Princess, My Soulmate

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just called her. She's on her way home and will update then.

Tonya, between you and me we must be driving poor Hope crazy :lol

I only called her once after I got out of school :lol Must be you doing all the calling :lol (had I not been in school today, I definately would have called more than once ;) )

I keep calling :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Just got on and notice your post. I'praying for you and your girl.

Unfortunately I was not as fortunate as you are,

I had to make the so ever sad decision a couple of days ago. Wish you all the best in days to come.

Princess be well,

Hope called a bit ago. Princess was up before Hope left for home. She will update after she gets home and does turnout. She sounded good :)

adding: Jane must be a guardian angel. I'm glad my friend did not have to go through this all alone. Thank you, Jane.

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Hope left OSU around 6 pm so won't be home until about 10 tonight. After taking care of all her other furkids she is going to be just exhausted. So I hope it is okay with her if I post some details.

The biopsy done via endoscope was not conclusive. Dr. Couto and several other docs took a look and no-one could say one way or another for sure. The bile duct was definitely distended, indicating that bile was not flowing properly. The duodenal biopsy showed what looked to be some lymphatic cells but they weren't clearly lymphatic cells. So the recommendation was to continue on with surgery.

The surgeons put a stent in the bile duct and removed the gall bladder. The fluid in the gall bladder was viscous but there didn't appear to be a blockage. The surgeon commented that perhaps it was just too thick to pass through the duct properly but didn't say what would cause it to be this thick (at least not that I can remember). They took a full thickness sample of the duodenum (where they suspect there might be cancer if there is any cancer at all). While they were there they also took samples from the jejunum, the liver and I think the pancreas (not sure on the fourth sample). Normally it takes 3 to 5 days for pathology but Princess's surgeon is married to one of the pathologists at OSU. She says that her husband will likely put a rush on it for her and we might hear as soon as Wednesday. If it is lymphoma in the duodenum, Dr. Couto says he has only seen this three times in his entire career -- all of them were greyhounds. So given the rarity of this, I am hoping that everything is okay cancer-wise.

Meanwhile, Princess is staying at OSU where they can monitor her closely. She is currently in the ICU -- most dogs go to the ICU after any fairly major surgery so this was expected. They are administering Amicar and following Dr. Couto's protocol. Dr. Couto is in all week so he will be keeping tabs on her.

If needed, I will make up some home cooked food and take it in for Princess. I will be back at OSU on Thursday anyway, so if she is still there and Hope wants me to, I will ask to see her. On Thursday, my Joey is going in for a chest x-ray and monthly blood work. It will be almost 6 months since his amputation (osteo) on July 28. So I will either be very happy or very, very sad on Thursday.

I'm sure Hope will correct anything I've gotten wrong once she gets the chance.

Jane

Jane, thanks for the update and for keeping an eye on Hope and Princess for all of us far-away people -- you're awesome! Hoping your Joey's visit is a good one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jane, you are amazing! :goodluck for Joe on Thursday and for Princess to have a speedy recovery and clean biopsies!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jane, I'm so glad you were there with Hope today. Good luck to you and Joe later this week.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hope left OSU around 6 pm so won't be home until about 10 tonight. After taking care of all her other furkids she is going to be just exhausted. So I hope it is okay with her if I post some details.

The biopsy done via endoscope was not conclusive. Dr. Couto and several other docs took a look and no-one could say one way or another for sure. The bile duct was definitely distended, indicating that bile was not flowing properly. The duodenal biopsy showed what looked to be some lymphatic cells but they weren't clearly lymphatic cells. So the recommendation was to continue on with surgery.

The surgeons put a stent in the bile duct and removed the gall bladder. The fluid in the gall bladder was viscous but there didn't appear to be a blockage. The surgeon commented that perhaps it was just too thick to pass through the duct properly but didn't say what would cause it to be this thick (at least not that I can remember). They took a full thickness sample of the duodenum (where they suspect there might be cancer if there is any cancer at all). While they were there they also took samples from the jejunum, the liver and I think the pancreas (not sure on the fourth sample). Normally it takes 3 to 5 days for pathology but Princess's surgeon is married to one of the pathologists at OSU. She says that her husband will likely put a rush on it for her and we might hear as soon as Wednesday. If it is lymphoma in the duodenum, Dr. Couto says he has only seen this three times in his entire career -- all of them were greyhounds. So given the rarity of this, I am hoping that everything is okay cancer-wise.

Meanwhile, Princess is staying at OSU where they can monitor her closely. She is currently in the ICU -- most dogs go to the ICU after any fairly major surgery so this was expected. They are administering Amicar and following Dr. Couto's protocol. Dr. Couto is in all week so he will be keeping tabs on her.

If needed, I will make up some home cooked food and take it in for Princess. I will be back at OSU on Thursday anyway, so if she is still there and Hope wants me to, I will ask to see her. On Thursday, my Joey is going in for a chest x-ray and monthly blood work. It will be almost 6 months since his amputation (osteo) on July 28. So I will either be very happy or very, very sad on Thursday.

I'm sure Hope will correct anything I've gotten wrong once she gets the chance.

Jane

You got it all right! Thanks for updating for me. And many, many thanks for being there with me through the whole long day.

I will add one thing: Just before I left we were talking to the family of the Grey in the run next to princess. They told us how she made them all laugh yesterday when they brought the cart for their girl (who can't walk right now.) Princess decided that she did NOT want to go in her bed, and proceeded to try to climb into her neighbor's cart instead. That's my girl, still having a good time and not about to give up!

Guest IrskasMom

Lots and lots of Prayers again from here . :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug and a Cookie for later for Princess :dogcookie

Edited by IrskasMom

sending more prayers for your little girl!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Well--of course a royal chariot would appear for a Princess--and of course a Princess' surgeon would be married to a pathologist.

She's not named Princess for nothing!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

A cautiously optimistic update...what a great thing.

Take care of yourself, Hope, while OSU takes care of your Princess.

Jane, you really are an earthly angel. Thanks for being there for Hope.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I just got off the phone with Princess' vet student. She's doing well. He says she's about the same as she was before the surgery, which sounds greyt to me. Said she bounced back really quick for a Greyhound, and no bruising or anything. She really perks up when he takes her outside and wants to check everything out. He's managed to tube feed her a little, since she still does not want to eat. (It's only 20 hours since she came out of surgery, so I guess that doesn't sound too bad.)

He'll call and update me again before he leaves this morning. Now to figure out what's going on the the oil light on the 4=wheel drive, so I'm not snow bound since the snow came in.

More later, and thank you all so much for your continued thought and prayers for my girl.