Twister Sheba

Guest vahoundlover

Guest vahoundlover

I can't tell you the hours I have spent trying to write this. A dear friend suggested pictures....which ones? I have thousands.....there are so many memories, 10 years, it's a long time! but it's not enough. It's never enough. 10 years.....how do I convery what 10 years has meant to us? I can't let the year end and a new one begin without remembering a soul that has had such a profound effect on our lives.

Sheba was one of our first. One of, because we chipped on our first adoption. His and Hers. His was Sheba, Hers was Dolly. We already had a XTerrier and Std Poodle. We wanted a playmate for Katie. We were out running errands and saw some activity in front of a local pet supply store. We stopped. it was a M&G. We had no idea, there were greyhounds here. We fell in love!! We went home and we both did a ton of reading. We talked. We read. We talked some more. We decided to call and ask to meet a couple that would work with our family. I fell in love with Dolly, DH with Sheba. When Sara asked us which one would be the new family member, my husband looked at me and laughed. The next thing I heard was, B O T H. I think that was the first time I have ever been rendered speachless! :lol

I never would have guessed the path we were heading down. Never. Not in a million years.

Because of Dolly and Sheba we have shared our life with Al, Boss, Muffy, Kirston, Harriet, Nod, Curly, Butter, Mack and GinGin and wanted to bring several others home that sadly wasn't meant to be for one reason or another. The friends we have made. The trips we have taken. The collars, coats, hats, jewelry, clothing and art that fills every nook and cranny of our home.

it seems like a nightmare. I can't believe she is gone. They are both gone now. It just can't be..........:weep

Sheba was a bounce. She went after the family cat, no she didn't get him, but she was returned. She was unflappable and after a settling in period we learned what a perfect dog she was. She loved people, other dogs, snuggling, playing ball or just playing chase, she loved life. She was awesome.

Dolly and Sheba, Greyhound Planet Day, their first event

371672-R1-09-16.jpg

Sheba in the middle. This would become a very familiar scene. She loved to snuggle.

Feb11snow2006.jpg

Being a goob with her daddy

sheba005.jpg

She was a ball fanatic.

BatsandShebaballAug112008044.jpg

A Diva

ChristmasParade2009050.jpg

Allan always said, she was an all american girl, she excelled at everything, particularly at winning our hearts.

Up until a few months ago, Sheba acted like an 8 yr old. never entered my mind that she would be leaving us this year. She had an odd episode and lost her backend for a couple of days. She bounced back quickly and almost completely. but she seemed to have aged years overnite. The first week of December DH came home to her holding her leg up and crying. He rushed her to the vets for xrays and they didn't find anything remarkable except for some arthritis in her ankle. She again, recovered in a couple of days and was back to *normal* Three weeks later she started limping. Meloxicam and Tramadol weren't making her comfortable. I squeezed her shoulder and she cried. We xrayed her leg again and there it was......the monster we all hate. While we were talking to our vet Sheba layed down on a bed. I asked her if she wanted to go home and she layed over on her side. she never tried to get up. The door to the exam room was open, she never tried to leave. We knew then what she wanted. We let her go.

Before we left for the vets office. I sat down on the floor and was talking to Sheba. I was calm. I knew in my gut what we were facing. Curly, Butter, Gin and Katie were laying on the floor around Sheba's bed. it's like they were saying their goodbye's. Sheba got up and came over to me and hugged me.

DSC_0052-2.jpg

She wasn't just Dh's girl, she had become mine too. :beatheart

DSC_0056-1.jpg

This morning I was coming home from a run. As I was heading up the hill, I was marveling at the view. The mountains were so crisp and blue, the sky looked as if a storm was clearing but yet there had been no storm. no rain. and there it was....... a rainbow. I stood in the middle of the street and just cried. I knew that rainbow was for me.

CSC_0058.jpg

Godspeed Sheba, thank you for changing our lives. :f_pink

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Hope, my heart is broken with yours. :bighug

Run with the angels Sweet Sheba, your work here is done, you are with the very very best ~

I am so sorry for your loss. What a moving tribute to your beautiful girl. Godspeed Sheba!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

A beautiful tribute for a beautiful girl. We are so sorry for your loss.

Run pain free Sheba. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Godspeed, Sheba. Run free to good health.

:bighug

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

i'm sorry for your loss, hope. i wish i had had a chance to photograph her.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest 4rooers

Sheba could not have had a better life or been loved more. I pray 2012 will be a good year for you both. Sheba will be having a grand old time with her buddies while she waits patiently for you and Allan. :grouphug Hugs to you

and for Sheba

f_yellow:f_whitef_yellow

I'm so sorry.

Godspeed, special girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am very sorry. Those last pictures of you both show the bond you had and are very touching. I know that Sheba has definitely earned her wings.

Run free Sheba, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest greytfulhounds

Hope, that was a beautiful, touching tribute to Miss Sheba. :cry1 Sheba stole our hearts the first time we met her! :wub: I will never forget her being our bed buddy when we came to visit....it was so thoughtful of her to snuggle with us so that we would not miss our own kids. :) I am forever grateful to Sheba & Dolly for bringing you into the world of greyhounds which brought you into my life; a friendship that means the world to me.

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. My love & prayers are with you both. :grouphug

Run with the angels beautiful Sheba!

:f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful girl. Your tribute was perfect for her, as she was for your home, too.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so, so sorry for your loss.

Sheba was obviously a much-loved girl and you will miss her so very much.

Just remember all the good times......

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. What an amazing tribute to a most amazing girl. My heart is broken for you and your DH.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Hope, I am so so sorry. The pictures of her hugging you are so powerful wub.gif

God speed baby girl, continue to watch over those you have left behind

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless