Please Pray For Gracie

Guest leemc

Wednesday night right before bed Gracie started pacing and panting. She had been fine all day. She wouldnt lay down, when she did it was just for a few seconds and she would moan. It was approx 11pm and I was very nervous. I took her to the emergency vet in my area. They were not sure what it was. I had heard about bloat and thought maybe it was that. They did xrays and ultrasounds and determined that she had internal bleeding. They said she has a punctured bowel and possible a ruptured spleen and that they need to do surgery. We still dont know what started this. I left the hospital at 2:30am . It turned out after we left she became stable and they held off on the surgery to do further testing. Her plasma counts were off. After many calls and tests on her they performed surgery yesterday afternoon. It turned out that she had twisted intestines. They had to remove 70% of her bowels. The assistant called at the beginning of the surgery and said there was a 50/50 chance she would make it. Thank God she made it! They said that she did very well and most dogs dont make it. After surgery she was doing better then expected but the first 48-72 hours are critical. Last night they did another plasma transplant and so far she is hanging in there. They said she cant survive with the loss of the bowels but I'm sure she will have to be on a special diet and have special needs but thats ok- as long as I have my Gracie home. PLEASE pray for her. I can use all the prayers I can get. I am heartbroken.

Thank you

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my word. Thank goodness you got her to the vet. Sending prayers for your girlie and many warm hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Praying for Gracie and hoping she comes through this okay. We'll be thinking of you both today and please update when you know more.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest LineDancerDana

Wednesday night right before bed Gracie started pacing and panting. She had been fine all day. She wouldnt lay down, when she did it was just for a few seconds and she would moan. It was approx 11pm and I was very nervous. I took her to the emergency vet in my area. They were not sure what it was. I had heard about bloat and thought maybe it was that. They did xrays and ultrasounds and determined that she had internal bleeding. They said she has a punctured bowel and possible a ruptured spleen and that they need to do surgery. We still dont know what started this. I left the hospital at 2:30am . It turned out after we left she became stable and they held off on the surgery to do further testing. Her plasma counts were off. After many calls and tests on her they performed surgery yesterday afternoon. It turned out that she had twisted intestines. They had to remove 70% of her bowels. The assistant called at the beginning of the surgery and said there was a 50/50 chance she would make it. Thank God she made it! They said that she did very well and most dogs dont make it. After surgery she was doing better then expected but the first 48-72 hours are critical. Last night they did another plasma transplant and so far she is hanging in there. They said she cant survive with the loss of the bowels but I'm sure she will have to be on a special diet and have special needs but thats ok- as long as I have my Gracie home. PLEASE pray for her. I can use all the prayers I can get. I am heartbroken.

Thank you

You got it! Many prayers going up for Gracie!

Adding our :hope for Gracie - and a :grouphug for you.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I just heard from the doctor. She said that I've got one strong dog! She is still very critical but is doing better then the doctor had anticipated. We are going to visit her this afternoon when my husband and daughter get home. I'm not sure if thats a good idea or not. I dont want her to get upset when I have to leave again but on the other hand I want her too see us and know that we didnt just drop her off the other night and leave her alone. I am gonna bring a t-shirt with my scent on it to leave with her.

Thank you all for the prayers, I think they are working but the doctor says we are no way out of the woods yet.

Did you say she "Can" or "Can't" survive without the bowels?

I sure hope it was just a typo and she can. Prayers are with you!

oops...sorry... I meant she can survive without them- thanks for the prayers- they are soooo needed :)

Thank you

typo towards the end..sorry..I meant she CAN survive with the bowel loss

Oh my gosh, poor Gracie and poor you.

Sending lots of healing prayers out for Gracie.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France