A Euthanasia Question

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

With Wizard declining, I have one nagging question about euthanasia meds--I'm going to talk to our vet later today. When we put our sweetheart Simon to sleep, the "sedative", (same one they used pre-surgery) made her rather suddenly anxious and active just before she got the shot to end things. I'm hoping not to have a repeat of that in the future, and my dogs all respond that way to pre-meds for surgery. I want to ask the vet about better methods of sedation we can use, especially as Wizard has become very sensitive, even to things like blood being drawn and the vitamin B shot. He's been through a lot, and I want to make this final procedure comfortable for him.

what is the gentlest but strongest way to sedate a dog for this? I'm thinking the med they give dogs to knock them out for brief procedures that they then reverse with another shot works better. Could that be used? Forgive me; I don't know the names of any of these drugs.

Help?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the kindest way is to have an iv cath placed first. That way propofol can be administered first--that way the pet will be sleeping when the final injection is given.

This is the procedure we followed with Misty, and I felt it was the kindest method to say goodbye

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Was an IV catheter placed, Susan? That eliminates the trauma of either shot or the sting of any meds. Our vet always uses one unless there's an extreme emergency.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

No; they did not use an IV catheter that I recall. I just got off the phone with our (different) vet, and she says she uses an intramuscular injection of Tilazol (not sure about spelling), and that they sometimes yelp once when that is given. I don't know if it would be better or worse than an IV. I'm worried.

ETA to add that it wasn't the shot that caused Simon to become agitated, but rather the medication itself, as it began to take effect. That is what i'm hoping to avoid, but also, since Wiz is so sensitive to shots, especially now, I'm worried about the injection itself.

I am going to pick up the gabapentin now to see if it helps give him a little more time. I wonder if I should even be experimenting with him anymore, but at the moment it's all I can think to do, and our vet will be out of the office Sat and Sun, tho the e-clinic could help us. Not sure what meds they use, though, either.

Edited by SusanP

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I simply have the injection given. I don't do any sedating. I've never understood why they do that. Dogs don't relish having IVs put in either. I haven't had a dog fight or yelp when being PTS.

I've never had a "pre-sedative" given either, and never noticed any anxiety, beyond the usual being at the vet. I really wish my vet could come to the house :(

Given all that Wizard has been through, though, maybe something like Valium would take the edge off? Just a thought.

Do they ever use gas first with dogs? Either sevo- or iso- flurane? All of my hedgehogs who needed to cross get gas first and then they're completely out when the injection is given. Would Wizard be OK with a cone over his nose and gentle holding/stroking while he got gas?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

My vet does not give a pre-sedative.

Non of mine have ever jumped, yelped or given any sign of discomfort at the time of PTS. Just the peaceful eye closing as they leave this life behind. My vet came out to my mini van, and we let Rascal go there. Another time we went out in the back yard of our vet office, and our boy Peppy went to sleep there.

I was told no valium, it somehow makes it more difficult for the final injection to take effect.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I just want to add, I'm so very sorry you have to ask these questions and face this event :grouphug

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

I simply have the injection given. I don't do any sedating. I've never understood why they do that. Dogs don't relish having IVs put in either. I haven't had a dog fight or yelp when being PTS.

Misty was the only one I requested the sedative for because she was a wreck just pulling into the parking lot of the vet's office so I wanted her to be as calm and comfortable as possible and I have to say, that helped.

It also gave me time with her, to talk to her and tell her how much I loved her without her shaking like crazy before I had to say that final goodbye

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I haven't had a dog fight or yelp when being PTS.

I have and it was the most horrible experience. He went out fighting it with a huge howl.

Susan, to answer your question, yes they can give Dormitor first. That is what the vet did with Kenny the greyhound mix. He was in so much pain and so agitated he thought it would be best.

With Rex the vet put in an IV first then injected the seditive then the shot. With Axel it was two shots.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

With Polli- she was at home and the vet came here. She was ready. Vet gave her a shot which made her extremely droopy and you could tell she was in la la land.

Then 20 minutes later after we had some time with her, he gave her the final shot. I made the BIG mistake of having my head on her when that was administeded and felt her go into cardiac arrest- it was over.

She did not suffer. I did. That is OK though.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

First off, :grouphug I hesitated coming in here - these are the questions I've been holding off on asking b/c we're not there yet, but I fear it won't be too long so thank you for asking what I couldn't yet.

My vet won't come to my house :( so she suggested giving me some meds that I could give at home to dope her up before I brought her in, but I don't think I'm comfortable with that. I know another vet who works with our rescue who might be willing to come here. She's seen Neyla in her office and at GW picnics so she knows Neyla and she knows me, so at least it wouldn't be a stranger. I don't care about the cost, I just don't want Neyla's last moments to be stressful. Do you have that option?

Even so, it doesn't answer the question about whether or how to sedate. :dunno

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest SusanP

I'm ok with taking Wizard to the vet. He isn't afraid of the vet's office, though he doesn't like being handled much these days. I worry about doing it at home with all the other hounds around. Not sure what I think. I'm kind of frazzled over all this right now.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I prefer having it done at home, but we've got a special house call vet who is literally an angel and makes sure there is NO stress for anyone involved. She does do a pre-sedative shot -- I need to ask her specifically what she uses next time we talk because there is no pain, reaction or stressed.. just a very sleepy dog letting go.

It is such a hard topic.. but I've been through a couple of less than perfect goodbyes, one time with my heart cat... and I think it's really important to be comfortable with it ahead of time as much as you can. Lots of prayers for the right answers.

Guest Paige12

Here's my view. When I finally decided Paige was suffering too much we took her in to our new (at the time) vet. He administered her a shot in her rear leg that put her into complete relaxation. I had never had a vet do that before.(and I have lost a lot of dogs over the years) I thought it was the best thing I had ever seen. Instead of the horrible suddenness of that final injection, we were able to sit on the floor with her and talk to her and love her until we called him to come give her the final shot. I will never, ever have it done any different way. It was very peaceful as opposed to the other way which almost seems like a shock! I am very sorry for what you are going through. My thoughts are with you.

Guest SusanP

the unfortunate thing is that most of us (myself included) don't seem to know which drugs the vets are using. I know all my dogs' home medicines, but I have never been good at learning the ones they give in office, especially at a time like this. If we could compare drugs by name, it would be such a help to us all. From now on, I intend to take note...for the future, because I have 3 other hounds still besides my Wizard.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I'll check with Dr Carol who volunteers for GPA-Nashville what drugs they use to sedate before PTS.

She also is one of the owners at Grassmere Animal Hospital

Such a sad subject but I give you credit for looking into all of this before the time comes :grouphug

I worry about doing it at home with all the other hounds around. Not sure what I think. I'm kind of frazzled over all this right now.

My friend actually chose to do it at home for this reason. She felt it was important for her other dogs to know what had happened. I don't know that I would make my decision based on that theory, I need to make the best decision for Neyla and myself first and foremost, but I admit there is an appeal to the idea that Zuri would understand why she's gone. Do others have thoughts on this - maybe people who have done it both ways and have seen how their other dogs reacted in each case? And what do you actually do with your other dogs - let them roam free or maybe x-pen or gate them nearby, then let them out once it's over to smell?

Sorry, I hope I'm not hijacking too much.

I'm sorry you're feeling so frazzled, I understand although I know that doesn't provide any comfort. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Obviously, none of us know for sure, but I really believe that animals communicate amongst themselves, we're just not privy to their conversations.

I truly believe that the others know, even when we don't let one go at home in their presence.

But everyone's belief system is different

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I have to agree with Claudia. I believe animals have a way of communicating to others.

I will never forget the day I had to take Weenie to the vet. Before walking out the door I said to her sis, Cassie. "Cassie say goodbye to your sis"

Cassie walked up to Weenie, kissed her on the nose and walked away.

Mind you Cassie and Weenie, while they were sisters, never really showed a lot of emotion to each other.

Cassie was always the "big sister" and Weenie the bratty little sis.

I've only had one hound pass at home and that was on his own, no vet. None of the other dogs even acknowledged his passing.

my vet uses an i.v. i have had 4 dogs euthanized by him and it was really peaceful for all. i am always glad to have my vet there to comfort me as well. he wraps them in the blanket i bring and carries them out to the car. emily, my late grey was on pain meds already(oseto) she was given the i.v. in a standing position and went down so gracefully, a peaceful end to a sweet life.we bury all of our dogs in our yard and it's always during the coldest part of the winter.

i think the other dogs know when it's their companion's time. the ill dog is not functioning well, their scent and behavior is altered and they instinctually know their domestic partner is failing. remember animals have far more sense that humans, they just know.

Obviously, none of us know for sure, but I really believe that animals communicate amongst themselves, we're just not privy to their conversations.

I truly believe that the others know, even when we don't let one go at home in their presence.

But everyone's belief system is different

:nod I agree. Kobie and Sheila already knew that Chaka was very very sick. The did seem to know when I came home without her that Saturday afternoon.

This is all so hard and so sad, but I respect you for doing the research beforehand. There should be as little stress as possible, in a dreadfully stressful situation for you and no surprises. Be well.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014