A Euthanasia Question

Guest SusanP

Guest zoolaine

I am trying to prepare myself for Sunny going to the bridge in the next few weeks. :cry1 I think I want to do it here at home. One, so Briley and Luna (Sunny's littermates) can be there (I will send the greyhounds either over to a friends house or put them in the bedroom and let them come out after). ANd two I like the thought of Sunny's spirit floating around here - although I know if we did it at the vet his spirit would come home with us. This is going to be very hard.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyandSioux

When I was in the clinic we used morphine as a pre sedative. They will know you are there but they care about their enviroment. Always have a IV placed. It is so much easier to hit the sick greys veins with. Some of these medications sting and can be diluted. I have been in a clinic for so long you can send me any private message about this and I will answer it as honestly as I can. Your vet should be able to answer your questions and if they don't then you need to go somewhere they are willing to answer them. This is a time of caring and compassion for the family and the animal. They should also give you options for body care that includes cremation, clinic disposal or home burial.

When I was in the clinic we used morphine as a pre sedative.

I find this odd. When my old vet gave Rex moraphine for his spine he asked "Is it going to bother you to watch him throw up or should I take him in the back?" Throw up he did. I really don't think I'd want to make my soon to be bridge kid vomit at the end. :dunno The moriphine was just horrible all around for Rex and he fought it all night long.
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

I agree about the morphine; about 75% of the dogs we used it on as a pre-anesthetic med did indeed vomit (so common of an occurence that they always took the dogs who got morphine as a pre-med out to the outdoor kennel runs to let them vomit if they were going to.)

From what I have seen, the usual protocol for owner-present euthanasias is to take the patient to the back and place an IV catheter. The clinic I interned at always did it this way. Then the pet was returned to the owners in the room, where the doctor administered the euthanasia drug. Most animals were not pre-sedated. For me, this would not work so well; I would want to be present for the IV placement and anything else leading up to the procedure, but I do realize why they typically do it that way.

In pets who are quite debilitated, dehydrated, already in pain, etc... hitting a vein on the first try can be dicey and so the catheter is usually done in the back where there is less distraction from distraught owners, etc... I know for cats in particular it can be tough. But since we are talking greyhounds here, and they have some of the easiest veins to find, I would suppose that part could be done in the room with you if you wanted, and the doctor was willing. I know that it's also a good idea to get your final arrangements such as cremation, etc... done and paid for in advance because it will save you the distress of having to deal with it after.

I have given some thought to how I want things to be done with Frank when his time comes. I know my vet has a nice, grassy lawn under a shade tree and I have seen some folks spending the final minutes with their pet there, and the vet coming out. Frank would probably like that better than the vet coming into his house. I probably won't do any pre-anesthetic drugs, because once it is time, I will want him to only have to put up with one procedure to place the IV cath. After that, nothing will hurt and it will go quickly. I want all of us there; me, Gene, and my DD and there WILL be ice cream. Thinking about it now, and being so calm as I think thru how I want things to go, I know will go out the window when that time finally does come. In fact tears are already welling up so I think I am done here...

Whatever you and your vet decide, make sure to talk thru the whole scenario with the vet and also whatever techs will be assisting, to make sure you know what is coming and that it will be done the way you want. I am sorry that this is happening to you guys... :grouphug:(

Guest SusanP

Thanks, everyone. We'll see what today brings.

ETA: That's my precious Wizard in the photo at left. In happier days.

Edited by SusanP

Hoping that things start to turn around and you don't need any of this info for a long time coming.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

I am trying to prepare myself for Sunny going to the bridge in the next few weeks. :cry1 I think I want to do it here at home. One, so Briley and Luna (Sunny's littermates) can be there (I will send the greyhounds either over to a friends house or put them in the bedroom and let them come out after). ANd two I like the thought of Sunny's spirit floating around here - although I know if we did it at the vet his spirit would come home with us. This is going to be very hard.

Zoolaine, :grouphug

We have an appt with the vet for 4:30 this afternoon. Wizard has not eaten more than a tidbit now and then in over 24 hours. He was up pacing in the night and again this morning. He did get to enjoy a walk up the street with the other dogs, slowly--he seldom goes with them anymore, but he was already up and pacing, so he decided to, and I'm so glad. It has been one of the last things that seems to bring him any pleasure at all. I was at the dentist this morning (and had to keep mopping my eyes and blowing my nose during the cleaning) and when I came home, he opened his eyes, so I went to pet him, and he went right back to sleep. I don't want to wait til he's clearly suffering. The kids have agreed that it's time and know it will be today or tomorrow--couldn't tell them today for sure because DS has finals and said he couldn't do it knowing, so we'll let them know right after school and then go. I still half don't believe this is really happening. I love Wizard so much.

We have an appt with the vet for 4:30 this afternoon. Wizard has not eaten more than a tidbit now and then in over 24 hours. He was up pacing in the night and again this morning. He did get to enjoy a walk up the street with the other dogs, slowly--he seldom goes with them anymore, but he was already up and pacing, so he decided to, and I'm so glad. It has been one of the last things that seems to bring him any pleasure at all. I was at the dentist this morning (and had to keep mopping my eyes and blowing my nose during the cleaning) and when I came home, he opened his eyes, so I went to pet him, and he went right back to sleep. I don't want to wait til he's clearly suffering. The kids have agreed that it's time and know it will be today or tomorrow--couldn't tell them today for sure because DS has finals and said he couldn't do it knowing, so we'll let them know right after school and then go. I still half don't believe this is really happening. I love Wizard so much.

I'll be thinking of Wizard this afternoon and sending prayers for a peaceful passing. He knows how much you love him.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

:(

My heart and thoughts are with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. :weep

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh, sweetie, he does sound ready; but we never really are. My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

:grouphug

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest Paige12

Thoughts and prayers with you all day and especially tonight when the lights go out. That seemed to always be my hardest time. You are doing the right thing. It just sucks that it hurts so much. One of our clients who is a huge dog person, told me - "having a dog, it's the greatest joy and the deepest pain"

I am so very sorry and my heart is breaking with yours right now. I wish for a gentle and peaceful transition for everyone. Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

the unfortunate thing is that most of us (myself included) don't seem to know which drugs the vets are using. I know all my dogs' home medicines, but I have never been good at learning the ones they give in office, especially at a time like this. If we could compare drugs by name, it would be such a help to us all. From now on, I intend to take note...for the future, because I have 3 other hounds still besides my Wizard.

Susan, I think? you're in the Chicagoland area -- if so, we used a vet that came to the house to send our Chester to the bridge. It was more expensive than doing it at the vets but worth every penny. PM me if you want her name :(

I'm so very sorry you're going through this :( :(

ETA I didn't read all the way down to see your post about today :( :( :( sending many hugs to you and Wizard.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest SusanP

Susan, I think? you're in the Chicagoland area -- if so, we used a vet that came to the house to send our Chester to the bridge. It was more expensive than doing it at the vets but worth every penny. PM me if you want her name :(

I'm so very sorry you're going through this :( :(

ETA I didn't read all the way down to see your post about today :( :( :( sending many hugs to you and Wizard.

No, though I'm from the Chicago area originally, I'm in IA now. I have QCGA connections, though, which may be what you're thinking.

Thanks to you and everyone for comforting thoughts.

Edited by SusanP