Fiona & Racoon Attack

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh - poor Fiona! I am SO glad it wasn't any worse. Zeke should be promoted to Greyhound God! :bow:star:bow2 I hope she heals quickly & well.

(Notes to self - put gloves by back door & be very afraid of raccoons from Maine. :eek )

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Winterwish

Wow Mary how scarey just seeing that bite! I'm so glad Fiona is back home with you,the best place in the world for her to be. :dogcookie:getwell:heart

Guest Energy11

Drains always make things look worse :"-( Glad she is healing well. Yes, I'd make a lot of noise when you let them out, in addition to the lights. WE leave two spotlights on in the smaller (nighttime) turnout pen from dusk to dawn, but use the energy-saving bulbs. Helps us see if there is anything out there. Good Luck!

Guest KennelMom

Poor girl! I'm glad to hear she's on the mend :getwell

I am in the process of having motion detector lights installed on the back of our garage to prevent anything like this from happening again. It should deter any critters that want to hang around our property (I hope!).

I never thought about it before, but we have a motion sensor flood light and a regular ol' street lamp that light up our back yard...I wonder if that's why we've been lucky to have few encounters with wildlife larger than a squirrel or rabbit. We live in the country and racoons and possums are all over the place.

Just to be safe, I will probably still check with my flashlight and search the backyard before letting the dogs out when it's dark. The motion sensor lights will provide the additional lighting to the parts of the yard that are in shadow (those areas that can't be seen clearly with a bright flashlight) and hopefully give me the needed illumination that I didn't have.

Fiona is less sleepy this afternoon and has been more active. She's been looking for snacks so I gave her some warm potatoes with pieces of baked ham mixed in. I've also placed a thick baby sock over her foot and secured it with vet wrap & tape. This is so she won't scratch at the stitches (the e-collar doesn't work on her tiny neck and our usual T-shirt method won't protect the face wound). She has that "Oh Momma, what are you doing to me?" look on her face. I ran to the store for milk and she was at the door to greet me with a wagging tail. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Now that was a sight for sore eyes!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Oh my goodness - I just read through the entire thread and I really feel for you and poor Fiona!

You were so good and prepared, and this was just a horrible accident. You did everything right (even to putting gloves on in the heat of the moment - wow - that's thinking clearly under pressure!!)

I'm glad that Fiona will be okay, and that Zeke was able to defend her (good Zeke!!) I've got my fingers crossed that everything heals up quickly and easily. I know it looks terrible now, but you probably won't even be able to tell (other than the missing tooth) in a few months.

FL

Guest IrskasMom

OMG .... This is aweful and that is exactly what I am fearing here in my Backyard ( because there have been sightings of

a fat Racoon ) that borders on an Runoff from the County and lots of Trees. Every Morning ,I turn the Decklight on and

hopefully , that little Critter hits the Road. This is quiet some Damage he did on Fiona . Sending Prayers and gentle Hugs for

that Girl and an uneventful, peaceful , restful Night. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:dogcookie

So glad to hear that Fiona is getting back to her happy, waggy self, and is eating mama's home cooking :) . And did Zeke enjoy his hero celebration last night?

Oh Yes, my big boy had a great time with Peanut Butter Biscuit cookies and some nice vanilla ice cream. He seemed to think we should have it again tonight - I hope he hasn't been "inspired" to go on to look for more creatures. We've had enough backyard adventures for a while!

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Guest TurnerMiller01

AWWWW... just thinking of poor Fiona... I just read thru this post now from start to finish... I dont know how i missed it until now... but i did. and I am so sorry that this happened to all of you... what a horrible thing to happen... my heart breaks for you and for the dog ....

however I am so glad that she was up and tail waggin... thats wonderful news...

but my heart just broke to see that picture of the wound and the drain.

Send many Get Well Wishes Your Way.. and many prayers for a speedy recovery.

f_yellow:bighug:getwellf_yellow

Fiona is doing very well this morning. She had an easier time eating her softened breakfast and seems more herself. It was nice to see her climb on the couch a while ago - she hasn't done that since this happened. She was perkier when I took her outside and is definitely on the mend. The swelling and bruising on her face is not as harsh today and when the drain comes out it can really start to heal. Fio gets her medication with her food (including the pain pills) so she is back to being "fuzzy" again but sleeping and healing is what she needs right now and she seems to be pretty comfortable.

We feel very fortunate the damage wasn't worse and are relieved to see her looking better each day. Thanks again for all your good thoughts - they are definitely working big time! :colgate

Glad to hear she's doing so well. How soon do the drains come out?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Glad to hear she's doing so well. How soon do the drains come out?

The drains will come out Friday Morning and for the moment there doesn't seem to be any more discharge coming out. She (and I) will feel much better when they are removed. It's one step closer to moving the healing along. Our vet thinks there may be only a tiny scar left when her hair grows back. Poor little pumpkin has such a tiny face! :wub: She's the smallest of our greyhounds.