Tiowa Perry

BluegrassGrey

Perry was my first Greyhound, adopted July 13, 2002. I had just moved to Kentucky a month previously, but I had been preparing for and dreaming of that adoption day for years. He was one of the first to graduate from the Team Greyhound of Ohio prison training program.

We got to learn the new town together. Perry was an instapet- one of those Greyhounds that makes you want a hundred more just like him. And I searched for litter mates of his for years to no avail.

We traveled all over together. Dewey Beach in October 2003 (he was one of only two dogs in the very first "PMS" house), and Sandy Paws at Jekyll Island in March 2009 amongst others. He swam in the Atlantic ocean, waded in Michigan lakes and rivers. Perry loved the beach, and was passionate about running- anywhere and everywhere he could. He even rode a pontoon boat, ears flapping in the breeze, nose in the air- enjoying life. At home, he never missed a chance at a dip in his doggy pool- even in his last week- he enjoyed it.

On the track during his career, he was a fairly good racer- 1st place wins and comments like ““early control”, “speed to spare”, “easily on,” “lead from the start,” “early command,” and “much the best” described his races at Bluffs Run racetrack in Iowa. He retired after he broke his hock in a race in 2001. His heart was always in running, and run he did in retirement as well- every single day, and when I recently saw the grass slowly growing back along our fence line, I knew it wasn’t going to be much longer. Perry made it back to the track twice- standing on the hill overlooking Tri State in WV in 2003 . Then going track side Wheeling, WV in 2004. His enthusiasm for running was beyond apparent as he barked and tugged at the leash to get back on the track.

Perry's retirement was also filled with helping others- human and hound alike. He obtained his LOAL national pet therapy certification in 2004 and spent over five years in a local library program where children practiced their reading skills by reading to him- he was non-judgmental, always had a listening ear, and forever patient.

Perry also helped hundreds of Greyhounds find homes over nearly eight years. He was a great teacher for dozens of fosters that came continuously through his home, he spent countless weekends leading meet and greets, and did too many home visits to count. One of the most memorable was when a family commented on how great he looked, and asked about his age. They guessed he was five years old, only shocked to discover he was over ten at the time. Perry gave senior hounds a new face, and consequently this family adopted their own senior Greyhound the next week.

He also won the 2009 Greytalk Suzy award for "Best Duo"- the other half of the duo being his litter mate, Pistol, whom I finally found and adopted in 2008.

Perry impressed even his own veterinarian with his peak physical condition as he aged. His vet commented that he was the healthiest and fittest senior Greyhound he had ever seen- and that was on his 11th birthday. Sadly, that was the same day he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his shoulder. The vet warned, as I already knew, that even though this was caught very early (he had nearly no symptoms at that point), that he may have 1-2 months at best, because we all know how quickly osteo can ravage them.

Perry fought and lived life to the fullest. He was happy, he ran every single day to the very end, he ate everything in sight. He kicked cancer's ass for over 7 months- I've never seen or heard anything like it. His pain medications combined with his existing superb health allowed him to stay on top of it all.

I could go on, of course any of you could when it comes to your heart dog, but I'll stop here.

gallery_1148_3019_79886.jpg

gallery_1148_3060_40057.jpg

gallery_1148_3060_22874.jpg

gallery_1148_3060_11197.jpg

gallery_1148_3060_84045.jpg

Edited by BluegrassGrey

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

I'm so sorry. What a beautiful tribute to your beloved Perry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Quite a boy, I am so sorry he had to leave.

God speed to you handsome boy, knowing how very much you are truly loved

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Perry was a very handsome boy. I am sorry for your loss. He was obviously a brave soul to have battled that disease for so long.

Run free Perry, run free... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Perry gave cancer a good run for the money. He should have won.

What a wonderful story and thank you for sharing your memories.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Wow, what a guy. And what a greyt pair you were! Perry had a fabulous life with you. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry. What wonderful times you two shared.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 It's wonderful that your special boy was able to keep going for seven months; I wish he could have stayed longer.

Godspeed Perry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you for sharing Perry with us. I am so very sorry for your loss.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I remember handsome Perry from the very first PMS House. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Gingergrey

What a wonderful tribute to your heartdog Perry. He was involved in a lot and has made many great memories for you.

Godspeed sweet Perry. :gh_run

What an exceptional dog, as beautiful inside as he was outside. And he found the perfect person to join him in living life to the fullest.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Perry.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown