Larry Is Not Crossing The Bridge Today

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

I hardly know where to start:

We had Larry checked out by another vet (I just couldn't let him go without another opinion) and have been given hope about his condition.

Larry is very sore; there is no doubt about that. He has a dark-colored, soft spot on his wrist, but the vet doesn't feel it is a mass (although he wasn't sure what it was and again, we didn't xray.) Larry has developed severe edema in his left front leg and slight edema in the right front leg. We were afraid it might be infection of some kind, but his temperature is normal. According to the vet, the likely culprit is just inactivity on Larry's part. He's sore from the attack, so he doesn't want to get up. The less he gets up, the more he swells. The more he swells, the more painful it is for him to get up. Vicious cycle.

After much discussion amongst us, we have opted to try Larry on steroids at least over the weekend. He received two shots today. (And yes, enough time had passed since his last dose of both Deramaxx and Metacam. We are going to try to get him up more to get his blood circulating and reduce the swelling. On Monday, we'll reevaluate.

The vet was impressed with how strong Larry's heart sounds.

Are we just prolonging the agony and putting off the inevitable. Possibly. But my hubby, who is normally VERY pragmatic about letting our animals go, is the one who said, "I really believe we need to give him a chance on the steroids over the weekend." Very unlike him, but my love for him increased ten-fold in that moment.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never know how hard I am praying for all of you. :beatheart

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest caiteag

I think you are absolutely doing the right thing.. you have to give him the chance.

Prayers and white light are heading Larry's way from our house!!

:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle:hope:candle

Guest bigorangedog

Adrianne - Wow. Good for you for getting another opinion. You would always have wondered, otherwise. I bet a shot of prednisone is going to make a big difference. It did for Apollo, when his back was hurting. (My vet always says, "Nothing should die without a round of prednisone.")

I don't think you're just dragging out his suffering. You're doing what you need to do to be sure it's the right time for him.

In the meantime, you can help the edema by massaging his legs, using moist heat on them, and moving them a bit for him while he is lying down. (You might wait to try this with the very sore front leg, but you can start with the back leg.)

Many, many hugs. I will wait for updates!

You know your sweet boy better than anyone, and if you feel that it's not time, then your heart is telling you the truth. Even though these ups and downs are so stressful for you and your husband, listen to what your heart is saying on the deepest level, and cherish this precious time.

And give Larry a big, gentle hug from all his admirers. We hope to see that lovely face for quite a while.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Me too. Sweet Larry - come on bud. We're all here with you.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Larry, you have so many people pulling for you. You have been on my mind all day. I really hope that you start feeling better soon. Tell your Mom that you want more chicken and Dairy Queen. I bet you will get it. :grouphug

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

That goes for me and my Mom too. You are absolutely doing the right thing. The heart KNOWS what the mind can't understand sometimes. How wonderful that you had the presence of mind admidst all the turmoil to get a second opinion and how wonderful for the hope it provides. The worse that can happen is that you are able to spoil him some more with chicken dinners and ice cream lol. Like the other poster said please give him gentle hugs/kisses :kiss2 for us and we are showering him and your family with our love and prayers. :beatheart

Guest Energy11

I have handsome Larry's photo in the arms of my Greyhound Angel (*she is the my tree topper), and she is looking out for him :-)) I usually keep his photo on my frig, but, I wanted it out in the livingroom with us and The Five, so he could "feel" all our good thoughts!

Love you, Larry!

Sounds like a really good plan as I breathe a sigh of relief!

And as far as the steroids and deramaxx, that is the least of your problems. You got to do what you got to do. We have had Beau on mega doses of pred for a long time and sometimes we had to give him a metacam shot with something to coat his tummy and he was fine.

Larry will be too.

Keeping you and Larry in my thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

You would be surprised how fast they can swell from inactivity. Saint came down with a bug not too long ago and he just lay on his bed out here. I went to let him outside at the end of the day and both his front legs had become swollen. Upon taking him to our vet he told us the same thing, the more inactive they are the more they swell, making them uncomfortable so they don't want to get up and about. The minute I got Saint up and moving by making him walk around the back yard with me several times a day, the swelling went down immediately.

I've got Larry in my prayers. I hope the steroids do their job, bring down the swelling and make him more comfortable!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Houndie

You are absolutely doing the right thing, giving the pred a chance to work. You and your husband know Larry best, and that is the assurance you are making a good decision. I'm thinking grilled chicken and ice cream might be a good idea again. You all continue in our thoughts and prayers.

Guest GentleHugs

A 2nd opinion is always best - especially if one is uncertain about the diagnosis of the 1st and the 1st diagnosis has not be proven beyond the shadow of doubt.

Please keep us posted when you can - we are all pulling and praying for Larry...... sometimes it takes a while for the older ones to heal after an incident like Larry had with the cat and I wouldn't doubt about an infection of some sorts brewing because of that cat, too.

Btw - I am relieved to hear that Larry is still with us as well.

Love ya Larry! Stay strong!

Me too. Sweet Larry - come on bud. We're all here with you.

Same here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

It feels like you're doing the right thing! All fingers and paws crossed here that strong-hearted Larry improves and fast. :wub:

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thinking good thoughts for Larry :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck Keeping my fingers very tightly crossed that the steroids help :candle:hope

:bighug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I'm keeping Larry in my prayers. I think a second opinion was the right thing to do also.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson