Rogan Having His Toe Amputated Tomorrow - Update Post 24 :-(

Guest LindsaySF

I replied to this already, but have something else to say (what a surprise!). When they discovered their mistake, why didn't they call you, let you know what they did, then schedule the correct surgery after Rogan had healed from the first surgery? Seems to make sense to me.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LindsaySF

Rogan has a low pain tolerance, so I expect this to be hard on him, moreso than some of my other dogs. I carried him down the stairs and into the yard. He was able to stand and poop, walk a few steps, and also able to pee. Poor thing insisted on lifting his leg to pee before he almost fell over. Old habits. :blush

The vet I called this morning said I could give Tramadol every 8 hours instead of every 12, so hopefully that helps. My vet did not prescribe Rimadyl, but thankfully I have some on-hand. I'm doing the Rimadyl twice a day.

I replied to this already, but have something else to say (what a surprise!). When they discovered their mistake, why didn't they call you, let you know what they did, then schedule the correct surgery after Rogan had healed from the first surgery? Seems to make sense to me.

That's the part that bothers me. I called 3 times for updates and was told everything was fine. They surprised me with the news when I picked him up. They didn't even give me the option of deciding how to proceed once they realized their error, they just went ahead and did both feet. I might have agreed to doing both toes since he was under anesthesia anyway, I don't know. He wasn't fully weight-bearing on the injured toe anyway. But I wasn't even given the option.

Lindsay, I have no problem asking this publically.

Who is the vet? I would hate to have ANYONE else dealing with them.

Is there anything I can do for you guys?

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest LindsaySF

Naugatuck Vet Hospital. Until this point we'd been happy there with various dogs and cats since the 90's. I didn't trust some of the younger vets or the visiting vets, but I trusted the 'head' vet, and she's the one that botched the surgery. I just can't believe it.

First, I would definitely report this to your State Veterinary Board. Even if they are a great vet, a mistake of this nature needs to be on record. If they have the temerity to bill you, have your attorney send them a letter explaining why you won't be paying.

Second, take a step back for Rogan's sake. Have the second vet look at the feet to make sure the amps were done properly. But otherwise, once the surgical wounds heal, he should be fine with three toes on his feet. They are remarkably adaptable these dogs. Dude only had three toes on the leg that remained after his osteo amp and he was perfectly fine - even running and playing! The three-legged dog with the three-toed foot!

Your biggest job will be to make sure there are no pressure sores from the bandaging/splinting. Dude's toe amp site was healed in about 8 days, but he had horrible pressure sores (my fault) that required another two months of weekly bandage changes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am just catching up on this :jaw

I understand that anyone can make a mistake, and although it would have been upsetting, If they had contacted you immediately it wouldn't have been as bad. But to tell you three times that everything was fine, and then to hit you with this when you picked him up, just beyond belief.

I am so sorry that what should have been a minor, routine surgery has turned into such a nightmare. I hope things are better from now on and he heals quickly :bighug

I am in shock, Lindsay! I've been following your thread because a toe amp for Bumper has been suggested but I'm just too chicken to go through with it.

I feel horrible for you and horrible for Rogan, even though he will surely be just fine....the immediate trauma would send me fuming. Hopefully the vet has called you by now to apologize, discuss the matter, etc. To earn your trust back and make up for the mistake (not that it can ever be made up), if I were your vet, I'd offer free vet care for Rogan for life. Anyway, I hope he recovers quickly and without incident.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

:yikes how shocking and awful and terrible! I'm so sorry for Rogan and for you.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest LindsaySF

I have not heard a thing from my vet. Rogan has an appointment with another vet tonight at 7 pm. I want him examined to make sure he's okay. That vet office got Rogan's records from my vet.

I'm beyond flabbergasted, and so sorry this has happened to you and your boy. I hope, despite the monstrous error, that he heals well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have not heard a thing from my vet. Rogan has an appointment with another vet tonight at 7 pm. I want him examined to make sure he's okay. That vet office got Rogan's records from my vet.

Dammit Lindsay, if I didnt have an appt I would go with you for the support. No one should ever have to deal with this. Bas-tards.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

After Rogan has been evaluated by the other vet and you've had the opportunity to cool off a little, I would recommend calling the vet and requesting/scheduling a sit-down meeting with them to discuss what happened and how they are going to attempt to make things right (with the knowledge that they negligently removed a healthy, functional bodypart from your dog, and then further complicated the issue by not informing you or speaking with you and making the unilateral decision to then amputate the correct toe--increasing Rogan's pain and complicating his recovery).

Go into this meeting with an idea of what you expect a reasonable response on their part to be--they might just ask you what you want. For starters, you shouldn't pay for his surgery or any part of his aftercare related to this procedure. You might also request a substantial credit for services provided by the clinic if you are willing to give them another chance (and quite honestly, without a credit I don't think I would ever have a reason to return and would tell all of my friends what they did, too). I don't think $1k in credit is too much to ask for at all. If, on the other hand, you have no desire to ever return to them I would ask for a cash settlement to cover his aftercare at another hospital (say, $500). If you can't come to agreeable terms or if they are not taking responsibility I would immediately contact both an attorney and the state vet board (I posted the link in a previous post).

~Amanda

Linsay, just reading this now and am lost for words....I just can't believe it. I'm very sorry for your poor Rogan and you. I truly hope Rogan heals quickly and the amputations were done correctly as that is most important first that he gets back to normal and free of pain. As for your vet, unbelieveable...simply unbelievable.

Good thoughts for Rogan healing quickly.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Just catching up to this. Omg. I too was thinking of the "free care for life" form of apology, but then I realized that I wouldn't trust them enough to use it. I'm so sorry.

Are you totally sure it was your old head vet who did this? Could it have been handed off to someone else, and that's yet another thing they haven't told you? It's just very strange that your long-term vet who'd been treating the toe all along would make that mistake, for one thing, and then not even speak to you about it.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I had the same thought as greyhead. Did she speak to you at all? So much seems fishy here....

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

OMG what a terrible thing to happen!!! sending many prayers for Rogan...poor boy! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest LindsaySF

I appreciate the offer Holly. Next time.

I too was thinking of the "free care for life" form of apology, but then I realized that I wouldn't trust them enough to use it.

Exactly. I can't use a vet I don't trust.

Are you totally sure it was your old head vet who did this? Could it have been handed off to someone else, and that's yet another thing they haven't told you? It's just very strange that your long-term vet who'd been treating the toe all along would make that mistake, for one thing, and then not even speak to you about it.

Someone else mentioned that to me, that maybe a tech or someone made the error, and now they are covering it up. I suppose it's possible. When I picked Rogan up they took me into a room and it was the head vet that was going on and on about the x-rays not being labeled and saying that's why she was confused. If she had just looked at the dog it was obvious which toe was swollen!!

The vet we saw prior to this was a different vet at the same practice. I wasn't really comfortable with her, she didn't see why I wanted the toe amputated and kept talking about pain meds and joint supplements, which is why I confirmed that the head vet would be the one doing the surgery, she seemed more knowledgable. When we went back for a bandage change it was the head vet tech we saw, no vet. I think one of the appointments was with another vet. But regardless whether the head vet had been the one at our prior appointments, the chart notes were clear, I spoke with her several times before the surgery, and the morning of the surgery the head vet tech asked which toe it was before admitting him.

I do think they were swamped yesterday when an emergency came in, but then they should have rescheduled Rogan's surgery. When you rush without thinking clearly or double checking your information, you get a situation like this. My poor mutilated dog. :(

Guest Gemma

Mistakes happen but how you handle such is how you're judged, and this vet has acted appallingly in that regard. You should have been called as soon as they noticed the error OR immediately afterward if they were worried about keeping him under. The fact that it seems like they dodged your calls or just flat out lied until you came in makes them appear unprofessional and shady as hell. I also feel that the head vet should have called you this morning to check in and apologize. I realize everyone harps on about how you shouldn't ever apologize lest you're held legally liable BUT their actions only further dug their grave. Where is the act of good faith on their part? If you do need to get a lawyer involved, they are not helping themselves.

I hope his appointment with the new vet goes well, and that he heals quickly. Poor boy. :(

Lindsay, I'm so sorry you & Rogan are going through this. I've worked at a vet clinic for 15 years, and am ashamed to say I've seen some things that

truly made me shudder. Like the ortho surgeon & his team arguing over which cruciate it is that needs repaired, or medicine labels made by an intern

that are woefully wrong. In my mind, in medicine, be it human or animal, there should be no room for error. This is somebody's life they're dealing

with, and deserves their complete focus.

I send Rogan my best wishes for speedy healing.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I discussed this with the bf over dinner (he's a big greyhound lover...just not a interneter), he says imagine if it were a leg that was incorrectly amputated? Say it was for osteo...and they took the wrong leg...how could the greyhound get better? :( Ugh. This makes me sooo mad. When the stress of everything calms down, please report them...I don't want this happening to anyone else.

Wish there were something I could do.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

OMG, Lindsay, I am horrified for Rogan, and for you!!! This is soo deeply upsetting on many levels. Nothing will reverse their massive mistake for poor Rogan.

Given the circumstances, I probably would have been more upset if they didn't go ahead with amputation of the correct toe during same surgery. It's my understanding that anesthesia builds up in a dog's body over his/her lifetime. Requiring a second fix-it surgery could have been more risky for Rogan.

Like Bumper's dad (?), I've been too scared to schedule our girl's amp. yet. In an attempt to avoid repeating Rogan's horrific nightmare, I think I'll paint our girl's toenail bright pink before her toe amputation. (They already X-rayed the wrong leg/toe.)

I'm glad Rogan is seeing your regular foster hounds' vet tonight. I hope you can get another pain med to add to Tramadol. I hope your poor Rogan heals rapidly. Empathetic hugs to you both.

I am just reading this now. How awful for you and your hound! He is just beautiful....and our sweet babies don't deserve to suffer - especially at the hands of human error....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm sorry. I hope Rogan recovers quickly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I discussed this with the bf over dinner (he's a big greyhound lover...just not a interneter), he says imagine if it were a leg that was incorrectly amputated? Say it was for osteo...and they took the wrong leg...how could the greyhound get better? :( Ugh. This makes me sooo mad. When the stress of everything calms down, please report them...I don't want this happening to anyone else.

Wish there were something I could do.

I have a friend whose Great Dane had the wrong leg amputated for osteo many years ago. Of course, there was nothing more they could do after that :( It still haunts me to this day and was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.

Lindsay, I am SO sorry this happened. The most horrible part to me is that they didn't call you immediately. And I can't believe you haven't heard anything from them since. This vet really needs be reported for malpractice! I really hope Rogan feels better soon. I am sure once he recovers he will be good as new. :grouphug

Guest LindsaySF

Tonight's vet visit went well. She checked him over and changed the wraps. She said the incisions look good and the swelling I pointed out (the leftover joint from the bad toe on the right foot) is normal for a toe amp. There was more weeping on the left foot (the 'accidental' amp) because he's putting more weight on that one, but she said normal for one day post-op. Of course one of the wraps fell off entirely in the car on the way home (was on too loose) so I had to redo it. But it looks ok. We have a recheck appointment on Monday.

Like Bumper's dad (?), I've been too scared to schedule our girl's amp. yet. In an attempt to avoid repeating Rogan's horrific nightmare, I think I'll paint our girl's toenail bright pink before her toe amputation. (They already X-rayed the wrong leg/toe.)

Do it. I wish I had marked Rogan's toe too. I figured the swelling would be obvious enough...

I hope you can get another pain med to add to Tramadol.

She gave the okay to increase the Tramadol to every 6 hours if needed, she wants to knock Rogan out so he rests and stays off his feet. We're adding a small dose of Gabapentin too, since I have some here already (100 mg per day).

Rogan was surprisingly mobile at the vet. I think it was the surge of adrenaline to be going somewhere. He was excited to go for a ride. Now that he's home he's whiny and sad again. Time for his next Tramadol dose anyway.

He still won't drink from the water bowl, but he's eating so I put water in his food.

That's horrible about that Great Dane. :(