Harrison Is Gone

Guest cypselus

Guest cypselus

Our beloved Harrison was meant to live with us. Late in 2004, my then girlfriend began pressing the idea of us adopting a dog. She didn't want just any dog, but a greyhound. I was happy to get a dog, but thought greyhounds looked ridiculous and, foolishly, thought I would have preferred a Lab of some sort. But we went to a Greyhound Welfare adoption event anyway, and met him.

Harrison3.jpg

Right off, we fell in love. He was so much friendlier than the other greyhounds, so much more interested in people. We applied to adopt. The process is a long one, and we were cautioned not to fall in love with a particular dog, and Harrison had been available for several months, so someone must have been ready to snatch him right up, right? Over the week or two of the application process, we checked the Greyhound Welfare webpage several times a day to make sure he was still available. When the time came for our in-home visit, who should appear at my door but him! We were thrilled! Amazingly, we were approved to adopt, and finally we could bring him home. It was December 23rd, 2004.

As we walked into the home of his foster mother, we learned that he was a scoundrel, as he had just stolen her dinner while she was answering the door to let us in. This would be a theme for the rest of his life. He would eat any foodstuff he could get to, and he proved quite resourceful at the getting. He would steal food if you turned around, he would countersurf, he would open the garbage, he would open cabinets. Through a process both long and expensive, thanks to several frantic visits to the vet when he ate things he shouldn't have (all of which left him unscathed), we learned always to close doors, never to leave food unattended or on counters, and never to store food in base cabinets, which to our surprise he could get into easily.

Food was his great love. I have never seen any animal so in love with it as he was. In anticipation of meals he would nitter, and he would drool, and he would sometimes blow spit bubbles. Other than marrow bones, we never knew what his favorite foods were because he ate everything except leafy vegetables at maximum speed. Apples, bananas with the peel, strawberry stems, cicadas, crackers, fireflies, and poorly-guarded pizza all fell into his maw. The only time he ever refused food was in his last days. He was so infectiously joyful when he was eating. When he finished a meal, he would circle back to his bowl a few seconds later to check it again, and throughout the day, he would recheck it in case food had appeared there while he was away.

When he came to live with me, he was my shadow for months. He learned immediately where the kitchen was

img_IMG_0039.jpg

and where the bed was. For the first few years, he always slept with me, winter or summer. He wasn't the best sleeping partner. He earned the nickname encroach-a-roach for his habit of cockroaching, and for the way he would wedge his slender body into an opening on a sofa or in bed and then expand it with his powerful legs. But he was soft, and warm, and alive, and in later years when he stopped sleeping with me in the warm season, I always looked forward to the return of cold weather, which meant that right after we'd turned off the lights, he'd come into our room, rub his face against our mattress, and jump into bed and under the covers. I may miss that most of all.

He was a little high-strung and prone to separation anxiety when he first came to live with us. He hated being crated, and after he bent the crate trying to get out, we stopped trying to force him to use it, contrary to Greyhound Welfare instructions, and let him have the run of the house. He was much happier. He became happier still when my wife's sister's terrier mutt Sophie came to live with us, and he had a partner in crime. She taught him to play, and to bark. She would goad him into wrestling with her, and it was thanks to her that he kept running (not much, though, he was retired) up to the end. A bark and a few nips to the neck from her, and he was off to the races, with the little 18 lb dog yapping at his dust as he ran circles around her. Indoors, he would do zoomies on the carpet when it wasn't covered with toys.

harrison_sophy.jpg

zoomies.jpg

He was so wonderful with our children. He didn't mind their clumsy grasping, their climbing, or the strange noises they made. If my son wanted to pat Harrison's chest to hear the sound it made, or my daughter wanted to sit on him or grab his tail, it was no problem.

1-30-2010030.jpg

2-20-2010013.jpg

All he asked in return was for any donations of unwanted food they might spare for a starving greyhound.

approachingTheHighChair3.jpg

The past 14 months had been a bonus year. He had always had a sensitive stomach, and we had been told in July of 2010, based on debilitating vomiting and the presence of a mass the size of a bar of soap seen on ultrasound, that he almost certainly had stomach cancer and had weeks or months to live. It wasn't cancer at all and didn't take his life, as we found out during treatment of what turned out to be his final illness last week. He gave us another year in good health, and we were thankful every day for his extra time with us, though in the end, it didn't make it any easier to say goodbye when the end came.

So long, Harrison. Wait for me.

1-31-2010065.jpg

Harrison (JC David Star) 3/28/2001 - 9/24/2011.

Edited by cypselus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That face in the last picture moved me to tears. I am so very sorry. You both were blessed.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute was beautiful. You definitely have so many wonderful memories. RIP Harrison, you were one of a kind.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Harrison's story. The photos are wonderful.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Run free Harrison..run with my Junior...he arrived at the bridge Aug. 29th....Prayers, thoughts, kisses and hugs to your family, we know what you are going through...love and blessings to all...may your hearts heal with good memories...xoxoxox. Bob, Pam, Boise and Big Dan

That face in the last picture moved me to tears. I am so very sorry. You both were blessed.

Same here. I'm so sorry for your loss. He was very lucky to have shared his life with yours and vice versa. Godspeed Harrison.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

That was a fantastic tribute to a fantastic pup. I am very sorry for your loss. That look of devotion and love in that last picture, he was a winner in all aspects of life.

Run free Harrison, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest iconsmum

Thank you for that story. Harrison was beautiful and the pictures are awesome. I'm sorry you had to lose him but happy for him that he was so cherished...the baby feeding picture shot made me laugh and the last made me cry too.

They say good owners make good dogs, you know...

Guest GreytMom333

Tears here too. What a lovely tribute to a wonderful soul. You were both so blessed to be able to share your lives together. I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm happy you have wonderful memories and pictures to keep close to your aching heart. :brokenheart

I'm so sorry for your loss. Harrison was a beautiful boy & a very special spirit. Your pictures of him are wonderful wub.gif (some are x'ed out for me so I'll check back again later). Godspeed Harrison! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

It is so hard to say see you later to a wonderful friend. I am so sorry. Your tribute to Harrison had me in tears. :grouphug

Godspeed tweed-sweater Harrison. There are no leafy vegetables and plenty of cicadas and fireflies at the Bridge buffet. :gh_run

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Harrison - what an amazing boy he was, and so patient and gentle with your children - I can imagine what an enormous hole he has left in your lives.

Rest in peace, Harrison, loved and remembered always :brokenheart .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest WarmheartedPups

Oh my Gosh...what a wonderful story...and I loved your pictures...Harrison sounds like a very special dog......and handsome to boot. I am so very sorry ....my thoughts are with you.