Jack - 'flashing Star'

silverfish

PirateSnowCrop-750CJS.jpg

Jack came into our lives as a nearly ten-year-old bounce. He'd lived with an old lady, who reputedly fed him whatever she was eating herself, and apparently didn't take much care of his medical needs, because he'd had a dental at the rescue, and very soon needed another. He ended up with all his front teeth, canines and incisors, but only one on one side at the back, and a little group of three or four on the other side - just enough to chew with. He was thin, too, but irrepressively cheerful. Anyway, his old lady had a stroke and the relatives didn't want him so he bounced.

We had just lost Jim and Renie was mourning, and looking quite depressed. We decided another older dog would suit her better, and so we drove halfway across the country with her so she could meet Jack. There were a LOT of dogs in the house and Renie was intimidated. While they were in the house she did nothing but growl at him each time he came close, but he did keep trying, and something made us decide to take them for a walk to see how they were outside, and they were fine! When we agreed to adopt him, Jack jumped into our motorhome, walked up and down to investigate, and then settled down to sleep for the entire journey - he'd already made himself at home.

Jack was a great investigator. When he arrived at our house, he immediately trotted off and did a complete tour, round and round the kitchen, lounge, dining room and hall, till he realised he'd seen all those rooms already, in and out of the office, up the stairs and into all the rooms, including the bathroom, where he stretched his nose up as high as it could go to smell all the shelves. He poked his head into corners, behind furniture, anywhere it would go. Renie followed him for a while, but soon gave up, bemused, and when Jack was satisfied that he'd investigated everything, he picked up a stuffie and plonked himself down on the nearest bed with a rather smug expression on his sweet face and the stuffie still clutched between his jaws.

JackGigglingDuckFirstDay.jpg

He hadn't been allowed toys in his foster home because of the likelihood of the dogs fighting over them, but Jack was clearly in love with stuffies. He loved the yellow ones. The giggling duck - the one he'd first picked up - had yellow on it, but the yellow chick and the yellow duck became his favourites, and until he got old, he would always meet us at the door with one clamped in his mouth, which he would then toss around in glee. He'd do it when the leads came out too.

He was our clown, he was irrepressible, he was enthusiastic. He thought he was a puppy, right up until this last illness. And Renie took him under her wing and took on the role of his protector, whether he wanted it or not! She would get between him and other dogs, out on walks, and make sure they didn't bounce at him. She was the 'garden police' and would announce when he went out, and make sure he came in. She would chase him up the garden - or he would chase her. And when she left us, I think he missed her more than we realised. He seemed perfectly OK, apart from checking the other beds from time to time (especially when it was time for a walk), but he became our velcro dog, without Renie. He slept with me during these last weeks, and would run in and get on his bed when it was time, waiting for me to join him. For the first time, he allowed (and seemed to enjoy) hugs and kisses.

I do hope he was happy with us. We tried our best to make him happy and provide what he needed. I think he was happy, right up till this last week, and then I feel we let him down. Not my fault the vet wouldn't come out, of course, but during both his and Renie's last days I was unable to care for them and hug them quite as well as I should have done because of the timing of my shoulder surgery. It took much longer to get him inside that horrible Friday, because there was no way on earth I could lift him.

I guess we always feel guilty. But what I feel mostly is incredibly sad for him. I think he suffered more than he should have, if ONLY he'd had this episode in the week, or during the day, or when the roads were clear, or when I was fit.

Jack was a very bright little spark in our lives. We loved that little dog to bits. He had such charm, such personality, such a mix of bravery and spookiness and there will never be another Jack.

Goodbye, sweetheart. You will always live in our hearts.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cry1 :cry1

Judy sadhugsmiley.gifsadhugsmiley.gifsadhugsmiley.gif

I have NO doubt that Jack lived a happy life with you. Please don't feel guilty, you have nothing at all to feel guilty over. No one controls the weather, injury, and all the other stuff life throws at you. You did everything you could to help him when the time came.

Sending lots of hugs your way. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Farewell, Jack. Run free, sweetie. :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest tobinhr
Jack was a very bright little spark in our lives. We loved that little dog to bits. He had such charm, such personality, such a mix of bravery and spookiness and there will never be another Jack.

Goodbye, sweetheart. You will always live in our hearts.

Stop with the guilt. That statement says it all. Dogs come (and go) in our lives for reasons. I have no doubt you were EXACTLY what Jack needed when he needed it. He'll tell you himself one day....

Jan

Joey, who knows of the Bridge and how to get there....

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Jack. That was a beautiful tribute to him - we all know that he was deliriously happy. He was a fortunate boy to have been so loved. Godspeed Jack! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I am so very sorry for your loss of such a sweet wonderful boy. I know it's hard to not feel guilty right now. I know that in my bones. But try. There is no way on this Earth that you didn't do the very best you possibly could for your beloved boy.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

It sounds like you gave Jack a wonderful life and it was very good of you to take in a senior. It is easy to say but hard to do but you should not second guess yourself. You did what you thought was best for Jack and I am sure that he understands and appreciates your efforts. Godspeed Jack.

Edited by Scottandjo

This has been a difficult few days on this board. I am so sorry for the loss of your very handsome Jack. One thing, for sure, he is with good company right now. I am certain there is a new star shining brightly in the heavens named Jack.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh Judy I was so hoping I wouldn't see this thread for years to come. I am so very sorry.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Oh I am so sorry :( .

We can't control everything, as much as we'd like to, but you did your best and that is all any of us can do.

RIP Jack

f_yellow:grouphug:heart:grouphugf_yellow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest BlackandBrindle

Please don't ever doubt that Jack was happy with you or that you did everything you could for him.

He loved you as much as you loved him and never doubt that for a moment :grouphug

I'm so sorry your sweet boy had to leave.

If only all seniors and bounces could end up at your home. Heaven on earth! He was so well loved and looked so content. My thoughts are with you at this time. May you find peace.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Judy, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is losing two hounds in a short period of time. While I do no know you personally, your posts about your hounds show how very much you love and care for your greys. Jack was very lucky to have bounced into your heart.

Godspeed Jack! :gh_run2

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest siamanti

Dear Julie,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Your Jack was a very special boy and you did everything that you could for him.

Rest in Peace Jack!

Siamanti

Thanks for sharing that beautiful tribute with us, Judy. There's no doubt in my mind that Jack knew you loved him....if it's obvious to us from reading your tribute, surely it was apparent to him. You were blessed to have him, and he was blessed to have you.

My dear friend lost both of her greyhounds within a month of one another, so I can just imagine how devastated you are....my friend still has a hard time dealing with it, and it's been over a year for her....

My deepest sympathies to you on your loss. I've not had to deal with losing a dog yet, and I am already dreading it.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Judy, I am so sorry. Please don't ever feel quilty, Jack knew he was loved. My heart is breaking for you, and I'm sending hugs.

Run with the Angels, Jack.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11