A Horrible, Horrible Morning

calif_chaz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry to read what happend. Every dog owner's worst nightmare.

But yes, something similiar happened to a freind's 11yo female Grey around Christmastime. He said she yelped, got up off the bed and before she hit the carpet she was gone.

The only way to be sure is to ask the vet to do a necropsy (canine autopsy) and I'd do that if i had a pack and needed to rule out trauma or poisoning so that the others could be protected.

Most likely cause is an embolism in the lungs, a thrombosis blocing the heart or brain, also possibly a ruptured aortic aneurysm which, give what you said, sounds possible.

See the link for the lowdown later should you need to go there.

The only positive thing you can grasp here is that your dog didn't have to get old and go thu all the indignities it can bring.

Try to be glad that she lived and shared her life with you - nothing can ever take that away. :f_white:gh_run:heart

There are no words. Please, take care of yourself. I"m so very sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes, I lost a cat in a very similar fashion, and the ONLY comfort for me was the vet telling me there was NOTHING I could have done--I couldn't have gotten him to the vet to help him, I couldn't have done anything for him. I elected not to have a necropsy done, but she suspects it was something like a clot or something. I know how you feel. I was just--stunned. I just stood there, holding him, thinking, "How can he be dead? He was playing with his purple mouse, and now he's dead." I took him to the vet anyway--I didn't know what else to do. I found out later from the breeder that one of his uncles had died in a similar fashion--

I'm so sorry for your loss. Truly.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am in such shock that I have lost maggie. She was 10 1/2, super healthy and active, always bouncing around. this morning breakfast as usual, maybe 1 1/2 hr later she was panting a little. seemed a little restless so i made vet appt for this afternoon. she went out to potty and one hind quarter was really shaking as she squatted. came in and laid down, got up and the whole hind quarters shaking so bad she almost collapsed. She went over to one of the dog beds, laid down flat out on her side. a few minutes later she gave a couple of long howls, I ran over and she was not breathing. she was just gone. I am at a loss as to what happend but seems like maybe a clot? I am just devasted~she was my velcro girl and walking buddy. Has anyone had something like these symptoms happen?

I had a similar, but different, experience with my 4-1/2-year-old female grey, Windy. Young healthy, happy dog fine all day until 4:00 in the afternoon when suddenly she had some sort of seizure and couldn't move but was thrashing about on the carpet. I convinced the vet (4 blocks away) to come get her since I couldn't get her into my car by myself. She ended up being transported to the e-vet that evening (my vet couldn't keep her overnight without supervision) where she was kept for 3 days of X-rays, MRI, blood tests, etc. She never got any better and didn't appear to recognize me at all, so I had her euthanized. No necropsy, but the e-vet neurologist said it was probably a stroke from a blood clot. I was in shock, as you are, and my heart goes out to you. Please know that I truly am sorry for your loss.

What a heartbreak. I'm so sorry your girl had to leave, and so suddenly.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for your sudden loss.

:bighug

I know how shocking this is...we lost a Dobe just like this a few years ago.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

So sorry for your loss.....The shock of an unexpected loss is just crushing....but please take comfort in that her last moments were at her home with the human that she adored....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.