Princess, My Soulmate

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an update, but I thought you'd like to see the most recent email from my friend in Michigan, that I work with in Saluki rescue. Makes me realize all over how proud I am to be part of the Greyhound community.

Hello Hope,

That is quite a plan of action, good thing you are so organized and knowledgeable.

Princess is such a great patient and a magnificent girl, it would not surprise me if she beats all odds by making an amazing recovery.

She probably will have potty accidents with all the meds especially the prednisone since that makes her want to drink more.

Hope, you have been "super mom" for Princess, you have given her every possible chance to beat this, and she knows it. She is giving her all too.

I am proud of your other hounds (including fosters) for being gentle and understanding with Princess.

The Greyhound folks have once again shown what a great bunch of people they are. I am thankful how much they have been able to support you and Princess.

Over and over again in all my days with rescue, it is the Greyhound people that always step up to the plate and make things happen.

Lori

And one of those people is you yourself. You holler if there is anything you need, OK? Sending scritchies to Ms. Princess and hugs to yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Brief update: Princess has had all her meds for the day, and we just have one more feeding to go. Her weight has dropped again, from 34.0 pounds to 32.2 pounds. We increase the size of her feedings tomorrow, and she is tolerating them well. I've also started giving her lots of (warmed) water through her feeding tube, since she hasn't runk on her own since this morning. She does seem to have perked up some with the fluids.

I don't think oral fluids are utilized quite as well as IV fluids, so I'm giving her about 30% more than she was getting IV before she went to OSU.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for us.

I'm glad Princess is home. I hope the treatments and feedings start to help her soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hope, Please keep us updated. Will be sending Miss Princess lots of weight-gaining-appetite-stimulating-liver-happy thoughts.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

We had a reasonably good night. I gave her her first meds, along with about 90 ml of water, at 8:15 this morning. At 8:30 she vomited, probably a couple of tablespoons, then about the same 5 minutes later. Around 9:00 she got up, restless, went outside, came back in and vomited about 450 ml of mostly thick mucous, with water and food. (Amazing what you can get off a vinyl floor with a flat sided platter, a big rubber spatula and a big measuring cup.)

I called OSU. Talked to an emergency doc, since it's a holiday, and they want me to take her for a chest x-ray to be sure she didn't aspirate. (This is the first time she's vomited through all of this. I'm waiting for my vet to call me back. Fortunately my vet is only about 15 minutes away - 4 miles and one 4-way stop.

I'll post again when I know more. Right now she's resting comfortably on my bed.

Sorry to hear that she's vomiting now. Maybe you have reached the point were you have to consider letting her go?? Her quailty of life needs to come first-- I'm sure you would agree. If she can't hold down food I'm not sure that there are too many other options--at 32lbs she must be skeletal. Sorry if this appears to be blunt-- not my intention- my heart aches for both of you.

Sorry to hear that she's vomiting now. Maybe you have reached the point were you have to consider letting her go?? Her quailty of life needs to come first-- I'm sure you would agree. If she can't hold down food I'm not sure that there are too many other options--at 32lbs she must be skeletal. Sorry if this appears to be blunt-- not my intention- my heart aches for both of you.

It's not blunt at all. It's actually what's foremost in my mind. As long as she told me she was not ready to quit, I had to honor that. Now that may be changing. I'm waiting for a call from my vet.

More prayers, for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Not the news I was hoping for this morning. My prayers continue for both of you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I talked to my vet. We agree it doesn't make any sense to haul her around to do a chest x-ray when we wouldn't do anything differently. Right now she's resting comfortably on my bed. Vet said to just let her rest and not try to give her anything at all for now.