they didn't even bother to follow up, and NOW they are not cooperating with the xrays and authorizing prescriptions??!? I agree with the above comment. :devil:bugeye:angryfire

I am STUNNED that you never heard from your old vet. How is Rogan doing?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest LindsaySF

Old vet finally authorized the online heartworm meds. Only took 2 separate faxes and a week.... :rolleyes: Still waiting on the shipment. When I spoke to the new vet last week he still hadn't gotten Rogan's old x-rays in the mail. He was going to call and ask for them again. If they haven't arrived when I speak to him today or tomorrow, I'll be marching down to my old vet to get them myself. It won't be pretty.

Rogan is doing okay. I emailed pics of his feet to the new vet last week, we chatted on the phone instead of doing an exam. Rogan's feet had scabbed up, but the scabs were large and had hair and other stuff on them. His advice was to soak Rogan's feet in epsom salts once a day for 3-5 minutes, to try to clean it all up, but before I could even do that one of them started bleeding again. :( It has scabbed up since, but we're taking it easy to make sure that scab stays on good.

The down side of keeping him low-key (aka crated a lot) is he's lost a lot of muscle mass in his thighs. The right thigh was already significantly smaller due to him favoring the bad toe, but now the left is shrinking too. Once his stupid incisions heal up for good I'll have to work on increasing his mobility and building that muscle mass back up with some walks. I've started leaving him out of the crate during the day so he can walk around more. He really only goes from one bed to the next, but he's a little more mobile. He also trembles if he stands too long, and he has some trigger points in his thigh muscles, so I've been in contact with Andy's physical therapist for advice. He still pants when he walks around, that must be pain. :(

He's gotten a little more lively since we scaled back the pain meds. I was worried that he was too sedated and weak, I wanted him more mobile. The one downside to that is he keeps bumping his 'stubs' into things when he gets excited, like chairs, and the wall when coming down the stairs. Then he holds the foot up and cries. Maybe it will take a while for him to remember where his feet are, and that they are still sensitive to touch?

I do smile when I watch him walk around the yard though. He still has to wear the Medi-Paws to keep the incisions clean, and he prances like a horse because he hates the booties. It's ridiculous. :)

~Lindsay~

sending more hugs to your sweet boy!!! :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Ugh, it must be torture for you to watch him go through this. :( Glad that he's making progress though, slow and steady wins the race!

Any progress on what your legal options are? I really want to see your old vet to take it up the oops, not PC for GT. :ph34r

You are far more patient than I would have been with your ex-vet. Those xrays would have been overnighted. ;)

I'm sorry to hear he's still so sore, but I guess it's not surprising. I just wanna give the sweet guy a big smooch on the schnozz. He'll be back in shape soon - I know it.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I've been waiting for an update. Hopefully he'll be much better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee