A Euthanasia Question

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Thank you, all of you for your words of comfort and prayers and thoughts. Wizard is at peace now from whatever it was that was making him so miserable. I can't write anything more now.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

{{{{{{{{{{Susan}}}}}}}}}}

Gentlest hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

For the record, I would *never* go with this method of euthanasia again, with an intramuscular injection of sedative. Our vet said placing an IV would stress him because of the restraint required, but the pain of the injection sent him into a panic. There has to be a better way, and I'm not going to let this vet put our other hounds down when the time comes. So I'm still open to discussion about methods, if everyone else is.

I'm so very sorry to read about the loss of Wizzard! It's too late now to reply to your question, but Ivy and Soldi

crossed the bridge totally peacefully and really didn't notice anything. The vet came to my home and gave them

a quick subcutaneous shot of general anesthesia. They fell asleep and after a while he gave them the lethal shot in the

vein.

As Ivy was a very nervous dog who panicked at the simple view of a vet, the vet gave me 2 hours before 3 little pills,

which I gave him and those left him very calm and nearly asleep. Both dogs crossed the bridge at my house (on my bed).

I'm still having a hard time.

Hugs to you,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest SusanP

Marion :grouphug

It isn't too late to reply to my question. Things didn't go as well as I wanted for Wizard, but I have 3 more aging hounds, and I want to get it right for them. I will have a hard time trusting this vet again. So yes, anyone, tell me about *good* euthanasia methods.

I understand why our vet thought restraining Wizard for an IV cath might have been a problem, but the injection into muscle was probably worse. He had become hyper sensitive and extremely reactive when frightened during this illness. I'd like to know what kind of anesthesias can be injected subcutaniously--are they ones likely to produce agitation or ones that send them to sleep pretty quickly?

Those of you who gave oral sedatives before leaving home, what meds were used, and how helpful were they?

I have had 2 other dogs and two rabbits euthanized and was never afraid of the procedure. But I am now.

All I can think to do now is to focus on the future, because the past is unbearable right now.

Edited by SusanP

Susan,

I'll try to get the info from my vet. When I know the details (if he wants to tell me, I hope so)I'll send you

a PM. This vet always does the same procedure...he injects superfast a subcutaneous general anesthesia and when

the hound turns his head back, (he gives the shot in the higher backleg area)to look where that sting comes from, it's

already done and the vet disappears from his sight until the dog is asleep.

I'm sorry that with Wizzard things didn't go like they should have gone. Anyway...now he's free running at the bridge

without pain and fears...

greetings,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Susan I'm so sorry. RIP Wizard :(

I've only had to put two of mine to sleep. Two cats, Jessica and Snuggles and our first dog, Sandy all passed away in our home at night.

When I took our 17 year old mix, Bear, he was sedated and I think 15 or 20 minutes later was the final injection. Marvin was the same but he was sedated for an x-ray, then PTS. Both were very peaceful passings.

I'm so sorry, sendings big hugs for you.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

I too am sorry things didn't go as smoothly as you'd wished :( .

Here, placing the catheter is @ as stressful for the dog as drawing blood -- it's very quick to do and not alarming to most dogs. I've not had one that needed to be restrained. When it isn't feasible to place a catheter, our vets give an IV shot of sedative such as Valium first, then the shot that stops the heart when the owner is ready.

I can imagine how you are feeling today and wish you were closer by so I could give you a hug in person.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss and more so that it didn't go smoothly. Emmy did not have an easy passing but Andy did. I think Emmy was just too stressed at the time. A huge hug.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Susan I'm so sorry Your long journey with your dear Wizard ended not in a way that gave you comfort.

I had a good experience. Jack left me at home in his own bed where he felt most safe. The vet did insert a catheter which was easy. A sedative was given and I cuddled him and talked to him as he fell asleep. Then when I was ready the anesthetic was given and he left. The other two dogs were asleep beside us. I don't know though what sedative was used but would be happy to ask.

Wizard is healthy now and you did everything for him that was possible with all the love in the world.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Susan, I am so so sorry, both for your loss and because even after trying to get answers to make the process as painless as possible, things didn't go as expected. :grouphug

I will be calling hte vet that I hope will come to my home when the time comes and will be asking her these questions. I'll let you know what seh says.

I do have a really morbid question for those of you who have had the vet come to your home. When it's over, obviously teh vet needs to remove the body. What did you do while that happened? Did you stay in teh room, did you go with them outisde, did you leave the room until they were gone?

I've only done this with one animal, my childhood cat who I took to the vet and I made the mistake of trying to pick him up to hold him after it was over. Naturally his body was limp and that is an image/feeling I will never forget so I'm afraid of seeing that again but it doesn't feel right to just leave the room. :dunno I suppose maybe that is somethign I will just know when teh time comes, but I would like to hear what other people have done. Wow, I can't think of a worse thing to talk about. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Greyhound_Mom

When we were forced to put our Daisy to sleep due to Osteo, we were very fortunate and blessed that her vet came to the house. Daisy was in her own bed, doc gave her a little tranq and then injected Beuthanasia. Daisy went to sleep very peacefully. Although it was difficult to let her go, I knew that her Osteo wasn't something that could be fixed. Hope this helps...Susan, I'm so sorry that your situation requires this inquiry...I'll hold you in my prayers.

I do have a really morbid question for those of you who have had the vet come to your home. When it's over, obviously teh vet needs to remove the body. What did you do while that happened? Did you stay in teh room, did you go with them outisde, did you leave the room until they were gone?

My vet brought a stretcher to lift Jackie into the back of my SUV (so I could drive her to be cremated). She could have easily been carried as she was about 50# at the time. But it seemed like a nicer way to carry her. She was covered in a blanket, that she had also laid on when she was euthanized. My vet was excellent in his explanations, and had warned us that some urine or feces may leak out after she had passed.

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Do they ever use gas first with dogs? Either sevo- or iso- flurane? All of my hedgehogs who needed to cross get gas first and then they're completely out when the injection is given. Would Wizard be OK with a cone over his nose and gentle holding/stroking while he got gas?

Jennifer

One of our dogs years ago needed oxygen. We discovered we needed to put him to sleep so they kept the mask on and gave him some gas. He went peacefully; I don't remember if there was a shot or not.

We have had a couple of euthanasia nightmares -- more than yelping -- so anything that would help the final procedure be peaceful is helpful.

I've only done this with one animal, my childhood cat who I took to the vet and I made the mistake of trying to pick him up to hold him after it was over. Naturally his body was limp and that is an image/feeling I will never forget so I'm afraid of seeing that again but it doesn't feel right to just leave the room. :dunno I suppose maybe that is somethign I will just know when teh time comes, but I would like to hear what other people have done. Wow, I can't think of a worse thing to talk about. :(

With Chester, we stayed with him the whole time (did for all 3, I wouldn't dream of not being with them at this time!) as did his best pal, Captain. He passed peacefully, laying on the carpeted family room floor with his head in my lap. The doctor had brought a large sling-type blanket that she used (with Bruce's help) to take Chester out to her car, where she brought him to be cremated and then personally dropped off his ashes a week later.

We had a bad reaction with Remy, the first one we lost a few months prior to Chester (and my first ever pet I had to put down :() -- he freaked out from the sedative, I almost called the whole thing off, it was so bad. :(:cry1 but both the others were fine. I know Rainey has a bad reaction to sedatives so I don't know what we'll do when the time comes :( :(

to Susan -- sending you more hugs....I know Wizard is now at peace. :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Susan, I am so so sorry, both for your loss and because even after trying to get answers to make the process as painless as possible, things didn't go as expected. grouphug.gif

I will be calling hte vet that I hope will come to my home when the time comes and will be asking her these questions. I'll let you know what seh says.

I've only done this with one animal, my childhood cat who I took to the vet and I made the mistake of trying to pick him up to hold him after it was over. Naturally his body was limp and that is an image/feeling I will never forget so I'm afraid of seeing that again but it doesn't feel right to just leave the room. dunno.gif I suppose maybe that is somethign I will just know when teh time comes, but I would like to hear what other people have done. Wow, I can't think of a worse thing to talk about. sad.gif

I took the other two dogs and left the room. I knew it would be awkward for them to move Jack and I did not want to see and I felt they would be more comfortable without me hovering. They carried him out on a stretcher and it was not anymore upsetting than it already was.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest LindsaySF

I'm so sorry Susan. :(:(

I have seen euthanasia from both sides, both as the pet owner and as a vet tech. There is no perfect solution, it depends on the animal.

At the vet where I worked, and at my own vet, sedatives are only given to dogs that are aggressive or extremely difficult to handle. It may be stressful or scary to receive the sedative shot, but it's usually far less stressful than struggling to place an IV catheter or trying to find a vein for the euthanasia injection.

Sometimes there are strange reactions to sedatives or even to the actual euthanasia injection, but that usually can't be helped. One of my ferrets had uncontrollable muscle twitching for 10-15 minutes after he was put down. I remember sitting in the room with his body waiting for his whiskers to stop moving. :( He also had what looked like "hiccups" as his abdomen kept twitching. I thought he was still breathing and made the vet check for a heartbeat. I know he was gone and didn't feel any of this, but it was traumatic for me.

I had to put a foster dog (non-Grey) to sleep for extreme aggression issues and the vet gave an intramuscular sedative in the hind leg, they were afraid to handle him otherwise. Once he was sleepy she gave the final shot in the front leg. It was pretty painless and went quickly, but it did bother me a bit that Brutus was "out of it" for so long. I talked to him and gave him treats, and he tried to eat them, but he couldn't. He also fought the sedative and kept swaying back and forth, falling and trying to get up, it was hard to watch. :( But given the alternatives I think it was the best way. He would have freaked out if they tried to muzzle him or hold him down. At least this way he got to go with his head in my lap and he never had to fight to be restrained.

Placing the IV catheter is extremely stressful for some animals. That's why the vet staff takes them into the back to do it, they don't want the owner to be upset by seeing their pet struggling and fighting. For the owner it may be easier, the animal leaves the room, they return with a catheter, and the shot is given easily. But for some animals I think it would be less stressful to be given a sedative or for the vet to search for a vein in the exam room with the owner present.

I helped place many IV catheters in my time and I was glad the owners weren't there to see the struggle. There were some dogs that were really easy to place a catheter, especially dogs like Greyhounds with easy to find veins. Like Batmom said it's about the same as drawing blood, but if your dog freaks out for blood draws chances are they'll freak out for a catheter too, it depends how they are feeling. It's also a sore topic for me because my Shepherd mix Nicki was one of those strugglers when I had to put her down in 2005. :( She was aggressive at the vet but they couldn't muzzle her because she was having difficulty breathing. They didn't want to place a catheter in her front leg because that's where the teeth were, so they tried for at least 15 minutes to place a catheter in one of her hind legs. My aunt and I were in the back room with them while the techs were struggling to do this and Nicki was freaking out, it was absolutely horrible. I was about to freakin give her the injection myself! Finally the vet just gave her the injection in a front leg (what they should have done all along) and Nicki passed quickly. I'll never forgive myself for letting them fight for that stupid catheter, it stressed her unnecessarily.

For small animals it can be extremely difficult to find a vein. The easiest way to euthanize a small animal is often a direct injection to the heart, but understandably that is very traumatic for most owners to witness. They usually take small animals into the back and use a sedative to calm them, then place an IV catheter. When I had to put my ferrets to sleep they used gas in the back to make them sleepy, then placed the catheter. They brought them back into the room and did the injection into the catheter. Both of my ferrets liked being handled and weren't afraid of the vet, so I didn't really worry about them going in back.

Anyway, my point in all this is that it depends on the dog. For some dogs a sedative is better than being restrained for an IV catheter. For dogs that are fine with blood draws and don't mind going into the back without their owner, they will probably be fine getting a catheter and that might be the way to go.

~Lindsay~