Loca Yet Again

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i'm being a big baby but i keep thinking that we've missed something. i had my first "maybe you should put her to sleep" comment at work the other day and it really threw me for a loop.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

blood test

urinalysis (many)

urine culture and vaginal discharge culture

bladder xray

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest jettcricket
i know i'm being a big baby but i keep thinking that we've missed something. i had my first "maybe you should put her to sleep" comment at work the other day and it really threw me for a loop.

....sometimes people are so ignorant and so insensitive. :angry: Like Diane said, ignore them and your not being a big baby.....you love your girl and your worried about her.

Robin, I can't post what my reply would be to your co-workers, but I think you get the idea.

A few people were saying that to me about Misty and they had never even met her, they felt that because of the expenses. Two people I will never speak to again.

I had that we're missing something feeling and mine turned out to be true. IF they are missing something, let's pray that whatever it may be is minor.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

i could ignore those comments if they were only about the expense, but when "she's 13 and what about her quality of life" is added, it's even worse. this thread had turned into therapy time for robin :crazy:censored:violin

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

One of the important things you neglected to mention: does she have good poop???? :colgate

:lol semi formed. could be much worse :lol i'm happy with her poop :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Does she still have attitude? Would she steal a bag of peanuts if you left it lying around? Or some likker?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Quality of life is something we all may judge differently. You know Loca like no one else.

I really wish this wasn't happening!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

I feel sorry for people that have never experienced the love of a greyhound or a pet of this degree........ it's from the lack of love and experience that the wrong comments can come........ we have a better understanding of that and therefore our lives are so much more fulfilled and blessed...............

Sending extra paws in prayers for you and the family - especially Loca...........

Just thoughts...... could be way off......... but tick diseases can be so misdiagnosed....... and can have such weird symptoms.. and simple ones. May be worth a test or two?? 10 vets in 2 states didn't believe the new vet when she wanted to test and treat my angel Lambie....... after she was gone - we found out that vet was right...... but her signs were a lot different than Loca's.

Tina dogmom to Rocket and Angels Cofax (my girl) 5/9/01-7/1/10(OS), ReRun (my boy)(4/18/95-4/19/07 Heart tumor)) Dedicating my life as much as I could - to keeping the smile alive of my Lambie Pie - lost 12/04 to Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever.... & then there's the hubby - Bob

.... http://www.freewebs.com/3nofleas/ .

Guest gnevins

Hey Robin...Hang in there!!!! Does she still have attitude?! :P My guess is YES!!!

Let me know if I can do anything!!!! :grouphug

It sounds like she started with an infection and you've not gotten it cleared up. Either the wrong atb or not long enough.

Here is everything you want to know about bacteria

Bacteria

Types of tests from lab:

Lab readings

Do you have her on at least 6 acidophillus pills a day?

I would wipe her butt with a baby wipe after she goes. Since she is not totally solid, maybe(?) she is getting fecal material downward.

Has she had a TBD panel?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Well of course you are worried about her, she's not feeling well! You are not being a baby at all!

It is so hard when they get older, it seems to take longer to shake things off, and you worry about anything that seems a little different. I hope the meds take care of the nasty infections, and she can be more comfortable until they finish doing their job. I SO wish they could talk at times like this!

Try not to listen to people who tell you what to do about her (except us, of course :rolleyes: ) When Sugar went into kidney failure last year, I heard from some people that I should have put her down a lot earlier (old, poor health, yada yada) and then I got it from the other side from someone who thought I had let her go too soon :angry:

If you are feeling like something has been missed, can you talk it over with your vet? Do a "what else could be going on, and how would we check?"

:bighug:getwell

Guest 4baddogs

Zoe develops immunity to antibiotics like you can't imagine - could that be the case with Loca? Fortunately, Baytril seems to be her drug of choice because she was on it for about 3 months at a time without a problem. :)

When her elbow problem first surfaced and wouldn't clear up, Dr. Beebe had to reculture it over and over because the bacteria would change and become immune to whatever antibiotic he put her on. Same thing happened when she was diagnosed with her bladder infection last fall/early winter. It took THREE rounds out different antibiotics to get rid of it because she kept becoming immune to whatever she was on within about a week.

Don't feel like you're overreacting or calling the vet too much. You're Loca's mom and that's what you're supposed to do! :)

I hope she's better soon.

I am so sorry to hear this Robin! When are you & Loca going to get a break from this? :(

I have no medical advice for this, just wanted to send hugs :grouphug :grouphugs

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Zoe develops immunity to antibiotics like you can't imagine - could that be the case with Loca? Fortunately, Baytril seems to be her drug of choice because she was on it for about 3 months at a time without a problem. :)

that's very possible. she's been on both clamavox and baytril in the past. the real problem with what's she's got is that it's resistant to almost all kinds of antibiotics. the drug of choice is gentamicin, which we can't use because it could wreck Loca's kidneys.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Guest sorenkkg
Thanks, Nancy. To be honest with you, I'm feeling completely overwhelmed by this. I now understand what an emotional rollercoaster it is having a sick dog. Not to mention expensive. very expensive :eek

I feel you on this Robin-- Haka's ringworm, which you'd think would not be a huge deal (ok, I thought it wouldn't be a huge deal-- some pills or something, and done) has turned into a HUGE expensive deal. Our last visit to the vet was over $400. Won't be the last either... sigh.

I think the advice here is good, and all I can add is that last time I had a bad UTI I didn't want to drink b/c it hurt to pee (tmi, sorry) but the dr said I had to drink MORE than normal, to help flush everything out.

So it's good she is drinking again, and moisture in the food... I'm wondering if you could spike her water with chicken or beef broth, to encourage her to drink even more?

that's very possible. she's been on both clamavox and baytril in the past. the real problem with what's she's got is that it's resistant to almost all kinds of antibiotics. the drug of choice is gentamicin, which we can't use because it could wreck Loca's kidneys.

I'm not familiar with Gentamicin but would she have to be on it so long that it would affect her kidneys?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

I'm not familiar with Gentamicin but would she have to be on it so long that it would affect her kidneys?

I think that's a good question. IIRC gentamicin is used for Alabama rot. In that case, you're talking about saving the dog's life, but still worth asking. There's also Zeniquin, same class as Baytril (and even more $$$) .......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If you have a urinary tract infection with two different types of bugs, it is very difficult to get rid of because each one usually reacts better to a different antibiotic. So usually, the treatment ends up being an antibiotic that both are "sorta" sensitive to. It can take a long time on antibiotics to clear something like this up.

I might suggest having another culture done to make sure that it is still the same two bugs and the sensitivity to antibiotics have stayed the same. Sometimes a bacteria can develop resistance to an antibiotic and in a case like that, the vet would need to maybe look at other antibiotics.

I would also talk to the vet and see what he thinks about having a blood culture done.

Please try to ignore the comments about "putting her to sleep". People aren't making those comments because she is a (shhhhhh) "dog", they are making them because they are stupid. Trust me, I know. I wouldn't be surprised to find out I hold the world's record for dumbest comments ever received - everything from it must be nice to be so rich that I can afford to take Sirocco to an opthamologist to I should have stopped feeding ds when he was a baby until he learned to walk on his own.

I hope Loca feels better very quickly.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon