Ear Infection?

kamsmom

Oh no Beth....I am so sorry that you and Isis are having such a tough time. Hugs for you both.... :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beth, the black gooey stuff you describe in Isis' ears are what I use to have to clean out of Bruiser my AB's ears. It was unbelievable the amount of goo and blood I would clean from his ears. I fought what I thought was ear infections for years. It wasn't until I changed all the dogs to grain-free that the problem cleared up. It's been a little over a year and a half now without any ear problems.

I hope something this simple could possibly be the cause of her problem.

Aw poor sweet Isis! I just saw this now, and sadly have nothing helpful to suggest. Just extra-gentle kisses for the sweetest mamadog ever. :kiss2

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Oh, Beth, I'm so sorry to read this! You know I'm no good for advice, so I won't even pretend. :lol But I will send lots of healing thoughts and love your way. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest zombrie

Poor Isis; she must be miserable. I hope the vets can figure out what it is quickly and treat her.

Years ago, we had a little Cocker Spaniel mix named Griffey who came down with an inner ear infection. It came on hard and fast, and we didn't know that's what it was. We thought she'd had a stroke because of the way she was walking. She couldn't stay balanced on that side and would fall over. When our vet diagnosed the ear infection, he said it was causing vertigo, and that's what was making her walk funny and lean to one side. Could Isis be dizzy as a result of whatever is going on in her ear?

My thoughts exactly. This is what happens to my mom due to a "bad" ear surgery. Having all that gunk in her ear could be making her dizzy and throwing her off balance.

Thanks everyone. It's just the one ear, not both so it leads me to think it's not allergies. Isis is now 9 years old. The vet said that yes some dogs have more black goo than others but he also said that this is much different than anything he had ever seen. The black goo is more like tissue from the inside of her ear. It is actual skin that is necrotic and sloughing off on the inside :(

I know the ear is causing the vertigo. A few months ago I had come home to find that Isis was walking funny and then she went down and couldn't walk at all. I raced her to the vet and he thought Stroke immediately or neurologic event. We went for an MRI and it was inconclusive. This event is making him think their is something up and that the two are related. It is effecting the same side as last time. Time will tell but she is definitely in some pain. He told me to continue with the Rimadyl and that if needed I could also use Tramadol.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

My only other thought is I wonder if there is something at least partially neurologic going on, in which case Gabapentin might also help. Mostly though I am useless and just hope that she improves soon. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thinking good thoughts for Isis. Do they treat the symptoms of vertigo in dogs? I take a drug called Antivert when I get vertigo (due to an inner ear issue), and it usually stops the spinning feeling. I hope her pain improves, poor girl.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Hey Beth, I know nothing, but chiming in to send a hug and some good thoughts for Isis :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest mom2hounds

I hope Isis feels better soon. I have lab mix that has had chronic ear infections on and off. I have never heard of anything that causes necrosis in the ears. Please keep us updated.

Oh boy! I hope she shows some improvement and you guys can figure this thing out. Get better Isis!

Up until your last post (about the previous related neurological event), I was reminded of something my DD had in her ear last year that no one could identify. Similar symptoms (though no goo). Lesions, swelling, scabby, kinda gross. Special lab tests showed it was a type of strep bacteria - like flesh eating disease. Cleared up quickly on antibiotics.

Healing thoughts coming your way!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Oh boy! I hope she shows some improvement and you guys can figure this thing out. Get better Isis!

Up until your last post (about the previous related neurological event), I was reminded of something my DD had in her ear last year that no one could identify. Similar symptoms (though no goo). Lesions, swelling, scabby, kinda gross. Special lab tests showed it was a type of strep bacteria - like flesh eating disease. Cleared up quickly on antibiotics.

Healing thoughts coming your way!

Interesting! I am gonna tell the vet about that.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Oh Beth! I hope you receive quick answers and quick relief for sweet Isis!

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

:grouphug for you and Isis

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

Just seeing this Beth, good thoughts and prayers for your sweet girl.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Just seeing this, Beth. I don't have any good ideas for you, but as you may know, Turbo's ear skin sloughs off and has done for years now. Occasionally, it will really irritate him and he'll shake his head so much that his ears will swell. Unfortunately, none of the three vets who have examined him, including a board certified dermatologist, have ever been able to figure it out. I don't know if it's the same - Turbo's ears tend to slough from the outter to the middle canal and it's very clearly dead skin, but when it comes out, it can sometimes get bloody or leave lesions. As you probably know, a dog's ear canals are L-shaped, so they can get gunk lodged down after the bend in the L and it's difficult to clean out or figure out what's going on because it's hard to see with an otiscope (especially when they're awake, swollen and painful and don't want you to look!). For us, when it gets really bad, Synotic drops have controlled the inflamation.

The only thing I could suggest is maybe having a Coombs/ANA run to make sure that it's not something autoimmune. Autoimmune disorders frequently affect "different" skin, such as ears, nose, genitals, etc.

Anyway, I'm probably not much help. Sending you and Isis lots of good thoughts.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire