Pray For Onyx - Going To The Vets

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE!

She was given a reprieve. The vet took one look at her and said she's not ready yet. She can sit up on her own. Her appetite is very good (even for her). She has control of her bowels and bladder. We stood her up in the back of the SUV and when we place her hind feet where they should be she stood. It wasn't long and she swayed, but still stood solo.

Mark (vet) said she is definitely worth giving a try, so gave her a shot of dexamethazone, then sent us home with meds. I didn't look at the bottle, but I'm sure it's pred. Five days she gets it twice a day, 5 days once a day, then every other day. Definitely a steroid.

So, I drove home with my little old lady still demanding and still the Diva that she is.

By the way, for people who need a sling and do not have a chance to go to the store or make one, here's an idea I got on the fly today since the towel was so difficult to handle. If you have the large and not too stiff canvas bags, roll them up but have the handles hang out either side. Voila. Instant padded sling with handles.

Wonderful news.

When my old boy Chip, my horse who went to the bridge at age 32, was aging, I had a stash of dexameth.....While I didn't want to overuse it, given his advanced age, I figured there was no harm in using it as needed - and my vet was a great supporter and believer in quality of life. The dex was my miracle drug!!!!

I hope for Onyx that she has the same success with it!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

So glad to hear she is still with us! When my old girl had one of her worst back end failures (she had spinal issues) and we had to carry her into the vet using her bed like a gurney, she couldn't even stand or sit, a course of pred got her going again (and acupuncture kept her going for awhile)

:candle hang in there Onyx!

Yay, Onyx! :kiss2

Keep getting stronger, sweetie! You can do it!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so glad she's home.

Excellent idea on the sling, too. Thank you.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greystoked

Sweetie and his humans would like to add our prayers. And Spring is coming soon, I've been hearing and seeing the Spring birds, and the critters out back, and at the parks... they seem to be looking forward to this coming year.

That is great news! I hope you still have many, many more happy months with that girl!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Great news! Hang in for spring Onyx!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Hang in there, precious girl---spring is coming!

We're glad Onyx is home.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown