How Do You Hide Pills?

Over the years I've tried many foods to hide pills in and not all have worked so well, but I think I've got a winner at long last - hamburger meatballs! I've tried peanut butter, cream cheese, cheese, hot dogs and every combo in between but a golf ball sized wad of raw high fat hamburger appears to be irresistible. I give them as a treat or mixed into the food sometimes and he is so excited that he simply gulps them down. I've been using this for about 6 weeks now and it hasn't failed yet - what have you discovered to be the best solution for hiding your dog's pills? This novelty may wear off so I want to be prepared just in case :blush

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

My stand by's are a peanut butter sandwich, a ball of cheese with the pills in it and putting it in their food. If one doesn't work the other usually does.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Use the exact same method. A ball of raw meat. Since Ellie's bout of pancreatitis we've been using 99% fat free ground turkey breast, but result is the same.

Robin has been taking 9 (count em, 9) pills a day for the last 3 weeks due to his recent staph ordeal. And before he was diagnosed with the staph infection he was taking a ton of pills for his auto immune disease too.

My go-to pill hiders are american cheese slices. I tear a slice of american cheese into 4 pieces. I put up to 3 pills in that piece of cheese and fold it up like a taco. Robin wolfs it down every single time.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

DW makes dried fruit leather - it works great!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest luvdogs

yup, cheese slices for me too. The pills go down particularly well if my male is taking the cheese/pill and my female is standing right next to him!! :colgate

We either make itty-bitty peanut butter sandwiches (can get several days worth of pills out of a slice of bread) or a tiny bit of braunschweiger. We just hide the pill in the center and usually they line up for 'treats'!

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

My go-to pill hiders are american cheese slices. I tear a slice of american cheese into 4 pieces. I put up to 3 pills in that piece of cheese and fold it up like a taco. Robin wolfs it down every single time.

Me too. Put pills in and hold in your hand a second so it mushes around the pill(s). One thing you can also do is give small (like 1/8 of a slice, then give the baited slice while immediately holding up another 1/8 of a slice. They don't have time to inspect the trojan horse as they want the next piece.

Wow -- 9 pills a day. Elvis only had to take 2 twice a day.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Me too. Put pills in and hold in your hand a second so it mushes around the pill(s). One thing you can also do is give small (like 1/8 of a slice, then give the baited slice while immediately holding up another 1/8 of a slice. They don't have time to inspect the trojan horse as they want the next piece.

Wow -- 9 pills a day. Elvis only had to take 2 twice a day.

He takes 2 clavamox, 3 enroflaxin and a pepcid ac in the morning, and then 2 more clavamox and 1 more pepcid ac at night!

(sorry for the brief thread hijack).

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Mine love pill pockets.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I don't hide the pills. I just stand with the hound between my legs, squeeze so they cant back away, tilt the head back toward my chest, pinch the jaw open with my left hand, put the pills in the back of the throat with my right hand. Once the pills are in the throat, I hold the mouth closed and rub the throat until a swallow. This is the same technique I use when I have to induce vomiting using Hydrogen Peroxide.

I stuff Chase's enalapril in jumbo marshmallows. I've never had any problem getting him to take pills in cheese, or liverwurst or peanut butter, but it's much less mess and fuss to grab a mooshie and poke the pill into it with my fingernail. All four dogs line up for "mooshie time" but only Chase's has meds in it.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Vienna sausages- they're not just for breakfast anymore! :lol:lol:lol

(actually thanks to my southern Daddy, this is the ONLY way Saoirse will take a pill. She used to eat them straight. Thanks, Daddy! :rolleyes:

I don't hide them either...Gary gets omega 3 every morning and willingly eats them...Molly gets cranberry every day but won't eat anything and has a very dexterous tongue to pick them out of food...I just put them down her throat - can't be too bad, she comes every morning to have it done! :)

Spring-siggy-with-Hana.jpg
Angel Gary (Hallo Smoke'em 2000-2013), Angel Molly (Kiowa Mysticrule 1999-2011) Linda, Hana, Sultan

My girls get suspicious early on. So whatever I have chosen to hide the pill in I first offer to the one, then the other. After about the third bite, they are in a race to make sure they don't lose out, so the 'winner' finally gets her meds. Thank goodness i don't have this problem often, I'm afraid I might lose a finger in their "race".

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

We have used different things but found whatever we use we have a system. The first item does not have a pill and then the ones following have a pill. We feed them really fast so they don't have time to chew and discover the pill. Then last they get the item without a pill and can take time to chew. For Smokey, the blind boy, we just drop them in his bowl and he munches on.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

I usually use canned cat food that's been refrigerated , so it forms a nice ball around the pill. The Greenies Pill Pockets work too. Polly got wise to everything a while back and we had to just poke them down.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown