Cmon Faster, March 1998—March 13, 2012

celbee

I kept putting this off because I didn’t know what to say. This is the first time we have said good-bye to one of our greyhounds.

Our sweet boy Faster (Cmon Faster) went to the Bridge on March 13, 2012 on a sunny and bright spring day after a long struggle with lumbosacral stenosis and laryngeal paralysis. He turned 14 in March. His dog-mommy and dog-daddy were able to be there with him, as were his pack-mates, Janet and Murray. Several of his very special human friends got to say good-bye to him the weekend before.

Dear Faster,

We miss you, big guy.

You were my couch-snuggler until it got too hard for you to get up on the couch.

At first, I called you my dumb jock boy, because you were so handsome and strong, and I assumed you were probably not too bright. You taught me that there has never been anything dumb about handsome athletes (at least not you!). You may not have done what we requested in the time frame that we requested it—but that was because you had another plan in mind and could not be distracted from it. That focus probably contributed to the length and success of your racing career.

You came to us as a bounce before we really knew what that meant. We just wanted another greyhound to keep Janet company when we were away at work each day and you needed a home. We heard you got into it with a puppy and a cat, but we didn’t have either puppies or cats, so it was all good. You found small creatures way too interesting—so we tried to make sure that you only met them from distances-- like across the street. Your foster family tried to give you a new name, but once you came to us, you really didn’t respond to it. One day, you seemed to respond to part of your racing name, Faster. So that became your name.

One of your foster parents wrote about you: “(Faster) has an active fantasy life in which he himself is the star.” It took us a long time to figure out exactly what that meant, but we have to agree. You did a lot of running in your sleep, even when you couldn’t run anymore. You loved to play with stuffies. And until you got too weak to do this, you would carry them from the living room to the bedroom where you could better keep an eye on them. And every morning, I would count the stuffie haul from the day before and then carry them back to the living room. Mr. Pink Stuffie was with you at the end, just as he came with you when you first came to live with us. Your friends remember you as the one who always came to the door with a stuffie in his mouth. And we remember you rushing to get a stuffie whenever the doorbell rang—actually, any and all significant events required first getting a stuffie.

Your dog-daddy loved to paint portraits of you because you were such a sweet boy and had a very expressive face. When dog-mommy first started making greyhound jackets, you got to be in a lot of the pictures because you were a handsome fawn boy, but also because you would stand still and Janet wouldn’t.

You were our sunshine boy from Florida. You loved to bask in the sun, stretched out, either on the deck on in the cool grass in the yard. We often worried that we should be putting sunblock on you because your belly became so tan each year. You loved vegetables of any sort. We think that your love of veggies came from living and racing in Florida—we called you Veggie Boy.

You were always calm and strong. There wasn’t much that bothered you—noises, thunder, fireworks—no worries. And when you got tired, you simply laid down, wherever you were. You did this one night on the sidewalk in a crowd during July 4 fireworks!

Thank you for everything you taught us and for leaving us with many special memories of you. We know you are busy looking for another greyhound to send to live with Janet and Murray. In true Faster-style, you are taking your time about it, undistracted by our expectations and timelines.

We envision you running and playing with legs and a body that work together again and let you run and do whatever you want—just like in the olden days. Now you can bask in the sun any time you want and not just in the summer. These are happy thoughts and we have to smile, even as our eyes fill up with tears. We are still sad in our hearts that you had to leave us.

Your place in our hearts is secure—no one will ever take it, no matter how many other special hounds we are honored to meet and love.

Much Love,

Dog-Mommy, Dog-Daddy, Janet and Murray

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

I'm so sorry :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry for your loss of Faster. It's a very beautiful tribute to your special boy.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

You must miss your golden boy very much. He had a good and long life with you, and I'm sorry he had to leave. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

So very sorry for the loss of your Faster.

The memories you have are wonderful ...always remember the good times.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am sorry for your loss; it's clear from your words that Faster was a very loved hound.

“(Faster) has an active fantasy life in which he himself is the star.” This just made me smile... Godspeed, Faster...

Guest PhillyPups

Carol and Mark,

I am so very sorry for your loss of wonderful Faster. (I have always had name envy for him.) Such a sweet perfect boy. I know how hard the losses are. Your tribute describes him so well. :bighug

Run with the angels perfect Faster, you are with the very very best. ~

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I think Faster has been here on this board since I have, or thereabouts.

You will be missed, special boy.

Godspeed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug

:gh_run2

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:grouphug I'm so very sorry.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest greytfulhounds

Carol & Mark, I am so very sorry for your loss. :cry1:bighug I only got to meet Faster a few times but he was a sweetheart & a lucky boy to have lived his life with you both.

Run with the angels sweet boy!

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Beautiful tribute for your boy. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson