Wilbur - My Tribute

Guest Adrianne

Guest Adrianne

My Wilbur,

A wisp of a cool breeze on a sweltering summer day--that's how you made me feel.

You weren't just my dog. You were my friend, my companion, my comfort, my joy, and my love. Like the last rays of a warm gentle sunset as it dips below the horizon and ushers in the stillness of dusk and the darkness of night, you slipped away...beyond my sight and out of my reach. Oh how I miss you! How I will forever miss you!

I hope I gave to your life even a fraction of what you brought to mine.

I am heartbroken here without you.

Mom

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice, encouragement, support, and love. Wilbur fought so hard until the very end.

I've thought about what I want you to know about him, but I could write an entire book and it would still be woefully inadequate. He was a sweet sensitive soul. If ever I was hurting or crying, he would lean his body against mine and not leave me until I felt better. It upset him terribly to see me upset, and he would do everything he could to comfort me. The night before Macy passed away, I slept on the living room floor to be near her in case she needed me. Wilbur scooted over next to me and slept right up against me. Sometime in the night, I moved to the other side of the living room because he had crowded me, and I couldn't even turn over. Within a couple of minutes, he moved to the other side of the living room and pressed up against me again. I think he wanted to be near me in case I needed him. He seemed indifferent to the other animals in the house, but he was like a magnet to them and all small animals. They all wanted to be near him and would sneak over to cuddle with him. I think they could sense his gentle heart.

I loved him from the moment I laid eyes on him. I picked him out from a photo; something about him spoke very strongly to me. My husband kept saying, "He's so big. That's too big. We should look at a different one." But I kept coming back to Wilbur's photo. It wasn't a great photo, just a snapshot from the kennel, but I was drawn to him. My husband has told me many, many times what a good job I did picking out our boy.

I am so, so grateful for Wilbur's day last Friday. He deserved only good things in his life, and Friday was a great day for him.

There's no way I can pick just one photo of my sweetie, so I'm posting Wilbur's slideshow here again. Wilbur's Tribute

If you can't see it there, I also have it on YouTube here although the quality isn't as good

Thank you so much. I joined GreyTalk in November looking for information on arthritis, and you have all helped me through the most difficult time of my life. Thank you for loving my Wilbur.

Adrianne

Edited by Adrianne

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely tribute for such a sensitive, loving, special boy. You were blessed to have each other. I'm sure he was greytful for the life you gave him. May you find peace in knowing that. Hugs to you. Run free Sweet, Sweet, Handsome Wilbur. I will miss you. :f_red

Guest Energy11

flowers_red.gifrungrey.gif What an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL, heartfelt tribute to you boy! It made me cry. You could feel, in every single word, how much you loved him, and he, you!

My heart aches for you, because I know what this feels like all too well ...

Just sending you all the love, hugs, understand and encouragement I can, Dee, ... Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee, and Cari, too. I know, Wilbur met My Bob, Energy, Dasher and Max, when he crossed The Bridge.

:grouphug That was beautiful.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

That really was beautiful.The bond you had with your boy was one of the strongest this world has to offer.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you embark on your journey. He's always with you.

God speed to you handsome Wilbur, you surely know how very much you are loved and will be greatly missed by us all.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am so moved. Beautiful tribute for a beautiful soul. I am so very sorry for your loss. Wilbur, send your mom a sign.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Adrianne, your tribute makes it entirely clear why Wilbur was -- is -- beyond special. A book doubtless would be needed to cover him, as you said, but the pictures went a long way in that direction. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. :grouphug:gh_lay:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Adrianne, your beautiful tribute has eloquently captured Wilbur's spirit of love and sweetness. In the You Tube Tribute Wilbur looked so joyful and happy - he always seemed to be smiling. You truly gave him a wonderful home filled with love and contentment. I wish you comfort for the heartache you are feeling. He was a truly special boy.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Beautiful, Adrianne. Thank you for sharing your special boy with us. Wilbur was the best. Hugs to you. Jan

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

A gentle, beautiful tribute to a wonderfully gentle and beautiful soul. Your love for him has shown through every word you've written about him and I'm sure he knew how much he was loved.

Godspeed Wilbur, may you run free at the Bridge, you were loved and will be missed forever. :f_red

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Guest jade1046

Just beautiful .... I know how hard you both tried to pull Wilbur through and I'm so very sorry he had to leave. Godspeed beloved boy - go find Felicia and run with her. :gh_run2:f_red

I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome Wilbur. I feel like I gotten to know you and Wilbur so well over the past few weeks. We will all miss him and mourn his loss with you.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest dobiegrey

What a beautiful Tribute to a Beautiful Dog, may you rest in the Knowledge that you gave him a joyful life. I feel like I knew him these last few weeks and my heart breaks for you.

Lou

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 You wrote a lovely tribute to a very special boy.

Godspeed Wilbur.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My heart is broken for you. I followed your path with Wilbur and was so hoping for a

better outcome. He sounds like he was a very special friend. I'm so sorry for your loss.

:f_red:gh_run2:f_red

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

What a beautiful tribute to a very much loved boy. Those pictures were worth a thousand words. He was so gentle and so happy. He had a great life and you couldn't have done more for him. Run free sweet Wilbur.