Princess, My Soulmate

I'm so sorry to read you and that poor dog are having to go thru all of this.

I'd strongly agree with the person suggesting surgical intervention before nature moves matters into its own hands and the GB/Duct maybe ruptures causing sepsis and other serious problems.

But maybe before you go there, just think for a moment that the dog may be feeling really bad from toxin overload in the blood, so why not imagine you're also dealing with acute Renal Failure and go for a sustained flushing with sub-Q's, give Sucralfate to help put a lining back on what will by now be an acid-sore stomach. Also consider giving Azodyl and Calcitrol. (Anecdotally that interest in old poop may just be the dog seeking Calcium to help rebalance the ionic mix in the blood. Although milk isn't good, offer it just to see because one of my cats once 'self-medicated' on milk and regained quality of life with failing kidneys and almost certainly liver/digestive problems.)

This certainly isn't a simple one and maybe you need to think outside the box?

Sending good thoughts and calling up healing energy that you can hopefully pass on to your dog.

Edited by JohnF

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely considering at least a surgical consult. Someone else suggested an internist. We are doing ongoing flushing, about a liter a day, with IV fluids rather than sub-Q. She well may be nauseated, but neither the Pepcid, nor the Cerenia (for central mediated nausea) has made any difference. Ohio State is taking a look at her labs, and I'm waiting to hear back about that. Also waiting for a call from my vet.

Her weight this morning is down to 41 pounds, from 42.2 yesterday morningid

Please keep the ideas and prayers coming for my girl!

My gosh that's a lot of weight to lose and so quickly! I pray you find out what the problem is soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

One of mine refused food for what seemed like forever, lost a lot of weight,,

I forced Fat Balls down his throat. raw hamburger mixture with eggs and molasses.. small enough that a ball size would go down easily..

He swallowed it, and for about a week it was all he "ate"

he did well on it, and the Fat Balls became a staple of food in this house for a long time. I could hide pills in them, and used them as treats,, i just gave him as many as he wanted. it put extra weight on,, and started the hunger search for food.

Good luck, I know how it is watching, and worrying about our babies! :grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

no advice either, just many prayers coming her and your way :(:hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Drive safely, good luck and keep us posted, OK? You have my phone number if you need anything at all :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

:goodluck:hope:goodluck

we'll be thinking about you and Princess!

:hope one more for good measure!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest krystolla

Much luck, if you need anything PM me. I'm in Columbus and I have a guest room. We've had a bit of snow but the roads are clear now and you shouldn't see any travel problems.

My heart is breaking for you---I remember sleeping on the floor next to my heart dog, Nick, afraid that he would die if I left him for a second. Sadly, he did die without me at the emergency vet, and it hurts my heart every time I think about that. So I can understand just how you feel. I so wish that we could give you some magic advice. But the power of GT prayer is strong, so please know that you and Princess are in many prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Drive carefully and I hope they find out what the problem is.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I see you're off to Ohio State. Sending prayers and best wishes with you!

(Rest of original post deleted because it wasn't meant for this thread in the first place. Senior moment.)

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I just spoke with Hope. Princess is being seen at OSU. They are redoing Princess's blood work. The results should be back soon. Thankfully, Dr. Couto will be around all weekend.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

That's fantastic that Dr. Couto is there! Princess is in the best possible hands :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I hope you and Princess get some encouraging news soon. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Spoke with Hope. Bloodwork came back and is still of concern. Docs are going to repeat the ultrasound this evening.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.