Fiona & Racoon Attack

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wickedliz

Oh my goodness! I had no idea a racoon would attack like that! Sending lots of love and good thoughts to your baby girl!!

Even though we check with a flashlight to be sure there are no racoons, skunks, etc. in our back yard, I somehow missed seeing this one (and I feel terrible about it). At 4:15 the four dogs ran into a large racoon. Fiona has a huge gash under her muzzle that is very deep. It looks like it tore a lot of tissue. Her front left canine tooth is sticking out at an angle and may be torn at the root. I rushed her to our vet and she is currently being evaluated and treated.

Thank heavens Zeke was out there with her. I saw her freeze and if he had not jumped on the racoon and driven it to run, she would have suffered many more wounds. Although he chased it to a corner, I managed to call him off before he could be hurt and the racoon went over the fence.

Because I missed seeing this racoon Fiona may lose her tooth and is going to need a lot of stitches to close the deep wound she received. I try to be so careful and vigilant and protect them - but feel that I failed her big time this morning.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I'm so sorry that Fiona was hurt! Don't beat yourself up about it. It was an accident and you had tried to check for raccoons before! Please keep us updated on Fiona's progress!

It wasn't your fault! Those varmints are designed to be stealthy and undetectable. Prayers going up for Fiona's fast recovery and please give BRAVE ZEKE a giant attaboy for protecting his little sister! What a courageous and faithful hound he is! Not to mention obedient-not many dogs would have even heard a "call off" with all that excitement.

Mary, you are amazingly prepared for anything!

Some interesting points about rabies: because it's transmitted in saliva (and not in blood), even if a pup has no wounds, there's still the risk of his having the feral animal's saliva somewhere on his body. It's a long stretch, but theoretically, if you come in contact with the fresh saliva on his coat, and you have even a small wound on your hand, the virus could be transmitted. I know... it really *does* seem to be a long stretch, but most State Veterinarians or ER staff will tell you that even a very small risk isn't worth taking. If you had the coon's carcas, it could be sent to the state lab and rabies could be definitively ruled out (or in), but when you don't have that option, you have to eliminate any risk by assuming the worst.

Read through the CDC guidelines on various types of exposure, as well as the likelihood that various types of feral animals will be rabid. Raccoons unfortunately have to be assumed rabid unless proven otherwise by brain biopsy.

CDC guidelines on rabies exposure

Try to contact your ACO, or even discuss with your vet.

Take care!

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Yikes!

I hope she is home and feeling better soon.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

The vet just called and said the wound was very deep and she was quite torn up. She has a drain in the wound which will come out in 5 days and quite a few stitches to heal. They had to remove the front canine as it was torn from the ligaments. We don't know exactly what happened to her to cause such damage to the tooth but fortunately the jaw is not fractured or injured. My little girl is in a great deal of pain so she'll be on antibiotics and two kinds of pain medication. The vet said as bad as it is, it could have been much worse if Zeke had not intervened and the raccoon had continued to slash her. I'll be picking her up in a few hours and hope she heals without any complications.

Zeke is going to get ice cream and cookies tonight!

Thanks to everyone for being here - it's been a difficult knowing how badly she was hurt and hard not to think "If only I had.....".

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

So glad it was not worse. Prayers for easy healing for your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Poor baby girl! Please don't beat yourself up though. Even the most vigilant of moms will miss things occasionally. Prayers for a speedy, uncomplicated recovery :grouphug

Guest greytbookert

I hope Fiona feels better soon! her wounds sound awful! Don't beat yourself up about this, it wasn't your fault.

Hugs to you and Fiona!

Oh, the poor girl! That's scary, but how could you predict the appearance of a critter like that? I always look out too, but one day, missed my neighbor's cat in the yard! I keep telling them she'd be safer inside after she almost died somewhere in the neighborhood, but that's another story. Luckily, she darted out of the fence, but I shudder to think what might have happened.

I hope your sweet girl continues to improve each day. Let us know how she's doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh dear. Poor lil' peanut. :cry1 Sending loads of prayers to your precious girlie for quick healing. Your boy did good protecting his sis. :kiss2 Be gentle with yourself. :grouphug Your experience serves as a very effective reminder for all of us to be extra vigilant about what's "out there."

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Best wishes from us :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

it's been a difficult knowing how badly she was hurt and hard not to think "If only I had.....".

:shakefinger No, no, no mama... Everything you've said makes it obvious that you are an uber-prepared houndmama. Short of pulling out a ouija board and crystal ball ( :lol ) there was no way you could have seen this coming. No hindsight allowed, because when it comes to wildlife, there's no foolproof way to outthink a desperate critter.

You take every precaution in keeping your pups safe. This was a horrid accident that you're in no way responsible for. So be as gentle with yourself as you'll be with Fiona while you nurse her back to health.

Oh, and for Zeke? Maybe a whole ice cream cake and a medal of honor? :clap

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

Healing prayers for Fiona. Being a bad momma would be not checking,,you do the best you can but sometimes stuff happens. But extra cookies and high praise for your super hero dog Zeke.

Guest greybookends

You did all you could. Sometimes things happen in spite of all of our precautions. Do not beat yourself up. Sending prayers up for Fiona and sending hugs to Zeke.

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Poor Fiona- hope she heals quickly.

A few years ago, Janet and Faster (both muzzled), treed a racoon in our back yard in mid-afternoon. Each dog got a bite... racoon was spared due to their muzzles-- but he was certainly NOT HAPPY. A racoon in daylight in suburbia is never a normal event. We'll skip the part about the animal control people (finally) showing up -- but without a trap/ cage, and then telling Mark that they couldn't go up in a tree after the racoon, and the racoon's eventual escape.

Unlike you, Mark did not wear gloves when cleaning up the blood and spit (my first question to him when he called me at work... are you wearing gloves!!!-- we have them in several locations in the house..)-- there was blood and saliva all over everyone. Janet and Faster each got a rabies booster, wound cleaning, and antibiotics. Human Dog-dad had to get the rabies series-- immune globulin plus the other shots. I think he had to go back once (as you can tell, I'm not the one who got the shots or I would remember). He survived the shots, although he did not like them-- due to the volume, they cannot give it all into one site.

But while they were concerned about the exposure to bodily fluids, the main reason the ER gave him the rabies series was because of the risk of rabies spread by aerosolized saliva (there are a couple of cases in the medical literature) ... (the racoon was spitting and hissing).

I'm just paranoid about things like rabies. I would get the shots and be done with it. You can google the symptoms of rabies and the mortality rates etc-- it's not pretty and it's not trivial. And a racoon in the daytime is either very lost or sick.

Hugs to Fiona and Zeke, too -- and I would vote FOR the shots!

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.