Thoughts For My Asia Girl

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest vahoundlover

:yay:yay Great news!!

Asia sweetie, you be as noisy as you want..just heal quickly and kick this crap in the ARSE!!

Glad to hear she's doing so well! Hopefully she'll be home and zipping around like her old self soon. BTW, which leg was it?

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Glad to hear that she is doing well after surgery. Sending healing prayers for Asia.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Glad to hear she's doing so well! Hopefully she'll be home and zipping around like her old self soon. BTW, which leg was it?

left front

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

What a relief it must be to you, that she's thru surgery and doing so well. Some tough days ahead, I know, but at least that first bit is over. Lots of hugs for you, and some extras for Asia when she is home again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So glad to hear that the surgery has gone well and that she is on her way to recovery now :)

Good girl Asia :wub:

Not to detract from the wonderful forum we have here of course but I do like to point people in the direction of a small, new but growing website which is for 3 legged dogs and their parents. It can be found here http://www.tripawds.com/forums It's nothing to do with me - I just post there with my Darcy stuff :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I hope Asia recovers well and will get used to her new 3 leg situation without too much suffering! My best wishes for you both!

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Audrey, I have been thinking ofyou and Asia today. I'm glad this part is over for you, and that everything went as expected even Asia telling everyone off. You have some hard days ahead of you, but know we are here for you. Prayers for an uneventful healing Miss Asia, and behave yourself please those vets and vet tech's probably haven't experienced a little Diva like yourself. :bighug Hugs to you both.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I hope Asia heals quickly and well, and is soon zipping around your house.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Good girl, Asia, you tell them that nothing can keep a Greyhound down! It warms my heart to hear that she is up and anxious to move around. She'll be home soon.

Thanks for posting the updates. I know we're all thinking about your girl.

Audrey, do you have steps in your house? How do you have things set up for her? Carpet? Wood floors?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest terri643

My eyes fill with tears as I write...but you are doing the right thing for Asia. Be brave! Please know that so many of us out there love you and wish the very best for you and Asia.

Guest Vinnie
So glad to hear that the surgery has gone well and that she is on her way to recovery now :)

Good girl Asia :wub:

Not to detract from the wonderful forum we have here of course but I do like to point people in the direction of a small, new but growing website which is for 3 legged dogs and their parents. It can be found here http://www.tripawds.com/forums It's nothing to do with me - I just post there with my Darcy stuff :)

What a greyt idea for a forum!

And what wonderful news about Asia! Glad that she is already up and about and telling everyone who will listen that she is good to go! Make sure you get plenty of meds to bring home, especially as you are bringing her home on Friday. Hope you get some rest today. Continued prayers and healing thoughts.

Guest longdogs

I'm glad she's over the first hurdle and I'm sure she'll feel so much better once she's home. I really hope things go well for you all.

Guest LadyChester

Thanks for the update ... stay strong, Asia. Audrey, be sure to rest up before her return. You'll probably need it! Prayers for continued good news and healing progress.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for her and you!! :hope

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Good girl, Asia, you tell them that nothing can keep a Greyhound down! It warms my heart to hear that she is up and anxious to move around. She'll be home soon.

Thanks for posting the updates. I know we're all thinking about your girl.

Audrey, do you have steps in your house? How do you have things set up for her? Carpet? Wood floors?

WE are still a bit raw downstairs as far as the addition goes. Still need to install the radiant flooring which will be next month. Asia came first and we need her to heal. So we still have concrete floor and rugs. She will not be able to slip on the floor. I got a baby mattress and I have plenty of towels and quilts. She had a raised feeder and I also borrowed a blow up mattress for myself to sleep on down there with her. I am taking off Friday Monday and Tuesday, I have to be here for a meeting on WEdnsday do Bob will stay home with her. That will be 8 days with around the clock care. I am hoping I can work on Thursday and tend to her needs at lunch from that point on. I don't know I will have to wait and see.

Bev I have explored that site, that is where I saw that harness that I guess I dont' really need. I have not gone to the forums yet. Guess I will see you there!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Good to hear that she is doing well!

One of the things I found helpful with Carrier was to have a few water bowls around within close distance to him because I didn't want him to have to walk to where it was normally kept as he was still gaining strength. So by having water bowls closer and in various spots it allowed him to drink easier. He was thirsty because of some of the meds and also the hard work he had to do with three legs.

Sending you many healing thoughts

here is a copy of one of my messages on Circle of Grey. The people were waiting for their grey to come home after the amputation. It was a list of tips that I learned after Carrier came home. It sounds like you are already doing some of them, so ignore my duplication on those, but I don't have the brain power to edit right now.

Hugs to both of you.

----

Copy from original post from CoG:

It was really tough at first, especially when you are trying to gage

if they are in pain or just needy or even not feeling that great.

But you figure it out and before you know, life is back to normal.

Don't hold back on the pain meds though. Carrier was at OSU for 5

days and high as a kite for 3 of those days. When he came home, he

was on pain meds for another week. Although, Dr Couto told me that

the pain from the surgery is gone after 5 days. If they are crying

after that, it's probably more muscular/skeletal, since they are

using their body different... not to mention only having three legs

to walk. I started giving Carrier massage and that really helped him.

Also, here is a copy of a post that I wrote when Dempsey, a CoG hound

had his amputation.

Some of it may not apply as you are already at home with Poppy, but

some might help.

Good luck Poppy - stay strong and before you know it will be warm and

you will be running as fast as you can!

eva and carrier.

---

Here are some things that I found really helped when Carrier came home:

Have his regular food on hand (if he eats it, great because that is

one less change in his life for now) but also have alternatives,

especially soft food a variety of flavours. Baby food was also

something Carrier ate - plain chicken was his favourite.

If you have hard wood or ceramic floors, make sure you have runners

or area rugs down him. He will slip otherwise.

Sleep with him in the same room so you can monitor him and be near if

he needs you. We slept with Carrier for two weeks on the living room

floor.

Sleep with a night light. we do now and it was a while until we

started using one, but I think Carrier finds comfort in it.

Have water bowls in various rooms that he is in. In the beginning

they don't have the strength to walk all over the place, so for

example, if you are going to set up camp in the living room, make

sure that there is a bowl of water for him there. This will also

encourage him to drink and get up and walk for shorter periods.

Try to have him do his pee and poo before he eats. Unfortunately, our

normal routine was eat and then go out to do the pees and poops. This

really upset Carrier because he had a full tummy and then he was

bouncing all over the place going to the bathroom... major indigestion.

Allow him to eat in the comfort of his bed if he doesn't want to get

up. But make sure he doesn't eat too fast because when they choke

it's tough for them to get the kibble out while sitting down. I hand

fed Carrier for a long time - one because he wasn't eating, but also

because when he did eat, he would hover and then choke. He has

remembered how to eat properly now... on his own and standing. You

can also feed smaller portions throughout the day. Carrier ate half

of his food in the early morning and then the rest in the late

morning and the same for dinner... but he is back to normal now with

his schedule.

Sleep when he sleeps. I don't know if you are working or able to be

home with him, but it's impossible to stock up on sleep before they