Fiona & Racoon Attack

Even though we check with a flashlight to be sure there are no racoons, skunks, etc. in our back yard, I somehow missed seeing this one (and I feel terrible about it). At 4:15 the four dogs ran into a large racoon. Fiona has a huge gash under her muzzle that is very deep. It looks like it tore a lot of tissue. Her front left canine tooth is sticking out at an angle and may be torn at the root. I rushed her to our vet and she is currently being evaluated and treated.

Thank heavens Zeke was out there with her. I saw her freeze and if he had not jumped on the racoon and driven it to run, she would have suffered many more wounds. Although he chased it to a corner, I managed to call him off before he could be hurt and the racoon went over the fence.

Because I missed seeing this racoon Fiona may lose her tooth and is going to need a lot of stitches to close the deep wound she received. I try to be so careful and vigilant and protect them - but feel that I failed her big time this morning.

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes, poor pupper! Accidents happen, don't beat yourself up. Fingers crossed Fiona heals quickly. Be sure to check Zeke for even small wounds also. Raccoons can be disease carriers. :(

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

oh no!!! :( :( :(

sending many healing hugs and prayers to your girl! :hope :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Your pup is in my thoughts!

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!

Sending lots of prayers.

Don't beat yourself up, please. I do the same thing w/flashlight, and it is easy to miss a still critter with eyes facing away from you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mary, no one takes better care of their dogs or is more vigilant than you are. As much as we try to cover every possibility accidents DO happen. Fiona will be fine. She is in good hands. Yours!!

Take care and please try not to blame yourself.

Feel better sweet Fiona. Keep us posted please Mary.

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Ouch, poor baby..... Please don't feel bad, you DID check for raccoons..... they are just hard to see sometimes :(

Guest shanesmom

Sending good thoughts for Fiona. Please try not to be so hard on yourself. You did go out with a flashlight. Accidents do happen. :bighug

Healing thoughts for Fiona - and for you! There's no way you could have predicted this, so be gentle on yourself!

Very important, though: have you been vaccinated against rabies? Even though you didn't come in direct contact with the raccoon, you probably DID come in contact with saliva while holding and examining your pups. This is exactly how rabies can be transmitted, and since you don't have the raccoon to have it tested, you really, really need to get yourself to your doctor or ER to start the series. (You'll be given immune globulin in addition to Imovax to provide you with rapid immunity.) If you have any questions, contact your local ACO for recommendations, but here in NH we'd definitely immunize you. If you have had the rabies series, you'd just need a booster.

So please, Mary, while Fiona is getting the care she needs, YOU need to do the same!

I've given the rabies series innumerable times to patients in the ER and our office - feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Jordan

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Oh man. I hope Fiona is okay. This may be of little consolation, but a few years ago I let the hounds out on a pretty autumn morning. There was a squirrel in the neighbor's yard but quite a distance away. The hounds ran out woof! woof! woof! and instead of running away from the barking dogs - it ran toward my yard and attempted to climb a pine tree along my fenceline to escape.

Well, Indy snagged the squirrel by the tail and yanked it down. He shook the squirrel like a ragdoll while the squirrel chattered and wrapped itself around his muzzle trying valiantly to free itself. It was just awful but there was nothing I could do. Then I heard Indy cry out. The squirrel ultimately lost but before conceding defeat it clocked Indy in the face just barely missing his eye. Indy suffered a nasty gash from the squirrel's nails - which required a trip to the ER vet as it was on the weekend (of course).

The vet cleaned and stapled him (no time for fancy sutures at the ER vet) -- and Indy sported a lamp shade for ten days. Indy has a scar next to his eye (which gives him character) but otherwise no subsequent problems.

Like you, I felt absolutely awful about what happened. :cry1 I'm very careful with my dogs and go out of my way to avoid danger and potentially bad situations. I'm very sorry this happened but please don't be too hard on yourself.

Hugs to you and Fiona. :dogcookie

Thanks everyone for all your good thoughts and kind words. No word yet from the vet's office - I'm waiting on pins and needles but they are always good about letting me know as soon as they finish with her.

Jordan, thank you for that good advice. Fortunately we keep a supply of plastic medical gloves right near the back door due to too many past brushes with woodland creatures. I pulled them on before cleaning Fiona's mouth out with C.E.T. rinse to clear it and washing & treating the wound. Then I washed my hands several times after throwing the gloves out. Hopefully it was a thorough enough precaution against any contact with the racoon saliva. My husband had a pair on when he checked over the other dogs for any signs of contact but Zeke doesn't even have a scratch - Bailey & Tasha chose to watch and observe.

Fiona will be getting a booster Rabies shot to be safe. Rabies is too scary to take lightly!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest TBSFlame
Thanks everyone for all your good thoughts and kind words. No word yet from the vet's office - I'm waiting on pins and needles but they are always good about letting me know as soon as they finish with her.

Jordan, thank you for that good advice. Fortunately we keep a supply of plastic medical gloves right near the back door due to too many past brushes with woodland creatures. I pulled them on before cleaning Fiona's mouth out with C.E.T. rinse to clear it and washing & treating the wound. Then I washed my hands several times after throwing the gloves out. Hopefully it was a thorough enough precaution against any contact with the racoon saliva. My husband had a pair on when he checked over the other dogs for any signs of contact but Zeke doesn't even have a scratch - Bailey & Tasha chose to watch and observe.

Fiona will be getting a booster Rabies shot to be safe. Rabies is too scary to take lightly!

That's really a very good idea.

:goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)