Nine Ball Hector

moofie

4059131055_55b5f71f6c.jpg

Nine Ball Hector

10.09.2005 - 06.01.2011

I'm devastated to inform you all that Hector Troublebottom aka Eggy suddenly passed away at 4am Thursday in his favourite spot (bottom of our bed). We're still in shock as Hector had shown no prior illness and was just gone in a few minutes (Grateful for hector's sake), so the vet suspects it was probably a heart attack or brain issue. Hector was a blood donor and had quarterly health check ups so it couldn't have been a noticeable heart problem. Luck steered us to a lovely crematorium at a picturesque farm run by a wonderful couple rather than go with the impersonal vets service we'd settled on simply due to time, so we were able to spend some time with Hector before his cremation and we both felt much happier on returning there to collect his ashes on Saturday than we would've at our busy vet practice.

We all miss him so much and the house feels so quiet without his presence. From the moment we brought Hector home he'd claimed it as his own, he seemed to view everything as an exciting adventure with a happy go lucky nature. While on walks he always had a spring in his step so his ears would bounce on his head, a showy trot complete with tail wag and a crazy repertoire of airs above ground and rears to equal a Spanish Riding School stallion. A beautiful soul that saw everyone as a friend and so laidback that even when my small nephew unexpectedly used him as a step he just looked round as if to say " hey, what are you doing up there?".

His nickname Troublebottom comes from his naughty streak, no toilet roll was ever safe, he once broke into the fridge scattering most of the contents on the floor, shoes were fair game (sometimes even when they contained feet) and once at a M&G he tried to chew a passers-by's walking stick. He was a terrible food thief, we've lost a fair few meals over the years and most embarrassingly stealing a sandwich from the hands of a toddler in a pram :blush. It was hard to be mad at Eggy for more than a brief moment as he'd look at you with those beautiful conker brown eyes and you'd realise it was your own stupid fault anyway.

Hector could be a bit of a diva, he'd whine to let you know when his water bowl was low or to remind you it was dinner time and he'd stand blocking the view of the TV if you didn't get up quick enough. No matter how much room there was on the sofa Hector would aim to fill it, from stretching so front & back paws touched both arms to curling into a tiny ball to fit in the smallest gap, sometimes he'd even trick you into moving by claiming he wanted to go out so he could then steal your spot. From his vantage point he could also look out the window to check what the neighbourhood cats were up to and bark at them :lol. Eggy gave the best snuggles but trying to share the sofa or bed with him wasn't always comfy as he'd always decide that his legs needed cleaning while they were stuck behind my back or violently kick while dream galloping.

During obedience training Hector always seemed to take much longer to get the hang of the tasks than his brother, but wasn't as slow as he pretended to be as he taught himself how to open the dog gates by jumping up and lifting the handle up with his mouth which he must of just figured out by watching us. He often used this trick in to follow us about like our shadow or so he could access his favourite spot on our bed, we miss that terribly now.

Here's a Hector slideshow i made earlier to cheer myself up with some happier memories.

Jen

Edited by moofie

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moofie, I let out an audible gasp when I saw Hector's name. I'm so very sorry. He was always a GT favourite of mine. I'll miss him a lot. flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I had to read his name twice, i didnt believe what i was reading.... Im so sorry for his sudden passing :weep:grouphug

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

I too did a double take :( . My heart goes out to you and your partner -- what an appalling shock for you.

Your Hector was so spirited and so handsome -- I will never forget your tales of his antics, nor your pictures.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no, I am so sorry for the sudden loss of your handsome boy, my deepest sympathy for you and your family, so young. :f_white:f_white

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Oh no!

I am so sorry to learn of your beautiful Hector's passing.

I always looked forward to your posts about him.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.

:grouphug:f_red:brokenheart

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so sorry for your loss.

Hector was so handsome as is wonderfully displayed in your slide show.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Hector, I remember seeing your photo of you wearing your red coat, standing in the snow. You were absoulutly stunning!! You sure will turn heads at the rainbow bridge!

Jen, I'm very sorry to hear. Smile that you were able to capture him so wonderfully...he will never be forgotten :)

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg