Ollie Had To Go To The Vet

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

When it rains, it pours...

My poor little Oopie granddog had to go to the vet today. She's been out of sorts since last week--mostly just lethargic, but definitely not herself. I noticed it after her vet visit last Tuesday when she got her shots. My husband and son get up every morning at 5:30; I do not, and Ollie does not. So....Ollie gets out of Seth's bed when he gets up and comes straight to my room where she jumps up to wake me to lift into bed with me. Two mornings last week, I woke up to find her sleeping instead on Wilbur's blanket beside the bed--she didn't jump up to wake me. Very, very out of character for her.

Peanut visited Thursday & Friday, and Ollie was more herself, playing with Peanut. However, as soon as Peanut left on Friday, Ollie crashed into an almost zombie state. No playing, no jumping, no curious Ollie behavior. I was afraid maybe she injured her back playing with Peanut, but we couldn't find any sore spots on her. It was obvious though, that she didn't feel good. She didn't want to snuggle close to anyone like she usually does, and other little things that just said, "Something is off." We even considered the possibility that she missed Peanut and would like a more playful companion. Well, she wasn't better today, so we went back to the vet.

It only took a few minutes to find severe tenderness in Ollie's right shoulder. Poor Ollie just cried and cried on the table, and I thought Seth was going to cry too. The vet feels confident it isn't fractured and put her on an anti-inflammatory and complete bed rest for a week. No unleashed potty breaks, no playing, no furniture. She considered xrays but said Ollie would have to be sedated in order to stretch the shoulder out to get a good xray. If it's not better in a week, we'll do xrays.

I don't have reason to worry, do I? Ollie is a dachshund, not a greyhound. They're prone to back and neck problems, and there was no evidence of pain in either of those areas. This is just an injury, probably occurred early last week and was aggravated when she played with Peanut. Right?

We did discuss Ollie's weight problem a little bit more today and made a plan for her diet. The vet wants to see her lose 7 lbs; that's 28% of her body weight--a massive amount. How she got this big, I honestly don't know. She eats the least and is the most active, and we do limit the treats. We discussed thyroid issues, but the vet wants to give her three months to try to lose some weight before we test for thyroid issues. She said Ollie is really much too young for a thyroid issue to jump immediately to mind, although stranger things have happened.

So, if you have some more good thoughts to spare for our little Oopster, I would appreciate it. Good thoughts that her shoulder will heal, and good thoughts that we can get some of this yucky weight off her. And we need the shoulder to heal so she can exercise more to help get this weight off.

IMG_3880.jpg

Good thoughts for Ollie. Unfortunately Dachshund are prone to these types of injuries as you know. I am sure Ollie will be fine, he just needs some rest.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Adrianne

bighug.gifkiss1.gif What kind of diet did the vet suggest? I have seen R\D diet work. Science diet. They still get lots to eat.

She suggested the R/D diet, and she also suggested adding green beans as a filler. Of course, I already got that last bit of advice here. The folks here at GT are so smart.

Guest LindsaySF

The green beans (and other canned vegetables) have really helped Sophie. Her meds make her hungry and she would be 100 lbs by now if it weren't for veggie fillers. Hopefully Ollie's injury is minor and heals with some bed rest, and once the weight comes down. Good luck!

We had a mini dachshund who was built the same as Ollie. Heidi ran around the yard, house, etc. 99% of her day like a total fool. Full out running after her ball. And, she was the stoutest dachshund I've ever seen. That dog got more exercise than most dogs and was always a chunkster. Never found anything wrong with her and she lived to a good old age. She also could have cared less about food. She ate the bare minimum she needed to survive.

So, it may not be that Ollie is eating too much. Maybe just her body type?

I'm sure Ollie will have a quick recovery. They're tough little hounds. Heidi once pulled her front leg out of the socket while playing ball and still wanted us to keep throwing it! She was pretty sure she could keep playing on 3 legs.

Feel better soon Ollie!!

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I hope beautiful Ollie feels better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest mcsheltie

I had to read your post three times. Every time I got to her picture I forgot what I had just read. OMG..what a face!!!

Best wished and good thoughts for beautiful Ollie.

I've had dachshunds all my life and have one now plus foster many. yes, they are VERY prone to back injuries. I'm sure with rest Ollie will be fine. Please don't be offended but Ollie really really needs to lose the weight. and yes, some dachshunds are built heavier but this is truly not healthy. I know it's hard but it will be so much easier on joints and everything. Give veggies or even some fruit for snacks. remember they are tiny...not much food is required. and like I said don't be offended by my post. It seems many dachshunds are overweight but it's truly not good for them.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest Adrianne

I've had dachshunds all my life and have one now plus foster many. yes, they are VERY prone to back injuries. I'm sure with rest Ollie will be fine. Please don't be offended but Ollie really really needs to lose the weight. and yes, some dachshunds are built heavier but this is truly not healthy. I know it's hard but it will be so much easier on joints and everything. Give veggies or even some fruit for snacks. remember they are tiny...not much food is required. and like I said don't be offended by my post. It seems many dachshunds are overweight but it's truly not good for them.

Oh, I'm not offended....I know she's a little fattie. I've been telling my son for some time that she's got to lose this weight or she'll suffer because of it in the future. I've let it go too long; I've been wrapped up with first Wilbur & then Larry, and I guess I expected him to take some initiative. I'd never let one of the greyhounds get in this shape, and I'm ashamed that I've let this go. She's definitely built thicker though, through the chest than other dachshunds I've been around.

This is going to be an interesting journey with her. I think I'll keep a photo diary of her progress.

we had a doxie for 18 years. just cut back her food and give her green beans and carrots as snacks that way she won't feel hungry all the time. When she is able again walk her daily at least 20 minutes. Prayers for a speedy recovery. ours never had back issues but did have knee issues with the ball socket that wouldnt stay in place. the vet taught me how to put it back into place so i wouldnt get charged every time it happened. Did they give Ollie something for the pain? My doxie use to take 1/4 baby asprin for pain.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

{{{{{{{{{{Ollie}}}}}}}}}}

Be well, little one.

:wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Adrianne

Thank you everyone. She had a very quiet night, and I don't think it's going to be much problem keeping her quiet this week. She doesn't want to do anything but lie around. The vet has her on 12.5 mg of Deramaxx twice a day, and she's a very good girl about taking her pill.

Guest Energy11

Poor cute little Ollie!

Curfew says to send her his love, and so do Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari, and me, too!

My little fifteen year old Dexter had been on prednisone from time to time due to back issues. He always gained weight then, I swear he gained from eating fuzzies off the floor. Takes me forever to get his weight down. Currently he needs to lose one pound and he is so much slower these days that exercise is not as much an option to help him. He is receiving less than one fourth cup twice daily of Kirkland. He gained weight when I was away for prolonged periods and my nephew thought that one fourth cup just did not look like enough!angryfire.gif

I have ramps and steps throughout the house to keep him from jumping anymore. The two greys are comical with him. I taught them to be very cautious around him. Bankroft, nine, acts very respectful, carefully positioning herself on the sofa to avoid him, gently nosing him to "check" on him. Millie, on the other hand, has been banned from Dexter's sofa as she takes his spot or steps on him. Problems can occur when all four dogs,(two greys and two mini dachsies) are all excited. I sometimes must scoop up Dexter to protect him. I have seen him outside doing a roll when one of the greys ran past and knocked him over. Dexter also had a torn cruciate ligament repaired in the past. He seems a bit more fragile than his son, who seems to be tougher and sturdier. Greyhounds and dachshunds are an interesting mix in the house, aren't they?

good luck, and how is Larry doing?

sue

I had to read your post three times. Every time I got to her picture I forgot what I had just read. OMG..what a face!!!

Same here.

Have you considered that it may very well have been the shots, I am assuming vaccinations, that she got that may be the cause of her problem. I'm sure the vet wouldn't mention this because they don't want anyone questioning whether or not repeated vaccinations are necessary of if they do harm.

Hoping pretty little Ollie feels better each day..........:wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sending good thoughts for Miss Ollie kiss1.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.