Gigi Crossed The Bridge Today

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

I can't see or think straight. I made dinner but let Lizzie eat it. I am so devastated. I'm writing this knowing the risk that I can't edit tomorrow, but it needs to get out of my system. This afternoon I lost more than a best friend, I lost the only being on this earth who ever really knew and understood me.

About a month ago I found out Gigi, who was 6 1/2, had lymphoma. It's all a blur now. The meds didn't work. Chemo cost more than I could afford, and it wouldn't have bought her much time anyway. She got worse quickly. This morning I went to give her some people food -- I've been cooking for her for a week since I knew her time was almost up. Yesterday she had scarfed up her ground beef, rice and carrots. Today she took one bite, chewed as if to say "see mom I tried" and slinked away.

I took her out. After two houses she wanted to go back inside. She went upstairs to lay down on a pile of my dirty clothes. I cleaned my kitchen. She was still there. I took a shower. She was still there. Without even stopping to get dressed I layed down on the floor with her and immediately started bawling. She was trembling. She's lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks and she's nothing more than a skeleton. I looked into her eyes and saw darkness. I called the e-vet.

I couldn't stop crying on the way to the vet. I could hardly spell my name and address for the vet. I brought in her bed, and sat down on the floor with Gigi and sobbed. I said goodbye. She left this earth peacefully. I held her warm body as if we were just cuddling and watching TV, siting on the floor because she says it's to warm to lie up on the couch. I apologized to her. Despite what everyone tells me I still feel like there was something I could have done to help her. I tried to close her eyes but they wouldn't shut.

I love this girl. There are a lot of dogs who will gladly curl up next to you when you are sad. There are only a few that will do that when the time is right, but they also know that sometimes what you really need is for them to pound on the floor with their front paws and bark at you until you get up and play tug until the stuffy rips in half. Most of the time that's all I needed.

That's the bond I had with Gigi that I never had with Lizzie. But today, Lizzie seemed to know what to do.

Usually if I went out with Gigi and not Lizzie I'd come back to an accusatory "where have you been" nose in the crotch. Today I came in carrying just Gigi's leash and collar. Miss Lizzie scampered across the room, tail wagging and nearly crashing into the wall. She brought me one of those long squeak toys. I grabbed one end, and she clamped down on the other for dear life. She won that round and I chased her around the apartment before round 2. She hasn't left my side all night.

I'll post more to this thread when I am more coherent. I haven't slept in a week due to Gigi's problems. I hope I can catch a few winks tonight.

Edited by jessicaksu125

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't seen you on here in a while!

So sorry to hear about Gigi. Cancer has taken so many of our beloved hounds. She has good company where she is now.

Godspeed, girlie! And hugs to you!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your beautiful girl. She sounds like she was meant to be yours and no one else's. Godspeed, Gigi. :f_pink

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so sorry for your loss. Gigi was such a special girl.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest greyhoundgirl1

So sorry to hear about Gigi. I lost my wonderful boy to Lymphoma back in May. Don't beat yourself up over it. I tried part of the chemo thing to no avail. You did the right thing for her. Hopefully they will someday come up with a cure so that we don't lose so many of our beautiful and stoic hounds to such an insidious disease. My heart goes out to you, but know it does get easier and she will always be part of your wonderful memories. f_yellow

:brokenheart:cry1 :cry1 :cry1:brokenheart

My heart sank long and deep when I saw this thread. I thought she may have had a bit more time... She didn't. I am so terribly sorry, Jessica. I will never forget Gigi; she was such a character. I remember how your pretty girl made me laugh when she came to playgroup and did her twirls. I feel honored to have met her and to have even had the pleasure of dog-sitting her once. 

But no one knew her the way you knew her. You went through a lot together, and I know she has left an indelible mark on your heart. Be gentle and kind to yourself, and give yourself time to grieve her terrible loss. I hope that one day, in the not-too-distant future, thinking of her will bring more smiles than pain.  But it is not today... Today, hold on tight to your Lizzie, and lean on us for support. sadhugsmiley.gif

Rest in peace, Gigi. :gh_run2

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

In the depths of your pain Jessica, you still can write so eloquently about Gigi. I still remember with amusement your tales of when you first got her.

She was here so briefly for a reason you may never fathom, yet she may have passed the key to making her mom happy on to Lizzie.

I lost one quickly to lymphoma too. I'm sorry your girl has left you. You were a good mom to her.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so very sorry.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 Your precious girl had to leave much too soon. I hope Lizzie continues to help.

Godspeed Gigi.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My heart aches for you. :brokenheart Making that final decision for your beloved girlie is just devastating. :cry1 Know that Gigi is now free from pain and suffering, and is just a whisper away in spirit, forever in your heart. :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.