I Don't Post Often, But Gracie Needs Many Prayers Right Now

Lisa, what greyt news about Gracie. :yay One step at a time. Do you have anybody that can come over several times a day and help you get her outside? I know what it's like to try to help and 60 lb hound in and out when they aren't too ambulatory. My thoughts and prayers will be with you all.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GentleHugs

I've been following Gracie's health problems from the beginning. Faith, prayer and patience is needed when a hound is faced with a neurological deficit caused by a stroke. Sometimes it can take months for them to get back to a point to where they are able to do the things they used to like stand, walk and maybe trot a little. They might have a few setbacks in recovery now and then which undoubtedly brings hope down a little but you have to keep trying for Gracie's sake. You've gone this far - keep up the good work. Water therapy can help as well. It strengthens the muscles and helps re-train the brain function for motor skills again. The water provides the resistance needed without causing pain to the dog. There are special slings out there to help you balance and give Gracie some support until she is able to completely stand on her own without leaning on something.

Good luck when you bring her home today. I'm sure she will feel better once she is back home in a more familiar environment. She's showing remarkable improvement.

:bighug

Guest daberle

If anyone can get Gracie on the road to recovery its Matt and Lisa,

Lisa has the patience of a saint.

I'm sure Miss Grace Ella Hounddog will much improve once she gets home.

You may find once she's home, where she's comfortable she may recover more quickly. Prayers for Gracie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Gracie came home on Thursday afternoon. It's been a rough couple of days. I was prepared for all of the assistance she would need, but I wasn't prepared for the level of anxiety she is showing. We needed to give her a sedative yesterday afternoon, and it completely knocked her out. We gave her half of that dose about an hour ago, and it looks like it is finally starting to kick in.

My heart is breaking, and I honestly don't know how to do this. I feel like I am falling apart. Between not having a good night's sleep in almost 2 weeks, and having over 12 pounds in the last week or so, I feel completely depleted. I can't eat, I can't sleep, my nerves are shot. My son has been very patient - he took a 4 hour nap yesterday afternoon. My parents are here through this afternoon. By then my husband will be awake. He doesn't work until next Saturday, so hopefully the two of us can handle getting in a routine over the next couple of days.

Please continue to keep Gracie in your thoughts and prayers. I need her to continue to improve and show me that she is willing to fight the good fight.

Lisa, Matt, Travis, and Kathryn

Furkids: Gracie (Styled Princess) and felines Tilly and Nike

SignatureGreytalk.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

I'm so sorry for the rough time you are going through, praying for her to continue to recover. While Henry was not as severe as a case, I do remember what it was like in those high anxiety days of his following his cluster. He was like a baby duckling. He got lost (yes, in the house) easy, and would cry until I came and got him. Calling hm only made him cry louder, I had to actually go to his side so he could find me. I couldnt get much done in those days. It was a lot like having a newborn baby again. The only way we could get sleep, was if Henry could sleep right in our bed, in between me and Tony. As he got better, he gravitated towards the foot of the bed, and then one day decided he was well enough to go back to sleeping with his fur brother on the dog beds on the floor. It may take awhile, but I am sure Gracie will continue to improve. Remember, it can take a month of gradual improvement. Meanwhile, try not to worry about chores that do not absolutely have to be done.

:grouphug

I feel for you - stress and fatigue are a tough combination. Hang on to the fact that these are early days and things will get better. It may happen gradually, or in spurts. Gracie does not understand what has happened to her and is probably stressed too. Hopefully she'll settle down soon, as she gets to know whatever new routines you are establishing with her.

We are all here for you - post or PM whenever you feel like it.

Lots of prayers for Gracie. Hopefully she will start to improve in the next couple of days.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lots of prayers. I can imagine how tired and worried and frustrated you must be.

Email greytdecals if you get a chance. I know she was very worried about Alan -- IIRC he seemed to hit a plateau early in his incident ... and then he got enormously better!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Lisa! :( :( :(

I can't even imagine how hard this on you, all of you! :sad1 :sad1

I pray all the time for your little Princess :hope :hope :hope :hope I'll pray even harder for her!!!!!! :hope:candle:hope She just HAS to get better!!!! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway