Chase Is Gone

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

Chase went to the Rainbow Bridge last Saturday 10/22/11. :cry1 It took me all week to be able to type this out. She had been through SO much, and always rallied, she had such spirit. I was in denial that we would lose her so soon. I still can't believe it really. I keep looking over at her bed expecting her to be there.

207132_707332388303_24204182_37941305_5995216_n.jpg190622_675820817743_24204182_37890137_7924545_n.jpg

Chase was surrendered to WAG in January at age 13.5 years. Her family adopted her in Chicago and had her for over 10 years. They had a second baby after moving to CT and "didn't have time for her anymore" but she was supposedly in great health for her age. Yeah, not quite. mad.gif

Chase was only 39 lbs when they surrendered her, and she wouldn't stop drinking water. I immediately rushed her to the emergency vet, and we feared she wouldn't make it through the night. But she did. She wanted to live. The vet couldn't find ANYthing wrong with her with bloodwork, ultrasound, etc. When I pressed for information, why was she so thin, he said "It appears to be a simple lack of intake". Basically, she'd been starved. :( Here is her thread from the time: Chase Needs Prayers

I've never published these photos publicly before, because we didn't want to affect the animal cruelty case against the former owners, but it ended up going nowhere. (Chase was shuffled from petsitter to petsitter, one petsitter ended up in the hospital and all her animals went to the shelter, etc. They couldn't determine where exactly Chase was starved, the case was too hard to prove. Chase was probably this thin while she was AT the shelter, but no one ever took her friggin coat off, so no one knew what she looked like under it angryfire.gif). So what the heck, have a look.

CAUTION: GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW

IMG_0068.jpgIMG_0078.jpg

But Chase rallied. She ate anything and everything, she scarfed down all the food I gave her. She was a fighter. She didn't like to be handled and she let you know about it! :lol I figure at her age, and after what she'd been through, she deserved to be a little cranky!

Once I got some weight on her, say around 46 lbs I think, Chase stopped eating well. Then began a constant battle getting her to eat, and I resorted to syringe-feeding when she was on a hunger strike. If I syringe-fed her her morning meal, or whenever she absolutely refused all food or cookies, I could get her eating again. It was a lot of work, but I'd do it again. It kept her alive, and she was happy, wandering around the yard, going for walks, etc.

284052_751589701293_24204182_38525704_78417_n.jpg

She got her dental cleaning, and had over 30 rotten teeth removed. Her kidney values were a little wonky going in, but we decided to do the dental anyway, those rotten teeth needed out. (Good Thoughts For Chase Please) She was left with 3 canines and 5 molars, and she preferred the hard biscuits! No soft treats for Chase, she liked the crunch. :) She got up to a great 52 lbs. Her racing weight was 55 lbs, so for her age I was very happy with that 52!

Eating hard biscuits!

312186_775388094123_24204182_38914881_232431111_n.jpg

Here's a video of her from around that time. She was totally deaf, but I talked to her anyway. :D

th_cb29ec6d.jpg

Then, Chase got a UTI, and several rounds of antibiotics didn't work. The infection progressed to her kidneys, and a culture revealed that the only antibiotic the bacteria was susceptible to was an IV antibiotic, known for damaging kidneys. :( But there was no other choice. She spent 2 weeks at the vet getting daily antibiotic injections, and on an IV drip 24/7. (Chase Has A Bad UTI) I visited her and snuck her her favorite food, pizza. :D She lost weight at the vet, back down to the low 40's (they had a hard time syringe-feeding her), but the bacteria was gone, and her kidney values improved! She turned 14 years old at the vet. (Chase Is Home From The Vet) She came home and over weeks/months I got her back up to 50 lbs. :) In July I was able to get a video of her running around the yard: Chase Does Zoomies!

Chasevet5-21-11.jpg

The kidney infection had damaged the kidneys, and she had suspected glomerulonephritis and protein-losing neuropathy. But her values were ok, it was in the early stages, and she was happy. :) We began an aspirin regimen (to prevent blood clots, and decrease pressure in the kidneys), and her kidney values improved slightly. We did bloodwork every month, and at the end of July the vet said her values were so stable that she didn't need to see her for another 5 months unless there was a problem.

Chase had her picky eating days, but I was able to stop syringe-feeding her altogether, and she ate when she wanted. Biscuits and Ensure helped! Her weight was great too. I didn't weigh her at the end, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had gotten up to 52-54 lbs.

This photo was taken on 10/16/11. I was really happy with her weight.

298236_779810097393_24204182_38958747_489433650_n.jpg

I made Chase an appointment with a canine ophthalmologist for Monday 10/24 to see about changing the treatment for her Pannus. Her left eye was becoming more covered with pigment, and was tearing more, clearly the Neo-Poly-Dex ointment wasn't working anymore. She never made it to that appointment. :(

Last Friday she was her normal self. Saturday morning she was a little more lethargic than usual. But she still ate her food, went outside, followed me around the kitchen for table scraps, etc. Saturday afternoon she acted strange, she woke up from sleeping, pooped on her bed, and stared into the corner. I brought her outside and she wandered and seemed confused. I led her back to her bed and she went to sleep. She started panting when she'd sit up, but her legs were cold, so I put her jammies on. Saturday night she had a hard time getting up, she vomited on the floor, refused any food, and when I checked her gums they were pale. :( We left for the e-vet.

The vet gave her oxygen and fluids, they said her blood pressure was very low, she was in shock. Bloodwork revealed very high liver enzymes, and her belly was tender. An x-ray showed her liver was huge. This looked like liver failure. :( The vet said she was stable, and they could do an ultrasound the next afternoon. I asked what the prognosis was, I didn't want to prolong this, what could the ultrasound tell us that would change anything? The vet agreed that it was not good news. I made the decision to say goodbye. Chase passed peacefully in my arms on Saturday 10/22/11, at 3:40 AM. :cry1

I know she was 14.5, and I'm glad that she had a long life, when we lose so many hounds far too young. But I can't help being disappointed that she didn't have a chance to live longer. I was only able to spoil her for 10 months. I don't think her life the past few years was very happy, and I'm upset that I didn't get to spoil her for longer. I'm also mad at myself, and I feel so guilty, for not noticing that she was "off" sooner. She was just doing so well, the whole thing caught me completely by surprise. Even sitting here typing this, I'm crying. Dammit, she wasn't here long enough. She wasn't ready. I wasn't ready. :weep

"Afton Chase" (5/22/97 - 10/22/11)

263860_748106746163_24204182_38450706_2312339_n.jpg

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though you only had her with you for 10 months, those were probably the 10 best months of her life. Thank you for sharing her story.

I am so very sorry for your loss of such a beautiful girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. Lindsay, I remember when Chase joined your family and how you couldn't post those pictures of her. I'll bet that those 10 months she spent with you were the best of her life. She was happy and she was loved so much.

You got her to the vet as soon as you could. You did good, Lindsay; you really did.

:f_white

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss Lindsay. Ten months or ten years, it's never enough time. You gave her some happy times when many wouldn't have bothered. You're an awesome dog mom!

:grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lindsay, the best time of her life was when Chase was with you. You have to believe that. :grouphug You done good. The videos of her "hopping" and sniffing air messages made me both smile and cry.

Godspeed precious Chase. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry on your loss of this sweet girl. She sure was a fighter, and a tough ole broad!

Shame on her original owners. Yes, they take a little more work & attention in their later years; but, #%$^%$ they deserve it after giving you their total love & devotion all the previous years. My heart cries for her. Thank God she found her way to you; and that you have the love & passion for these sweet souls that you so obviously do.

Good for you. May God bless you every day.

Enjoy the bridge, sweet Chase! :gh_run2

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

{{{{{{{{{{Lindsay}}}}}}}} I'm so sorry she couldn't wait a bit and stay longer with you.

A dog never had a more caring person nor a better home.

Godspeed, sweetheart. Send your Lindsay-person some kisses on the wind and some comforting dreams. She loved you and will never forget your incredible self.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You're the greatest, Lindsay, and Chase was indeed lucky to be your perma-foster. I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:f_pink

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

What a better world this would be if there were more people like you in it. You were her world. And it was good. I am so very sorry. It stinks.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Lindsay, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Chase.

The photos made me cry. Bless you for being there and loving her when she needed you so much.

Chase left this world knowing that she was loved.

RIP, sweet girl.

:grouphug:f_pink:f_pink

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish there were some words I could type to ease the pain. Just know that you are not the only member of the greyt-guilt club and that all of the rest of us members are right there with you. Always.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I too wish Chase could have found you sooner. You did an extraordinary job with her, and you both should have had the chance to enjoy each other longer. I'm glad you--and especially Chase--got those 10 months.

Godspeed Chase.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

We are very sorry for your loss of Chase. Thank you for taking her in and taking care of her.

Run free Chase. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Chase reminded me so much of Princess. I know there are two spunky ladies having a grand ol' time over the rainbow bridge now!

Godspeed, Chase. :heart:gh_run2

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Lindsey. I am very Sorry! Thank You for being her Angel and showing her what true love was all about...... :grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Chase! :f_red

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter