I Don't Post Often, But Gracie Needs Many Prayers Right Now

My goodness, she's a fighter isn't she! Prayers for some positive news today.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very best wishes for you & Gracie. :grouphug:hope:getwell

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest VelvetEars

I'm just now seeing this, and it sounds almost exactly like what my janey went through.

Talk to them about hydralazine -- sometimes high blood pressure can be one of culprits. We saw marked improvement in Jane when she was on it. I can go get her old meds out and see what else they had her on - and dosages - if that will help. I'm PMing you my # if you want to talk more offline. ....after reading the old thread, it was clindamycin, pred, and low-dose aspirin therapy.

Jane had a stroke - may have had a seizure before but no one was home so we don't know. She went downhill very fast. Blindness/deafness, fever, no muscle control, was knuckling under, etc. After a few days at the vet here, I moved her to Mizzou's vet school (University of Missouri - Columbia). Did the MRI, the spinal tap, the ultrasounds.... All they could discover was that she had a lesion in her brain. Blood work later came back for a rare protozoan (neospora), but they have no idea if it was connected or not to what happened. We did get her back home and I rehabbed her myself. Got her back to about 85% of what she'd been before.

When I lost her 8 mo post-stroke, it was due to a bowel obstruction unrelated to the previous events.

Edited by VelvetEars

Guest Vinnie

Sending out many prayers from our crew here. I hope that they are able to get her stabilized and comfortable. Hugs to you as well and of course scritches for the beautiful Gracie.

Gracie update: 06/19 ~ 11 AM

I spoke with the vet this morning around 8:30 and again at 11. Her night was pretty good. No seizures, which means her last seizure was Wednesday morning around 1:30 am. She was trying to get up and re-position herself as she often would at home. When trying to do this, she would actually roll back in her crate. She appeared to get more anxious as she tried more and more and was unsuccessful, so they gave her a sedative to calm her down and let her rest. Overnight she was offered food and water, and ate and drank/ate both times it was offered.

The vet said she looks brighter this morning and is more aware of her surroundings. Her neuro exam is about the same. She still has no menacing response, but her left eye no longer appears to be protruding. Her lab values continue to look normal. She wasn't eliciting abdominal pain this morning when palpated.

She had the abdominal ultrasound this morning. Her liver and kidneys look fine. Her spleen did seem to be enlarged and the texture was overall normal (smooth) but there were a few rough areas. The vet contributes the size and texture areas to 1- greyhounds having a slightly enlarged spleen compared to other breeds, and 2- all of the medications she has been on in the last 3 days. They did take an aspirated sample, but the impression is that it is all drug induced, not disease. There was a small amount of free fluid in her abdomen. They did sample that as well, and were only able to get about 1 mL. Very limited amount of fluid present. It was clear, not bloody. Her impression is that it is related to the seizure as the organs can "leak" after such a severe seizure (status ellipicticus). There was no evidence of an abdominal bleed present. Her left adrenal gland was large. There were two things that this could indicate (including Cushings disease), however she doesn't have any clinical presentation of either of those items.

She is in for her MRI this afternoon. From the MRI, we could learn if her seizures were caused by: 1- CVA (cerebral vascular accident) such as a stroke, 2- brain tumor, 3- infection/inflammation such as meningitis. If none of those are present, then we consider her seizures as idiopathic, and treat for epilepsy. She may be transferred out of critical care today, pending the results of the MRI. We asked if we could come visit Gracie today, but most likely won't be able to. Dr. Thomovsky said that she will try to make it work, but not to count on it. That way if we are able to, it will be a nice surprise. She promised me she would give Gracie a few smooches and ear scritches from me. I will try to continue to update you with her results and progress.

A huge THANK YOU to Kali (a greyhound friend who works as an anesthesia vet tech for UWVMTH) for spending some time with my girl yesterday. She spent about 30 minutes with her and was with her during a fire alarm. I'm sure Gracie is confused and scared, and having someone love on her helped to keep her calm. Gracie needs that calm right now to help her heal. In addition, Kali sent me a PM to let me know that if she had the MRI, Kali will be the one working with her. Gracie is in greyt hands! Thanks, Kali!

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Glad she's doing better and that Kali is there for her! Hope you get to see her today. :bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

To be honest, of everything mentioned I would pray that it just be epilepsy. She can live a long, normal life with epilepsy. I've been watching this thread so closely and praying for your sweet girl. I hope the MRI gives you an idea of what's going on.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee