Ear Infection?

kamsmom

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sending prayers for your sweet girl! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

How's she doing today, Beth?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LindsaySF

I wouldn't freak out yet. It could just be a severe ear infection. Deep inner ear infections can cause neurological symptoms. Sometimes dogs need to be put under so they can clean all the way inside. And finding skin cells or tissue on the swab is not uncommon, especially if the ear is swollen and there is a lot of trauma due to head shaking, scratching with their paws, etc.

Did they culture the bacteria they got from the ear? What meds have they tried? When I have had dogs with ear infections in the past, where black goo was coming out, it affected only one ear and we believe it was a yeast infection. Mometamax took care of it (it's anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory).

Good luck.

~Lindsay~

Just seeing this, Beth. I don't have any good ideas for you, but as you may know, Turbo's ear skin sloughs off and has done for years now. Occasionally, it will really irritate him and he'll shake his head so much that his ears will swell. Unfortunately, none of the three vets who have examined him, including a board certified dermatologist, have ever been able to figure it out. I don't know if it's the same - Turbo's ears tend to slough from the outter to the middle canal and it's very clearly dead skin, but when it comes out, it can sometimes get bloody or leave lesions. As you probably know, a dog's ear canals are L-shaped, so they can get gunk lodged down after the bend in the L and it's difficult to clean out or figure out what's going on because it's hard to see with an otiscope (especially when they're awake, swollen and painful and don't want you to look!). For us, when it gets really bad, Synotic drops have controlled the inflamation.

The only thing I could suggest is maybe having a Coombs/ANA run to make sure that it's not something autoimmune. Autoimmune disorders frequently affect "different" skin, such as ears, nose, genitals, etc.

Anyway, I'm probably not much help. Sending you and Isis lots of good thoughts.

For not having any ideas, that's a lot of ideas. And ew, genital skin.

Thinking about pretty Isis tonight, Beth. I hope she is back to her snuggly roachy self soon. :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Thanks everyone. There really isn't much improvement and not much to report :( She is still in pain and actually I would say a bit more lethargic tonight. She is laying beside me but just isn't "right". I called the vet earlier because the kids couldn't get her to get up when they got home but when I got home she got up and was wagging at me but was very wobbly. I was able to get her outside to potty but she was still wobbly. She came right back in and laid down and fell asleep again. The vet said I could bring her in again in the morning if I felt that I couldn't wait until Thursday.... we'll see how this evening goes.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Hope they can figure something out for her soon....so frustrating not to know what the problem is...:bighug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Poor peanut and poor you.

It really has to suck not feeling well and it sucks even more that you can't do anything to make it better.

:grouphug to you both

Beth, does she have a fever?

Poor little girl, hope she is feeling at least a tiny bit better in the morning :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Not much change today. Still very tired and still lots of black goo coming out. She is shaking her head less and this morning even roached in a sunbeam. We go in tomorrow for a recheck and we'll hopefully get some answers then.

Well, last night I took the two younger kids to cheer and Kait stayed home with the dogs. She called me and said Isis was pacing and crying the entire time. :( She does this occasionally anyway when I leave but Kait said it was more like pain crying. We go in to the vet for a recheck today so hopefully between the two vets we can at least get her something to control pain better and also get a few answers.

Well, last night I took the two younger kids to cheer and Kait stayed home with the dogs. She called me and said Isis was pacing and crying the entire time. :( She does this occasionally anyway when I leave but Kait said it was more like pain crying. We go in to the vet for a recheck today so hopefully between the two vets we can at least get her something to control pain better and also get a few answers.

Beth I'm so sorry poor Isis is having such a rough time with her ear. I know you don't think it could be allergy related but when Bruiser had his problem it normally only affected one of his ears. If it is allergy related I know sometimes it's hard to determine what they are allergic to. I always start with the things I know are known to cause problems. That is why I switched to grain-free when Nadir had his incontinence issues and I suspected it could be allergy related. It not only cleared up his incontinence, but had the unexpected benefit of clearing up Bruiser's ear problem and put an end to their voracious appetite for poo.

I'm really not trying to get on my soapbox about grains, I know a lot of dogs do fine on them with no problems. However, their are some who develop problems with them over time and can no longer tolerate them without causing health issues.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to get some answers today for Isis. I know how much it hurts to know they are sick and not be able to figure out what is causing it. Hugs to you and Isis!

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

Guest wmlcml6

Not the update any of us were hoping for, but a lot of prayers are surely going out for Isis and for you, and for the vets to give them the knowledge to treat her. Feel better, pretty Isis.