I Don't Post Often, But Gracie Needs Many Prayers Right Now

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are hopefully getting Gracie in for a consult with a neurologist at the UW Vet hospital today. I am hoping to go visit her this morning.

Thank you for all the thoughts and prayers.

Edited by Graciehound

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Prayers going up for sweet sweet Gracie. :hope

I remember when Ivy needed the expensive chemo treatments etc. I just made up my mind that if I had to make payments the rest of my life I would- I knew that she would do no less for me. It is years later now and the expense is now irrelevant but knowing I went "all the way" with her is priceless.

:getwell

Poor Gracie and you, I am praying & hoping the neurologist has some answers, I have been down this road and the MRI/Spinal were worth every penny to learn the diagnosis & treat quickly.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Your beautiful girl! :wub:

You've gotten such useful experience here, both health and financial, but I love what MP_the4pack (trying to remember your screen name - did I get it right? :P ) said about letting us worry, so you can concentrate on loving your girl.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Gracie Update: 06/18 ~ 6 pm

Gracie is now at the UWVMTH. We transferred her there this afternoon. When she arrived, there was concern that her RBC and platelets were decreasing and she showed abdominal pain upon palpation. We met with the vet and the med student and reviewed her history and presentation. Chief concerns were her loss of blood cells (why and where), her abdominal presentation, and neurological deficits. We decided to go ahead with more blood work and an additional round of abdominal x-rays. The vet called around 6 with the results. Her platelets are still below normal, but improved from what they previously were. There is also indication that her body is trying to make more platelets as there were immature platelets present. Her RBC were back in the normal range. The chemistry panel looked okay with one exception. Her creatine ck level was up, which indicates muscle damage. Not uncommon with an animal that suffered hyperthermia as she did. The abdominal x-rays look good except one weird view. She said that the downside of x-rays is that the positioning can make it look like something is there that really isn't. We're following up on that tomorrow morning with an abdominal ultrasound. The neurologist was going to look at her before leaving today to do a baseline eval and recommendation for pheonbarbital levels. We are scheduled for an MRI tomorrow in case we decide to go that route. Thankfully she seems to be stable enough right now to consider sedation for further evaluation.

As of right now, we're looking at several possible causes for the status ellipiticus (prolonged severe seizure) she experienced on Tuesday night: 1 - brain tumor, 2 - CVA (stroke), 3 - epilepisy. We've somewhat ruled out metabolic cause based on blood work, and have not completely ruled out but not likely that she has inflammation/infection of the brain (such as meningitis).

She is showing pronounced neurological deficits right now: lack of motor control, severe head tilt, protruding left eye, lack of menacing reflex, some blindness. We don't know if these are a result of the severe seizure, hyperthermia, post-ictal phase, phenobarbital loading, sedative drugs, brain damage, or if they are signs of the initial cause of the seizure.

We have some signs of improvement. She recognizes and responds to our voices and our touch, more so than from others. She perked her ears and twitched her eyes at the words "SQUIRREL" and "BUNBUN" today. These things indicate to us that she still has higher level function in her brain if she can recognize and respond. She did try to get up on her front legs today, but wasn't able to hold it. Later in the afternoon, she did try to stand in her cage. Again, unsuccessful, but a good sign. She shows interest in food when presented right in her face. Her chewing is not normal, but she did inhale food earlier today.

So, for now, we're waiting to see how tonight goes and how her abdominal u/s goes tomorrow. We most likely will proceed with the MRI so that we can make an informed decision about her prognosis and quality of life. Please say a prayer for my little fighter. She's still got her spunk!

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Lots of prayers for your best girlie, and lots of hugs for yourself. Hoping tomorrow brings good test results and improvement. I can imagine how worried you and your DH must be.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending more prayers from PA for your precious girl.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Sending more prayers for Gracie. I know how hard this must be for you. Gracie really does sound like a fighter. Come on beautiful girl - hang in there!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest vahoundlover
Lots of prayers for your best girlie, and lots of hugs for yourself. Hoping tomorrow brings good test results and improvement. I can imagine how worried you and your DH must be.

:candle:hope:candle:hope