Ear Infection?

kamsmom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping you get some answers today. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

sending more prayers for your girl! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Praying for beautiful Isis! Hope you get a dx soon! (FWIW: I would culture the discharge.):candle:hope:candle:hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Gosh, I was hoping she was doing better. Hopefully the vet's will come up with something to help her today.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I know it's not 4 there yet, but it is here so just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and sweet Isis. I hope you get some answers today. :goodluck

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have been readin through this for the last few days and praying, Isis would turn the corner as quickly as she turned the other way.

So maddening when you can't figure out what is going on and they are so uncomfortable. Keeping your sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest ProudGreyMom

When I adopted Andy he was right off the track and had double ear infections of both bacteria and yeast - he was VERY uncomfortable. The vet gave us drops and pills. Vazzy (my beagle) just went to the vet yesterday and she has bacteria infections in her ears - very stinky and very itchy for her. She is on day 2 of her drops and doing better.

Any updates? :hope

Not a lot different. We went to the vet and we recultured the ear. The vet said that it basically looks the same. He had the other vet come in and weigh in as well. Same conclusion that neither have seen anything like it.

I mentioned the possibility of food allergy but my vet said that if it was just infection he would buy that but that with the lesions and that they are bleeding it has him concerned more. And she is already eating 3/4 grain free and 1/4 of kirkland chicken. So, he said go ahead and try just using the grain free (natures domain) just to rule it out.

We started on an antibiotic and will stay on for 10 days. She is still wobbly and he was sure to tell me to be prepared that she may always be wobbly from now on. He said we would keep looking for answers. He likes Isis, she gives him kisses and basically lays down the entire time he examines her :lol He has always laughed that Isis walks in to the exam room and takes the seat right away so that it only leaves me and the vet the floor :lol He talks to her and calls her princess :wub:

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Aw, smooches to Isis, and hopes that she feels better soon.

:lol at the vet. Mango would do the same thing, lay down and stretch out, but she would do it on the floor, so my vet would get right down there with her, and so would I the times that we had to wait for things like xrays or blood tests.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Assume they've flushed the ear well and sent some of the gook out for culture?

Hope the antibiotics help clear things up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Isis, I hope you are able to get to the bottom of what is causing this. I can't go back and look right now but did the vet rule out a fungal infection?

You mentioned she is fed almost grain-free, however sometimes even just a small amount of something they have an intolerance to can cause problems. After I made the dietary changes for Nadir and he had been clear of any incontinence for some time I ordered some Tuna Tooters from Sue. I told her about his problem with rice specifically so we decided to try garbanzo bean flour instead. After about 2 weeks of giving these treats sporadically Nadir started having accidents again. I stopped the treats and the accidents stopped. To test it out I started giving him some again, sure enough after a short time the problems started again, stopped the treats again and accidents stopped.

My Zip boy (now an angel) was a floppy eared cocker spaniel. He had horrible, smelly, black gook ear infections seasonally every year of his life from ages 2-13. It would come in the fall and be gone by Christmas. His was definitely allergies and we eventually (after 6 vets) learned how to minimalize it - never got to the point of eliminating it. And no amount of time or effort to keeping his ears clean helped.

It sounds like Isis has other things going on. Hugs to you and prayers for Isis that the vet can figure this out and make her comfortable. Poor girl.

edited for silly spelling mistakes

Edited by maggiespet

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest KennelMom

Poor Isis :( Sending lots of good thoughts your way. Hopefully she responds to the antibiotics and gets some relief :grouphug It's so frustrating and scary when the vets don't know what's wrong and they can't seem to get anything, esp the pain, under control :(

Sending healing white light and hugs to comfort everyone. I know the waiting is agonizing. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead