Lucky, An Update

I posted about a week ago about Lucky, my newest addition (December) who had been off his food for several days and was drinking a lot of water.

I took him in to his original vet, who had been seeing him at the track for 8+ years, and we sent out a blood panel, but I really didn't get any answers there. He isn't and wasn't blocked, though. She put him on pred to give him an appetite and sent us on our way. Not happy with what seemed to me like a discounting of symptoms, I went to my regular vet, who wanted me to wean him off pred and treat for a UTI and as if it were a liver infection.

The peeing a river has subsided, but he's not doing well. He has dropped 12+ pounds in about 10 days. Now that he's off the pred, even with another appetite stimulant, he's only eating a limited menu, if at all. Last night, he ate about a quarter cup of canned food, a half cup of egg noodles, and 6 roasted chicken tenders (1/2 lb?). Wouldn't eat anything else, and now has had the runs this morning.

He looks awful. He's not happy. I'm getting an ultrasound done today: could you please think some good thoughts for us? This is not the happy ending he deserves.

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Sending lots of prayers Meri. :candle:hope

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

candle.gifhope.gif for Lucky

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:goodluck for Lucky.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I really need to figure out how to edit on the new board...

I've made a very hard decision this morning, after watching Lucky's behavior. The ultrasound will not tell me anything I didn't already know. He threw up bile this morning, is refusing all food, pants when he stands, and his poo was dark and mucousy.

It's time. It's not just an infection. I have an unhappy dog who is in pain, one who has never understood why he had to leave his kennel home of 9+ years. (He was a track kennel pet and so terribly confused by the track closing...) I am 100% certain that whatever is going on inside Lucky, I cannot make him better, no matter what heroics I try. He can't even enjoy a favorite treat or the beautiful weather outside. I am not shoving any more pills down his throat. It's time for me to be kind, and strong, and brave, because this dog was all of those things, but he can't be anymore...

Three in 6 months. <sigh>

Edited by RhodyGreys

Meri & the Dorg
with Little Lee from Eetaly (Raider Retire), Freya FooFoo (Writers Block), Brodie (never raced), and "foster" JJ (Rossmore Judith). Missing Bravo, Chickie, Nico, Meri Carol, Lucky II, Ringo, Mylie, Bull, Geordie, Shae-Leigh, Stretch, Dustin, Cooper, Lucky, and Heidi.

Guest Energy11

I am sooo sorry to hear this, but it does sound like you are doing the right thing. Poor guy ... he seems so unhappy and in pain. Three in three months is wayyy tooo many.

Sending love, hugs and prayers to you, Lucky, and the family.

Dee and The Five

Sending you hugs and prayers today. Please take strength in knowing that you are doing the kindest thing that you can do for your friend. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

This is just so sad, but because you care so much whatever you decide will be doing the right thing.

You've also described (what to me sounds like) the symptoms of end-stage CRF and even if you made him like a pincushion with sub-Q fluids I don't think there would be a cure. One of my Borzois went very quickly like that between ages 5-6.

I am so very sorry. I applaud your strength to put his needs ahead of your own. My thoughts are with you while you travel this road, again, and way too soon.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest MyBoys

I am so very sorry, I also give you so much credit for making such an unselfish decision. You know this poor boy is just not getting better and you love him enough to let him go peacefully and with the dignity he so deserves, thank you for that. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.