Rogan Having His Toe Amputated Tomorrow - Update Post 24 :-(

Guest LindsaySF

You go, Rogan! This will all just be a bad memory soon. Well, more than that for your mother. You just concentrate on feeling better and suck up lots and lots of snuggles with Momma.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Lindsay, my blood pressure went through the ROOF when I saw your post. There is no excuse whatsoever for all of the mistakes that were made here. The xrays weren't labeled?!?!?!? Who the heck took the xrays?? That's what those little R and L plates are for...plus the label on the X-ray should have his name, your name, the date, and what the xray is a picture of.

Your first priority obviously is to get Rogan healed up, but this needs to be reported ASAP. Your poor dog is suffering needlessly and has to be drugged so he'll rest. If they'd done the right toe to begin with, he would have the option of holding up the foot with the amputated toe as it heals. Now he just doesn't have that option and is going to have a harder recovery. I hope that he heals quickly and without incident.

Situations like this are also why I wouldn't consider a multi-vet practice for a very long time. We do go to one now, but one of the very first things I asked was if I'd be able to see the same doctor every time and I was told yes. That way we have a rapport with her, and she knows my family. The times that my pups have had surgery (three of them have had surgeries in the last 12 months), the practice's surgeon has done them. I know him well and have a rapport with him too. He always does a consult with me, and ALWAYS calls me right before he goes into surgery on my pups. At that time he ALWAYS confirms what we're doing and gives me a timeline for the surgery so I know when to expect his call when he's done. The communication that this practice does is nothing short of amazing, which explains why they're the best practice in the area. Anytime the surgeon is working on my dogs, our regular vet knows exactly what is going on, because she wants to know everything that's being done, so she can be aware for when she sees us again (usually surgical follow-ups are done with the surgeon, but our regular vet ways pops in to say hello and have a look for herself).

I'm so very sorry that this happened. Hugs to you and Rogan!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm glad the second vet's evaluation was positive, and Rogan is doing a bit better. I think the Tramadol will help a lot. And again Beth almost never held her amp foot up during the healing process, so it's not like they HAVE to. Just watch out for sores from the bandage, that was our big issue -- the missing toe changes the shape of the foot so the bandage rubs more in certain areas than it would otherwise.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I gasped when I read your post Lindsay. Poor, poor Rogan, what an awful mistake on that vet's part for him to have to suffer for. It makes me sick to think about it. With all you have on your plate this is the last thing you needed.

Prairieprof, I've read that if the toe is not amputated far enough up it can cause trouble for the dog when they walk because the stump hits the ground when they walk and can be quite painful for them. I don't know, but this could be the issue with the amputation.

Looks like I didn't read far enough down before posting. I'm glad that things seem to be looking better for Rogan, but if this is the vet that made this grievous mistake I'd be rather dubious about their assurance that all was well.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest LindsaySF

4My2Greys, I took him to a different vet last night and she said everything looked good. I haven't heard a word from the vet that did this to him.

I asked last night if they had amputated up far enough and she said yes. I was afraid the amputation was done wrong too, but she said it looks normal.

Rogan drank from a water bucket from his bed today, so at least he's drinking some water. I'm still putting some in his food. He has diarrhea so I'm worried he'll get dehydrated. He's being a very picky eater, but he's eating canned food and treats. He didn't limp as badly this morning. He's been asleep all day, which is fine with me.

I do plan to report the vet. Right now I'm exploring my legal options.

{{{{{{{{{{Rogan & Lindsay}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Vers

Just seeing this now, and have no advice. Just want to say I am so, so sorry this happened to your Rogan. Gah, I feel sick about it -- this shouldn't have happened. Wishing with everything I have that he heals up fast and fine, and that you receive significant and appropriate recompense.

Guest LindsaySF

Well some good news. For his most recent pee he insisted on lifting his leg (putting all his weight on his left leg, the oops amp). He held the right leg up the whole time he peed. :thumbs-up Of course once we got inside he was panting and shaking, from pain? :( But yesterday he wasn't able to hold up either leg without almost toppling over, so I guess this is an improvement! He's not limping as much either.

Well some good news. For his most recent pee he insisted on lifting his leg (putting all his weight on his left leg, the oops amp). He held the right leg up the whole time he peed. :thumbs-up Of course once we got inside he was panting and shaking, from pain? :( But yesterday he wasn't able to hold up either leg without almost toppling over, so I guess this is an improvement! He's not limping as much either.

That is good news. What a nightmare though! I hope every day finds Rogan feeling much better.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

continuing to send healing thoughts! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan seems a little better today. His appetite is back, and there was less limping on our potty breaks. He's not lifting his leg to pee, but he's not favoring the right foot like he was either. Each day he is getting better. He still pants and shakes while walking, so I know he's in pain :(, but he's putting more weight on the feet. He had a little pep in his step after he pooped this morning. We have a recheck tomorrow. I hope he heals soon because once he's really feeling better it will be hard to keep him quiet. He's usually my wild man. :)

Good update Lindsay!

You might ask about upping his pain meds, if he tolerates them. He should be feeling better every day now. After about 4 or 5 days, I had a hard time keeping Dude quiet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

sending more healing hugs to you sweet boy -- and to you!!!! :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Just reading this now. Speechless about what happened!! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug to you and Rogan. Hoping he heals quickly.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Adding our best wishes for Rogan.

<<Mistakes happen but how you handle such is how you're judged>> Agreed.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest FullMetalFrank

I hope he's feeling better and that he's a fast healer. As for your vet; normally I'd say go for the bills being paid and an apology; but in this case I think punitive damages are appropriate.

I read this at work on Friday and was sick to my stomach. We are in the same situation that you were in before the surgery. We have been dealing with a toe issue since June 1st. Slick has now been under anesthesia 3 times to close the wound, our next option is amputation. I saw your post and figured I would see how well Rogan did and it would make me feel better if worse came to worse and we had to amputate. I did get some great advice on what to ask the vet but did not ever think that I would need to highlight which toe to amputate. I am so sorry that you and especially Rogan have to indure this. I am very happy that he seems to be improving. :bighug to the both of you.

Everyday-4.jpg