Rogan Having His Toe Amputated Tomorrow - Update Post 24 :-(

Guest LindsaySF

Guest bethac

I read this yesterday and was speechless ... I cannot even imagine how horrifying this has been for you and Rogan. Sending gentle hugs to both of you. Hope he continues to get better each day with no complications. :grouphug

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you going to for the recheck? Is it the one who did the wrong amp? Poor Rogan

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest LindsaySF

Yesterday's vet check went okay. The vet took the bandages off, he's worried that Rogan will develop pressure sores and the bandages will delay healing. I'm putting on Medi-Paw booties to go outside, to keep the incisions clean. The vet also said I can clean them with a warm damp cloth, but be careful not to remove the scabs. He said the incisions look good but they need a few more days. We have a recheck appointment on Friday.

Here are his feet. My poor boy. :( I did laugh a little when the vet said he looks like an ostrich now!

0102.jpg

WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW.

Here is the left foot (the accidental amp). It looks pretty good.

0012-1.jpg

Here is the right foot after getting home from the vet yesterday. (This is the foot where the bad toe was removed).

0012.jpg

Here is that same foot a few hours later. It looks like the stitches are popping or something? :( I know he's not licking it because he's muzzled with a stool guard 24/7.

0062.jpg

Here is that same foot today. I've been spraying it with Granulex. It is dry and scabbed, not weeping, but still looks icky to me. Is this normal or should I be concerned? I have a call in to the vet for advice.

0042.jpg

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

Who are you going to for the recheck? Is it the one who did the wrong amp? Poor Rogan

Absolutely not. I brought him to the vet I always brought foster dogs to. They are far from my house, but I know most of the vets there and have a good relationship with them. Sophie still goes there.

OMG I just read all this today, and saw the pictures!!! OMG, I just can't stop gaspin!! -- his poor feetsies!! :(:( Scary for me, as our vet wanted to amputate Opie's toe after some past problems, and then DH stepped on it and broke the nail. I just had a bad feeling, and opted to see if it would heal first - which thankfully it did. Your poor poor Rogan - and poor you. I am so very sorry, and almost speechless at the way the whole thing was handled. And not to tell you right away! Big hugs to both of you, and I will be praying that the feet both heal quickly and completely.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Yikes, that looks pretty raw -- a lot of granulation to go in there, poor guy. Hopefully the Medipaw boot won't hit the site and cause discomfort when he walks. Beth had hers open in the house, wrapped to go out, and then a Pawz bootie over the wrap. I love Pawz because they're completely soft and loose and can't chafe.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If Rogan's tough enough to deal with this, then I can look at the pictures. But it hurts my heart. I also hope the boots are chafing too badly, however briefly. Something soft between them and the foot sounds like a great idea. Love to you both. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I guess it looks to me like it should look if a digit was removed. No smell, right? Since it was the bad toe, I would imagine there'd be some bad tissue in there that will take longer to heal. Shooting the pics over to the vet sounds like a great idea.

But I have to ask, where are the pictures of his beautiful face???????? :digicam:star

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

If the stitches seem to be popping, you might be dealing with an infection. When Ace had that big tumor removed from her thigh, she popped some of her stitches - the area swelled due to infection. Is he on antibiotics? If not I think I'd get him on some cephalexin right away.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest FullMetalFrank

The "bad" toe would cause me some concern, the way it looks. I would send the pics to your good vet; see what they think.

Guest MnMDogs

Definitely send the pics to the vet - When Mork had his amp, his toe was wrapped for 2 weeks with bandage changes every 3 - 5 days or so. I never saw the toe this close to surgery, so I can't tell if that is normal or not based on my experience.

I am still stunned that this all happened, and how it unfolded with your vet lying to you and not following up on your boy.

Guest Gemma

I had Henry look at the pics 'cos of his animal surgery experience. He thinks it is definitely worth sending the pics to the vet to see what s/he thinks. Some degree of granulation is normal and wounds can look nasty so close to surgery. He isn't worried, though.

Hope this helps some!

The "wrong" foot looks really good. The "right" foot looks a little icky, but I would expect it to look worse than the heathy one. Sometimes the stress on the foot from walking will cause the stitches to pop. And he can't ease the stress by tripodding because of his other foot being hurt too. See what the vet says though I would probably just watch it for at least a day or two more. Do make sure the boot isn't rubbing the raw spot any.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest LindsaySF

MP, I am getting legal advice right now.

Anne, I have the purple Pawz here, but his foot is too swollen to get into the opening.

I'm putting some bandaging on the wound and then the MediPaw over it for potty breaks.

Gemma, that Henry isn't worried does make me feel better!

The vet's shift started tonight at 8. I called at 8:30 to see if he was around, and he was dealing with a patient. I told them to have him call me when he's free, anytime tonight. Hopefully I can email him the photos.

The good news: The scabbing continues, I'm happy about that. No smell, no puss, rectal temp normal, so I don't think it's infected, as long as it keeps scabbing and doesn't get worse I guess?

The bad news: Rogan had a minor focal seizure tonight. :( His head was shaking from side to side. I have seen my fair share of seizures, different types, lengths, and severity, dealing with Sophie, so I know what it was. What could cause that? Pain? Too much Tramadol? I got a video which I am trying to upload now. I really can't take much more right now.... :(

~Lindsay~

So sorry about all the problems. No experience to help with, but :bighug

Beth's foot could fit in a purple Pawz boot when fully wrapped in cast padding and Vetwrap, so I can't imagine how Rogan's wouldn't fit. (Could being a boy make his foot that much bigger?) However, I can see how you might not want to it to rub the open wound as you stretch the opening to slide it over the foot -- that wasn't such a concern with the amp in the middle rather than on the side. Don't really know how to describe my technique of stretching the opening while putting it on.

Definitely easy for stitches to come out on feet, as I learned from Beth. So much stress down there and super thin skin, not much to hold them in.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest gfcolvin

Hi LindsaySF,

Been following Rogan's situation closely and thinking good thoughts for you all. I can't imagine, still, trying to deal with all that he and you have been going through...and now a seizure! I am not experienced with those...no advice...just thinking of you. I see your conversation re: Pawz and MediPaws...have dealt with LOTS of swelling and very slow healing for Mandy foot/ex-toe area post-op (now 20 days after)...can you believe it, I'm still using the IV bag bootie over a sock w/vet wrap (over the bandaging that I still put on for outsides) for when she goes out for potty break. I think that is working okay. Just a thought. I also have some disposable little half-footie things from SuperPets but they are kind of annoying and seem uncomfortable where they hit her on the foot with swelling. Sorry for the complications and swelling. I have thought to order Pawz but each time, she continues to have complications with swelling, healing, bleeding, not closing, and have just stuck w/what I have on hand here...bandages + IV bag bootie. Good luck and will keep checking in on Rogan's progress...

Gaye

First, I am SO sorry this happened to you and your boy. And I just sent my vet an email telling her how much I appreciate her and all the staff in her practice.

Hang in there!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

I am just seeing this today. I am so sorry for Rogan to have so much pain. I am glad that you are seeking legal advice. I hope your boy heals well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh geez :( the "right" toe looks so painful!!!! :(

sending sweet, healing hugs to your baby. :grouphug:hope

continuing to send many prayers. :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LindsaySF

Anne, the Pawz bootie opening does stretch, but at this point I don't want to rub against the swelling on the outside of his foot in order to get it on. I also don't like how low the tighter part of the Pawz sits, it's right over the tender area. If the amp was on a middle toe I wouldn't be as worried. The MediPaw is a large boot (a cast cover really) that goes almost to the hock, so it doesn't rub anything. Once he's further along in his healing I might switch to a Pawz.

Rogan is getting around better. He did a little trot after pooping this morning. :) I'm still keeping him crated on lots of pain meds, but he does a little dance when it's time to go outside. He's coming around.

The left foot (oops amp) is healing great. The right foot still looks yucky, but has scabbed over at least and looks better than it did. Here's a photo from last night. There's some fuzz from his bed on the scab that I plan to wipe off with a damp cloth.

0182.jpg

One thing I'm concerned about is the toe next to the amp on the right foot. It's obviously bearing more weight now, and I'm worried about whether it can handle that. The nail on that toe (and on the matching toe on the opposite foot) has always gone off to the side, but now the toe looks splayed and possibly more crooked? :(

0232.jpg

It used to line up with the toe next to it. Is this splaying and flattening normal after a toe amp? On one of our exams (pre-amp surgery) I told the vet I heard clicking when Rogan got up from a bed, and they believed this toe was dislocating at the last joint. He can't handle another bad toe, he's running out of toes! :cry1

~Lindsay~

Guest Gemma

Peyton has messed up toes on his bad leg/foot; one is all scrunched up and the nail goes off to the side like on Rogan. He gets around fine and our vet does not recommend surgery to fix it. The way that foot is shaped, most of his weight is on just three toes but they are doing fine. I'm hopeful Rogan's feet will adjust and you will not have any problems.