Loca Yet Again

I know I've been posting a lot about Loca and I'm sure that some think I'm overreacting but I'm really worried about Loca. She's had chronic UTIs and was recently diagnosed with pseudomonas aeguginosa and strep g along the urinary tract, spreading to her glands. the vet ruled out lymphoma.

i've been giving her 75 mg of baytril and around 55 mg of clamavox twice a day for almost two weeks now and she has enough for another 1.5 weeks at least. Yesterday she was given 125 mg of pyran because phene was exposed to hookworm. she seemed to have been doing better but tonight she seems to be in a considerable amount of discomfort. i've just taken her out for the sixth time this evening because she's been panting so much, but i suspect her panting is due to being uncomfortable. she had been able to walk longer distances but now she can just walk a short distance without needing to stop. Her appetite is good and she's back to eating her normal food. She's 13.5 years old. Her senior bloodwork all came out normal a couple of months ago and aside from frequent UTIs, she's been healthy.

is all of this normal for pseudomonas aeguginosa and strep g? is it ok to give her such strong antibiotics for such a long period of time? is there anything that the vet and i could be missing?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gnevins
I know I've been posting a lot about Loca and I'm sure that some think I'm overreacting but I'm really worried about Loca. She's had chronic UTIs and was recently diagnosed with pseudomonas aeguginosa and strep g along the urinary tract, spreading to her glands. the vet ruled out lymphoma.

i've been giving her 75 mg of baytril and around 55 mg of clamavox twice a day for almost two weeks now and she has enough for another 1.5 weeks at least. she seemed to have been doing better but tonight she seems to be in a considerable amount of discomfort. i've just taken her out for the sixth time this evening because she's been panting so much, but i suspect her panting is due to being uncomfortable. she had been able to walk longer distances but now she can just walk a short distance without needing to stop. Her appetite is good and she's back to eating her normal food. She's 13.5 years old. Her senior bloodwork all came out normal a couple of months ago and aside from frequent UTIs, she's been healthy.

is all of this normal for pseudomonas aeguginosa and strep g? is it ok to give her such strong antibiotics for such a long period of time? is there anything that the vet and i could be missing?

I don`t know the answers to any of your questions...but Starbucks and I hope Loca is feeling better soon!!!!!! She has been throught a lot in the past few weeks!!!! xoxo

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh, Robin... I don't have any advice, but please know that Loca is in my prayers; I hate it that she is having such a hard time. Do you still have the pain meds for her? It sure does sound like she is hurting again... Loca, sweetie, I am thinking abut you and really hope hat you start to feel better soon!

Guest KennelMom

I'm sorry I don't have any experience or advice on Loca's situation, but I'm keeping her in my prayers :hope I know what it's like to be worried about a senior gal :( Hopefully someone will have some advice and re-assurance for you and hopefully Loca starts feeling better soon...

Well, I don't know about that specific ailment, but what choice do you have but to give her the meds?

If it helps at all, my Kramer had a bone infection, and took two kinds of powerful antibiotics for months--and not only did he recover, they didn't seem to have any ill effects.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Is there any way to test to see if the infections are receding? I.e., that the antibiotics are actually doing the job?

If they are shown to be working, then I'd probably redo blood and urine, and maybe explore having an abdomenal ultrasound, to rule anything extra out, but this isn't based on experience, just what my instincts would be.

Hope things turn around for Loka soon Robin.

I'd probably put a call into the vet and, as Rickiesmom suggests, ultrasound bladder area and abdomen just to check.

Is she still getting pepcid or something for her tummy?

Clavamox always slows Zema down, but it's never made her pant or seem uncomfortable.

{{{{{{{{{{Loca}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, but praying :hope non-stop for Loca. :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Continued prayers and good thoughts for Loca and hugs to you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I too use acidophilus or probiotics. Webber has a "Women's Probiotic" with cranberry--you might be able to kill two birds with one stone--one of my sisters has been using it for a UTI prone (young) dog with success.

Get better soon Loca!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Unfortunately Pseudomonas is a tough bacteria to rid of. I would absolutely culture the urine again once she has finished the course of antibiotics. In the meantime is she a candidate for a NSAID like Metacam? It sure would help her with the bladder inflammation and discomfort. I would also make sure she's drinking enough--perhaps give her canned food-it will add moisture to her diet. One more thing you can do is give her a cranberry supplement (RX Vitamin has a great one)--there has been recent research that has found that the cranberry inhibits and bacteria from lining the bladder wall.

Unfortunately Pseudomonas is a tough bacteria to rid of. I would absolutely culture the urine again once she has finished the course of antibiotics. In the meantime is she a candidate for a NSAID like Metacam? It sure would help her with the bladder inflammation and discomfort. I would also make sure she's drinking enough--perhaps give her canned food-it will add moisture to her diet. One more thing you can do is give her a cranberry supplement (RX Vitamin has a great one)--there has been recent research that has found that the cranberry inhibits and bacteria from lining the bladder wall.

thank you! i had been giving metacam but stopped. i'll start again as needed. i'll also look for a cranberry supplement. i've been adding chicken broth to her kibble as well as a bit of canned food and it seems that she is drinking water again (that had stopped, also).

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Energy11

We are praying for Loca and keeping her in our thoughts, too!

To ME, all the stuff she is on, is more than likely, upsetting her stomach. I'd use the Pepcid, Metacam, and try plain yogert and unflavored pumpkin (if she'll eat it) for the stomach. If this continues, yes, I'd see the vet again.

Hope this all works out for you!

Hugs to you both, from all of us here! D :grouphug

I agree with Mary too Robin, I would put a call into the vet. Went through many UTI's with Misty, some easier to get rid of then others.

I don't think the length of time she's been on the antibiotics is a concern.

Hoping to hear she starts feeling better, I sure do understand your concern and worry.

Please tell her she needs to feel better so she can plan her trip here to the desert

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

You were probably already doing something like this anyway, but FWIW, when I need to give Rickie Metacam, I wait til right after he eats, and then mix it into a little vanilla Ensure. We've never had any issues doing this way, but of course it's a very individual thing.

Guest jettcricket

....poor Loca and poor you. Hoping you both get relief soon and that she's cured of this nasty infection.

Wish I had some knowledge to add, but at least there are some people here with good advice. It must be so frustrating for you. If you know exactly what you are dealing with, sometimes it's easier. You can form some kind of plan. But when they get to be 13, you can't help but worry. She's a tough old girl, but she doesn't make things simple, does she?

Loca, sweet girl, you and your Mom are in our prayers!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Wish I had some knowledge to add, but at least there are some people here with good advice. It must be so frustrating for you. If you know exactly what you are dealing with, sometimes it's easier. You can form some kind of plan. But when they get to be 13, you can't help but worry. She's a tough old girl, but she doesn't make things simple, does she?

Loca, sweet girl, you and your Mom are in our prayers!

Thanks, Nancy. To be honest with you, I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by this. I now understand what an emotional rollercoaster it is having a sick dog. Not to mention expensive. very expensive :eek

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Sending prayers!

I know what you mean about expensive. Burp was on baytril for 3 weeks once and when he had his gastritis, zithromax (before generic) for 3 weeks!

Are you giving her bottled water?

i am. i am now up to $1400 and i'm sure there will be many more Loca related expenses before she is better! :weep don't get me wrong, she's worth every penny :wub:

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest BlackandBrindle

I know personally how painful kidney ailments can be and how uncomfortable a bad UTI is so I'd definitely start her back on the metacam as needed. Poor Loca and poor you!

I hope she feels better soon!

Guest Energy11

Hey Robin!

Yes, I DEFINITELY KNOW what you are going through. With My Curfew, it is a day, by day thing. He is still up and down at night, but not as bad, but is losing weight :-(

The vet her wanted to do a special test for Cushings Disease, and Dr. Couto recommended against it. What he says, goes, for me. The food Curfew is on is Science Diet Prescription BD, which seems to be helping his congnition.

Curfew is only 7! I DID NOT THINK I'd be going thru something like this (probable brain tumor) with a dog this young :-(

Poor Loca! Poor You! I TOTALLY understand what this is like! Please keep us posted on her progress and ... We are here for you! Dee

Guest multiplicity

I am a bit surprised that the vet gave her the Pyran...did you get a fecal done on either Phene or Loca?

One of my boys is prone to UTIs and I find that the cranberry tablets work awesome! I also add broth (low sodium) to his meals and offer him diluted broth often through out the day/evening to increase bladder flushing and voiding.

I hope Loca can beat these "bladder-bugs" soon! :goodluck