Rogan Having His Toe Amputated Tomorrow - Update Post 24 :-(

Guest LindsaySF

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lindsay, I'm so sorry this happened to Rogan. I don't know what I would expect my vet to do if this happened to my dog, but it better be something significant. You know they wouldn't do this on purpose, but OMG doesn't even beging to cover it. Please give him a hug and an ear scritch from me. I hope his healing time is short.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

OMG poor boy & poor you. I have no advice or words of wisdom but sending prayers for a quick recovery

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Lindsay I'm so sorry. :-( I hope you both were able to get a little rest sometime during the night. Other than that, I don't know what to say. Gentle hugs for both of you....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

What a nightmare for both of you! I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good lord. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest gfcolvin

Wow. I am speechless! My heart goes out to you and Rogan. Hopefully, your beautiful boy will do well with recovery, despite this terrible mistake. Keeping you in thoughts/prayers.

omg...I'm so sorry you are both going through this...no words, I'm speechless and saddened for you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LindsaySF

I just don't even know what to think. It's like this is a nightmare but I can't wake up. I can't believe this even happened.

I have a call in to a different vet that I know, wanting some advice. I'm afraid that the actual amputations might have been done wrong too, so I want someone else to look at Rogan. Maybe some x-rays too. :(

OMG, that is the most awful malpractice I've ever heard of!!! And they have been treating that toe for ages already. 20 years or not I'd sue their asses off. And of course NO charge whatsoever for the surgery and all follow-up treatment. Poor, poor Rogan -- that is going to be so much harder healing. Fortunately they're not weight-bearing toes at least, so hopefully he'll come around fast.

:bighug

I will say that when Beth had her toe amp my vet said it was a very straightforward surgery, so I doubt it was done wrong.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

This is horrible ... I'm so sorry. You may want to call Angel in Boston and get an emergency appointment with one of their orthopedic vets there. Hopefully everything will be OK except the healing will take longer.

If you paid by credit card or check, see if you can stop payment.

Omg, I am sickened and shocked! And all of this when the toe has been a long-standing, ongoing medical issue being treated by them! Please tell me, at a very minimum, that you were not charged for the surgery. That vet better be doing some serious sucking up and explaining as to how such a grievous and careless error could have occurred. Even if they are sucking up, I'm not sure that I wouldn't be contacting the veterinary medical board: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3143&q=388948

~Amanda

Oh no, wrong too????? :-( (((((((Rogan)))))))

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LindsaySF

I spoke with the vet my foster dogs always went to (and I've continued there with Andy and Sophie since adopting them). They are an hour from my house but I don't care. They have been wonderful so far with giving me pain meds and other advice. I stormed out of my vet's office last night once they gave me my dog, so I did not get any aftercare instructions or anything. They are getting all the records from my vet so they can better advise me.

Deirdre, there's no sign that the amputations were done wrong, as far as I can tell. (I haven't taken the wrap off yet). I'm just afraid of that now so I want him examined by another vet at some point.

Rogan refused to eat or drink last night. I syringed him Ensure to keep him hydrated. He ate breakfast this morning though. Yay!

I've heard of stuff like that happening in humans (they gave someone here the wrong kidney last week) but have never known anyone it happened to.

That's exactly what I thought. I've heard of this stuff on the news, they amputate the wrong leg on a human or something, but I've never known anyone it happened to. I still can not believe this happened.

I did not pay when I picked him up. I was so upset I demanded they give me my dog and I stormed out of there. One of the techs came out to give me his meds. I have not heard from anyone at my vet's office since.

Edited by LindsaySF

I'd be banned if I swore as much as I'd like to right now. Insist they pay for everything, if not...hit the media. This can not happen again to anyone. I wish there was something I could do...I'm so sorry, poor Rogan :(

Edit: My Bella was on metacam for a pulled neck muscle, it made her tummy hurt...so she stopped drinking water, I gave her pepcid and she started drinking again.

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

WOW, I've been sitting here with my mouth open. Unbelievable! Poor Rogan and poor you. I'm glad he's feeling better this morning.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

OMG! What a horrible thing to have happen to poor Rogan! You'd think they'd have stopped when they took off the wrong one? So that he'd have at least one hind foot to stand on while the error foot healed? And I can hardly believe that they were telling you everything was going fine! Yikes! And that they haven't been in touch with you since! If I was that vet, I'd have personally been at your house this morning! Gentle hugs to Rogan!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest LindsaySF
Edit: My Bella was on metacam for a pulled neck muscle, it made her tummy hurt...so she stopped drinking water, I gave her pepcid and she started drinking again.

Thanks. I think he was just too doped up from the anesthesia last night, and he was in pain (panting, shaking, crying :(). He didn't have any Rimadyl yesterday, only the Tramadol. I did give him Pepcid before the Ensure. After he ate this morning I gave him Pepcid, then some Rimadyl and his antibiotics.

FWIW Beth was on Deramaxx AND Tramadol (multiple times a day) for several weeks after her toe amp. (And I don't know if it was from the double meds or what, but she was weight-bearing on the foot immediately and never seemed to have major pain after maybe the first night.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest madredhare

OMG! That's horrible. I am so sorry that you and your baby are going through this. As if this nightmare wasn't bad enough, they don't even call to check on him!!!!! That's totally unacceptable. Poor baby. I hope he is doing better now.